• April 16, 2024, 09:13:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Mac OS X Snow Leopard support  (Read 6154 times)

xavius

• Level 1 Member
Mac OS X Snow Leopard support
« on: August 02, 2010, 04:25:29 PM »

Will a Mac with Snow Leopard installed be able to read and write to drives within DNS-323? I understand they use ext2/3 and it sounds like Snow Leopard does not write to those file formats, its this true? Can someone confirmed that the DNS-323, with updated firmware, works with mac as is (no fiddling and installing stuff on my mac)?

lookingforinfo

Re: Mac OS X Snow Leopard support
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:15:18 PM »

The short answer is, Yes.  After reading comments from others I installed the disks as two standard disks.  FW 1.08 made the difference, but I experienced much frustration prior to that.  I believe it is best to restart each machine, first the D-link and then the Mac, after changes are made on the D-Link.

You will not be able to use the D-link for Time Machine storage without installing hacks to the software.  (It would be fantastic if D-link would implement this capability.) 

Volumes on the D-Link are mounted as SMB file systems and the speed is adequate for my needs.  I now keep my iTunes music on the D-Link but have not tried to listen to songs while working.  To use the system for backups of my OS X files, I have written small, simple shell scripts to copy the desired directories.

I hope this helps.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »

D-Link is not the roadblock, the problem is that Apple does not allow Time Machine backups to SMB mounts.  There is a preference hack that allows it however.  That said I do not think that network Time Machine, especially using a protocol that may not understand all your file names properly, is going to be the worlds greatest idea.
non progredi est regredi

WebScud

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »

D-Link is not the roadblock, the problem is that Apple does not allow Time Machine backups to SMB mounts.  There is a preference hack that allows it however.  That said I do not think that network Time Machine, especially using a protocol that may not understand all your file names properly, is going to be the worlds greatest idea.

The words "hack" and "backup" spell disaster.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:14:28 AM »

Apple is a closed system wherever they play.  I avoid Apple products like the plague for that very reason.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »

Well it is not a hack in the classical sense.  Just a hidden system preference, one command to change it.

That said I agree with their default TM over SMB is a bad idea in anyone's book.
non progredi est regredi

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »

My comment remains. :D

lookingforinfo

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 04:17:20 PM »

I really do not want to get into a an Windows/OS X battle, but we all should look at the Wikipedia translation of "non progredi est regredi", which says, "to not go forward is to go backward".  Apple has built on the power of UNIX and that is something I never had with Windows.  I believe that is moving forward and I believe more and more people also believe this. 

My decision to purchase a 323 was based price, on the storage options and the fact that it would work with my new Mac and my wife's Vista machine over our home network.  With the help of this list and FW 1.08 I have the unit working, but using all available features of OS X.

I think D-Link is starting to be more open to the Apple community and hope it will continue "to go forward".  If that is not the plan, they should be up front about it and let the OS X community know how they fit in the D-Link's future. 

Peace.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »

Maybe Apple should be more open to the 92% of non-Apple systems and not make so many Apple-centric decisions. :)

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »

Well so much for hoping to avoid your comments directly John, thanks for being a productive member of society.

Lets keep the flamebait to a minimum people, I understand people having idealistic differences, discuss them elsewhere.
non progredi est regredi

lookingforinfo

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 11:10:53 AM »

It would be nice to know if Xavius as the answers he needs so we can put this thread to bed.

Is there a way to help other Mac users easily get answers to their questions and not long-winded opinions?  The long-winded opinions I am referring are mine.

Peace.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »

Yes, using SMB or FTP, you don't interact with the filesystem directly.
non progredi est regredi