• March 18, 2024, 09:24:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Change Volume Name  (Read 36012 times)

dallen

• Level 2 Member
Change Volume Name
« on: October 29, 2009, 05:44:30 AM »

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but if it has could someone point me to the answer because my search did not turn one up.  My question is rather straight forward.  Is it possible to modify the volume name of the drives in the DNS-343?  In other words, rather than having my drives named "Volume_1", "Volume_2", "Volume_3", and "Volume_4" I would like to name them something like "Audio", "Video", etc.  Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Change Volume Name
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »

Nope. Unfortunately there is no option for this.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

xatus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:51:50 PM »

Hi!

Only way to change names of volumes is to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
It's only possible, if you have funplug installed.
after editing conf file, run 'smb restart'. But it's only until you reboot NAS.
I did not find way to store this settings permanently.

nunonina

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:09:41 PM »

Although everything said is true, there is a work around:

First create a folder on the/each volume and name it accordingly.
In the admin web interface, go to Advanced -> Network Access, browse that folder and add a new share with full (R/W) permissions to "All accounts" user.
Save settings.
Finally delete volume_1 (and/or volume_2) from the share list.

It may not be renaming the volume but volume_n will be now hidden.

jhtopping

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »

@nunonina:  Thank you for your suggestion.  While it would be nice to be able to rename a volume, especially when there are two NAS units on the local network, your approach gets the job done.  I can now use SuperDuper! and schedule full backups to two different DNS-323 units nightly. 

halftome

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 04:37:55 AM »

THERE IS A WAY!!! And its permanent!

its actually really easy, I found it while snooping around on my DNS-320
I hope it will work for you.

Go to /mnt/HD_a4/.systemfile/.smb.xml

under <name>Volume_1</name>
and under <name>Volume_2</name>

Just rename it to what you want

be sure to do the same for the .smb.xml file under:
/mnt/HD_b4/.systemfile/.smb.xml

Well, I have two HDDs, might be diff, if you have only one or more, just check if you have more folders like "HD_*4"

Anyway, hope this helped have fun :)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 04:57:57 AM »

I would err on the side of caution before committing to this solution, as we do not know if the DNS-343 has any dependencies on .smb.xml or "Volume_X" that may muck things up by performing ad hoc edits to the file.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:55:08 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »

Well, I have two HDDs, might be diff, if you have only one or more, just check if you have more folders like "HD_*4"

Has anyone tested this solution on the DNS-343? Is the solution stable?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

PrimeMatrix

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »

Where do you find "Go to /mnt/HD_a4/.systemfile/.smb.xml"

Kulixix

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 10:02:37 AM »

Where do you find "Go to /mnt/HD_a4/.systemfile/.smb.xml"

Please help...i want also change name of Volume_x. Can you help me and more people, how I can see smb.xml?

Whch software use for this? Pls link and short describle how to see this xml file.

Tnx.

Axel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 12:09:21 PM »

-- Notations used in this post:

- Browser tab:      /TabName\
- Button:         [Command]
- Folder:         !/_/FolderName
- Marking,
 selectors, etc.:   [_] ,  [X] , [v] , (_), (o)

- New icon:         (+)New
- Volume disk
 hardware:         !U!VolumeName

- Windows network
 drive:            [_ii]DriveName (\\NAS_Name) (X:)   (\\NAS_Name) or (\\NAS_address)

- Volume viewed
 as (root) folder:   !/U/VolumeName

-- Few premises first:
- The default VolumeNames in D-Link NAS (2 disks) are "Volume_1" and "Volume_2". There are NO workaround to change such VolumeNames. This is not the purpose of this post but let's assume the VolumeNames can be changed in "hard" way, such as:
a. Telnet, connect to NAS, Linux commands for VolumeName changing...;
b. In ShareCenter, Management, System Management, System Settings, > Configuration Settings, Save Configuration Settings [Save], download Backup_Config file (XML or ZIP[XML]), edit Backup_Config file, Load Configuration Settings [Choose File]/[Load]...;
For the last one, please read: "Custom SMB Share Names" at http://dns323.kood.org/howto:change_share_name

- VolumeNames are NAS thing and for Admin purposes only. The Network Users see ShareNames only, instead of VolumeNames and FolderNames;

- For Sharing purposes D-Link ShareCenter considers Volumes as Folders - special attention must be paid to this;

- ShareCenter makes the ShareNames the SAME as the FolderNames (or VolumeNames), EXCEPT if a ShareName ALREADY EXISTS - Admin is prompted to choose a different name - this makes a workaround possible, fooling ShareCenter with temporary folders - the real purpose of this post.

