• April 25, 2024, 09:01:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 4k support and should I use beta?  (Read 10583 times)

Eric-Tom

• Level 1 Member
4k support and should I use beta?
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »

Hi,
I just brought this NAS and I am familiar with servers. But I have question specific to D-Link because I am a newbie to this NAS. If I want to format my drive in 4K sector with WD 1.5TB WD15EARS with just two drives (NO RAID-I just installed it in RAID and decided to go with just two drives), can I use the Beta Firmware to format my drives and later upgrade to official without losing all my data?

So... I guess what I like to know is if I install beta 1.10 to format, can I upgrade to official one later without losing all my dad on the HDs? I would like 4K support due to performance improvement. I know that D-Link start to support EARS drives. I cannot find any vendor in Calgary that sell EADS drives.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
DIR-825(Main Router)
DIR-655(Used as a wireless access point to extend the coverage)
DGS-1005G 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch
DNS-323 NAS with 2 WD 1.5TB in Standard 2 volume set up
PS3, my own server and 5 other computers on the network with BlackBerry 9700 and iPod on wifi

Eric-Tom

• Level 1 Member
Re: 4k support and should I use beta?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 06:07:08 PM »

Can anyone from D-Link or someone out there who knows tech stuff more than I do help me over here? Please let me know if I have to reformat my two HDss to use 4K on 1.10 firmware?
DIR-825(Main Router)
PS3, my own server and 5 other computers on the network with BlackBerry 9700 and iPod on wifi

ericj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:27:59 PM »

Reading the release notes, 1.10 beta is supposed to support 4K drives up to 2TB in each bay. You have to remember that this is beta firmware and things may go wrong. If you're not feeling easy about being a beta tester, I would wait until the official firmware is released.

I strongly suggest you read the pre-release terms and conditions:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5486.0

Eric

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:00:58 AM »

Can anyone from D-Link or someone out there who knows tech stuff more than I do help me over here? Please let me know if I have to reformat my two HDss to use 4K on 1.10 firmware?

Yes you have to reformat to use 4k but no you don't have to reformat to use 1.10. If you want to take advantage of 4K drives you must reformat them as 4K instead of 512. Unfortunately theres no way to 'change' them over without data corruption.

Eric-Tom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:17:31 PM »

Yes you have to reformat to use 4k but no you don't have to reformat to use 1.10. If you want to take advantage of 4K drives you must reformat them as 4K instead of 512. Unfortunately theres no way to 'change' them over without data corruption.
Thank you for the response from D-Link.... I will wait until this goes off as official and back up all my data by may be buying another DNS-323 with same hard drives.

Thank you for the response. Also, on the same note... do you know why I have to refresh the UPnP server every time I need to watch something on my PS3???
DIR-825(Main Router)

nonlinear

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:06:44 AM »

I'm confused.  Can anyone confirm whether or not upgrading from 1.10 beta to the official 1.10 will erase the data on drives?

Right now, the only thing holding me back from buying a DNS-323 and two 2 TB ADF drives is that I don't know if I can safely move my data to it.  I don't want to lose all of my data when I update the firmware to the official 1.10.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »

There will be no need to 'wipe' the data on official release. I believe the format process in place is pretty solid and even if we changed something I don't think theres any reason to change the alignment or partitioning structure (which would cause you to format again). Those that transition from beta 1.10 to official should have no reason to format again.

harrytasker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 10:43:08 AM »

There will be no need to 'wipe' the data on official release. I believe the format process in place is pretty solid and even if we changed something I don't think theres any reason to change the alignment or partitioning structure (which would cause you to format again). Those that transition from beta 1.10 to official should have no reason to format again.

Any idea when we can expect a "FINAL" release....?

andy pl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »

After installing beta 1.10 rev 7 read transfer rates got slower. I cannot watch blue ray movies converted to MKV format anymore by WD live plus box. Very slow. It worked better with 1.08. I have two WD10EARS 1TB 4k hard drives setup in Raid_1. NAS is connected by TRENDNET 1G switch to WD live and PC with Windows Vista.

I run NAS performance tester 0.4 and looks like read speed is at half of write speed ???
Running a 200MB file write on drive Z: 5 times...
------------------------------
Average (W):     6.59 MB/sec
Running a 200MB file read on drive Z: 5 times...
Average (R):     3.72 MB/sec

Steve Pitts

• Level 2 Member
  • A twelfth man at silly mid on
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:27:59 AM »

After installing beta 1.10 rev 7 read transfer rates got slower
Did you re-format the drives?? If not then using the 1.10 firmware isn't going to improve anything, the issue with the 4K format drives is primarily related to the location of the partitions on the disk and unless you re-format then that will be unchanged.
Cheers, Steve

Running a DNS-323 Rev. C1 with FW 1.10b5, fun_plug 0.5 and 1 Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0, 4K aligned by 1.10FW, in Standard mode as a single volume

andy pl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »

Yes. I have reformatted them after upgrade to beta.
I was able to stream 22GB MKV movie when I had only this one file loaded to DNS.
When I added two more large movies and many files from my MP3
and pictures collection everything got slow.
Also the same movie that played right after upgrade is now in slow motion.

Steve Pitts

• Level 2 Member
  • A twelfth man at silly mid on
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 12:57:56 AM »

I have reformatted them after upgrade to beta
Might be worth checking the underlying partition layout, as per:

Re: Checking format of AFT drives

If that shows that the partitions have been correctly aligned then the only other thing that springs to mind is whether you set any jumpers before inserting the disks in the device (there is a setting to 'fool' older OSes, and I believe that that should NOT be used with the DNS323). Beyond that I'm afraid I'm not using RAID (only having a single HD it would be something of a challenge) so can't offer any direct experiences to assist.
Cheers, Steve

Running a DNS-323 Rev. C1 with FW 1.10b5, fun_plug 0.5 and 1 Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0, 4K aligned by 1.10FW, in Standard mode as a single volume