• April 18, 2024, 08:06:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Ethernet connection works, wireless does NOT  (Read 2891 times)

marknetwork

• Level 1 Member
Ethernet connection works, wireless does NOT
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:53:29 AM »

I have 4 different devices that work perfectly, connected to the DIR-628 via wireless connection.  Then my wife came home with a new laptop (Windows XP) for work.  If I plug it in directly to the router, it works fine.  But it does not collect to the wireless network.  (not sure what version of firmware I have, etc., not sure where to even find that.)

Here's what happens.  When the laptop boots, the wireless icon doesn't even "spin" to look for a wireless network.  This leads me to believe there is an issue with the laptop or wirelss card settings.  I double click the wireless icon, and it shows my network there, but no bars at all- even when i'm standing right next to the router. 

Any thoughts?

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Ethernet connection works, wireless does NOT
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:35:44 AM »

You have not specified the make / model of the laptop.  In general, a "work" laptop might not have been configured to use a wireless network adapter.  Also, it may not even have a wireless adapter.

Access the laptop's manufacturer's web site and find the user manual.  This should give the steps to turn on (aka activate) the wireless adapter.  Once the adapter is "activated,"  you then can configure the correct wireless access (WEP, WPA or WPA2.)