-- Workaround to Change SHARENAMES:
- Important: a Multi-Tab Browser is suggested for this procedure;
- Important: in this example the default "Volume_1" name will change to "Audio". In order to prevent any confusion it is suggested to use the opposite "Volume_y" (Volume_2, in this example) as support Volume when deal with "Volume_x" (Volume_1, in this example), for better procedure, however it is possible to use the same Volume as support and rename at Admin's choice and risk or in case of single-Volume NAS;
- Important: if Volume(s) have or will have different name(s), such as change "Volume_2" to "Video", it is suggested to copy this procedure, paste into Notepad (or Notepad++), edit file accordingly those name(s), read/check once more, print or keep open during procedure;

(1) Login to NAS through ShareCenter (ex.: 192.168.0.18);

(2) Click on [Applications] button, click on [My Files] icon, it will open another tab (@right) which from now on we refer to as /My Files\;

(3) In previous login tab (@left), click [Management] button, click on [Account Management] icon, click on [Network Shares] at left bar, from now on we refer to this tab (@left) as /Network Shares\;

(4) Disconnect (un-map) [_ii]Volume_1, using Windows Explorer or D-Link Storage Utility, at least in the computer this procedure is running. Details are not the purpose of this post.
(4.1) Windows Explorer: Tools, Disconnect network drive...;
(4.2) D-Link Storage Utility: login to NAS, select "Volume_1", [Disconnect]...;

(5) In /Network Shares\ tab (@left), Network Shares Settings table, click on "Volume_1" ShareName, it becomes red bold;
(5.1) It is suggested to click [Modify] button, without any changes, take note of all settings before proceed;

(6) Click [Delete] button and [Yes] button. In /Network Shares\ tab (@left), it will disconnect the Folder from its ShareName ONLY - no Folder or File will be deleted;

(7) Go to /My Files\ tab (@right), click on !/U/Volume_2 (root) at left bar, in order to open it, click on (+)New icon, write in the field the exact VolumeName of which ShareName will be renamed, in this case [Volume_1   ] - copy and paste the VolumeName if necessary - click [OK] button, the !/_/Volume_1 temporary Folder is created (Path: Volume_2/Volume_1);

(8] Go to /Network Shares\ tab (@left), click on [New] button in order to connect a new ShareName to a Folder, click [Next] to "1. Select Share Folder", click on !/U/Volume_2 (root) to open it, select [v] !/_/Volume_1 temporary Folder, click [Next] to proceed - the ShareName will be the same as FolderName by default, "Volume_1" - it cannot be changed -, [Finish] the temporary sharing connection, it doesn't matter much since this temporary connection will be deleted later. Path: Volume_2/Volume_1 can be seen in Network Shares Settings table;

(9) Continue in /Network Shares\ tab (@left), click on [New] button once again, click [Next] to "1. Select Share Folder",  select [v] !/U/Volume_1 (root, actual Volume) this time, click [Next] for Accounts, click [Next] for Access Rights...,
(9.1) And now a "Warning: Share name is repeat or length exceed 80 characters, please modify it" will appear - ShareCenter requests to change ShareName because "Volume_1" ALREADY EXISTS. Type "Audio" in Share Name field for this example, or any ShareName more intuitive for Network Users;
(9.2) Proceed the Share settings and protocols, clicking [Next] button - or according to the settings noted in step (5.1) - [Finish] the definitive sharing connection: "Audio" connected to the !/U/Volume_1 (root, actual Volume, Path: Volume_1 in Network Shares Settings table);

(10) Continue in /Network Shares\ tab (@left), Network Shares Settings table, click on "Volume_1" temporary ShareName (connected to Volume_1 temporary Folder created, Path: Volume_2/Volume_1), it becomes red bold, click [Delete] button and [Yes] button;

(11) Go to /My Files\ tab (@right), right-click on !/_/Volume_1 temporary Folder created under !/U/Volume_2 (root) at right window, Path: Volume_2/Volume_1 - please BE CAREFUL TO SELECT THE CORRECT TEMPORARY FOLDER -, click "Delete", click [OK], the temporary folder is not necessary anymore; 

(12) Connect (map) [_ii]Audio (new ShareName) to an available drive letter, using Windows Explorer or D-Link Storage Utility, first in the computer this procedure is running. Details are not the purpose of this post.
(12.1) Windows Explorer: Tools, Map network drive...;
(12.2) D-Link Storage Utility: login to NAS, select the new ShareName "Audio", [Connect]...;
(12.3) It is suggested to keep the same drive letter previously connected to [_ii]Volume_1 as network Users are used to - it is necessary to do step (4) and this one in all computers and devices which [_ii]Volume_1 was connected/mapped to;

I hope this helps. Have fun.