• April 17, 2024, 09:21:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: protected content access using WMP11 and WinXP  (Read 6372 times)

knsdye

• Level 1 Member
protected content access using WMP11 and WinXP
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »

each morning, when turning on the DSM-520, I can always begin playing content, but unless I actually see the Windows SYSTEM eventlog message EVENTID 14209 "A device with IP address '192.168.nnn.nnn' successfully registered itself for protected content retrieval", then, at some point, I'll get a DSM520 error about unable to access content. Sometimes, it will take several power-cycles of the DSM520 to register this message with Windows, and once I do, I can play uninterupted for hours. If I don't see this windows message in the log, I can still play content, but at some point, probably depending on the song, the DSM will error out?.

I would think this registration should happen each time the DSM is powered up? This has been an issue prior to FW 1.05 and I'm now at 1.06.01

Hope this makes sense? I can try to be more specific with messages if necessary.
Thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: protected content access using WMP11 and WinXP
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »

Hmmm I am not familiar with this message. have you tried it with another PC and are you running any anti-virus software?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

knsdye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »

This is an issue with Digital Rights Management and most people would say I'm crazy for even having "protected" media/songs, but, I do have some music with DRM and 50% of the time it plays fine..

The other 50 percent of the time those kinds of songs won't play, I just have to powercycle the DSM520 repeatedly until it "registers" itself for "protected content retrieval" (being very specific here)

If it doesn't register, when trying to play a protected song from a playlist, will generate a windows event 14104 with a error of 0xc00d28a7 which is "NS_E_DRM_MUST_REVALIDATE, The client must be revalidated before executing the intended operation."
Once I get the windows Event 14209 "...successfully registered..." message and I'm good for the rest of the day.

This was something I discussed on another forum and was supposedly being looked at, but I believe will take a firmware update?

All-in-all, I'm TREMENDOUSLY pleased with the DSM-520 streaming music and potential for streaming video.
Thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »

Hmm I will forward this issue to be investigated by product management. Is anyone else using protected content seeing this issue?

knsdye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »

it's easy to duplicate, and the work-around is to keep powercycling the DSM520 until I get the corresponding windows System event log Event 14209 "...successfully registered..." message.

I would think that anyone with DRM media would see this issue considering that the DSM520 seems to be inconsistent with its registration policy.

Question. When you bring these issues to "product management" how/when do you get any feedback from them to share?

Thanks again

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:16:02 AM »

Yeah, I dont get this...anyone else see this issue?