• March 28, 2024, 10:31:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problems with setting up DCS-930L  (Read 29244 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Problems with setting up DCS-930L
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 05:20:09 AM »

I purchased this Foscam: http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8918W-Wireless-Camera-Viewing/dp/B0046710G6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310086178&sr=8-1

It was incredibly easy to set up for wired and wireless viewing in and out of my network, produces a far better picture than the DLink and has more features--it can pan and tilt and has IR for night viewing.

That looks like a great alternative, almost too good to be true for that price point.  How well does the wireless work (compared to the DCS-930L)?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ckaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »

That looks like a great alternative, almost too good to be true for that price point.  How well does the wireless work (compared to the DCS-930L)?

Connects to my network beautifully, and it's in the basement, while my router is on the second floor.  The first 930L connected fine with the same set up, but the replacement cam could not connect.

Only oddities I've noticed are that the IP address and MAC for the cam is different wired vs wireless and that it cannot deal with special characters in the wireless passphrase.  The "visitor" login also only works with IE--if someone logs in with the visitor's login on Firefox or Chrome, they are given full admin rights for that browser.  It's not the full set available to the admin in IE, but it would be enough to screw things up, if that person were so inclined.

The picture is far better than the 930L and having pan/tilt and night vision is cool.  I have Tiny Cam for android set up on my phone and can view the image from anywhere, and can even pan/tilt the camera from within the mobile app.  I can view the cam from any computer via my dyndns host name, and there is support for IE, Firefox and Chrome.  (And perhaps other browsers, but I have not tried them.)  It is also a one click record if you are accessing from IE, which is very nice.

This is NOT the cam for someone who doesn't know how to access their router settings, or what an IP address is, or what a port is, but as long as you have just a LITTLE bit of base knowledge, this is an excellent choice with a boatload of features.  I thought I needed the !d!ot proof set up and viewing online that the DLink promised (but did not deliver! :sigh:), but really the only piece of knowledge I was missing was what port forwarding was and how it worked.  It was easy enough to pick up and I set up the Foscam camera in perhaps 60 minutes.  The only stumbling blocks I had were figuring out that I had to remove the special characters in my wifi passphrase and that I needed to adjust the IP address for the port forwarding after I moved it to wifi (the initial set up is all wired.)  I could set up a second cam in about 15 minutes now that I know what to expect.

Draxx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »

Here's what worked for me:

1) I reset the 930L to factory settings.

2) I downloaded the latest setup software (the software on the CDROM that was packaged with the camera was obsolete).

3) I downloaded the latest firmware for the 930L.

4) I ran the setup software on my PC (running Windows Vista).

5) I connected the 930L to my router with the ethernet cable.

6) I set up the camera as a brand new one.

7) The problem now was - the latest setup software does not recognize wireless networks - SO - you go ahead and setup the camera by chosing the option for Wired Connection.

8) The setup process will go without a hitch, since your cam is hard-wired to your router.

9) Having done that, it will allow you to register the cam to your DLink account - go ahead and do it.

10) Once you login to your account on www.mydlink.com - you'll see your cam on your registered devices.

Click on the Settings Tab > Scroll down and click on Advanced

11) Once you enter your username/pass - you'll gain access to your cam's setup menu.

12) Click on Settings > Wireless

You'll see that the Wireless option is Disabled (coz you've setup the cam as a wired connection initially).

13) Enable Wireless

14) Manually add the SSID of your home wifi network

15) Select your WEP or WPA protocol - and manually enter your wifi password.

16) Save Settings

17) Power down cam - remove ethernet cable - power up again - you'll see that it connects within minutes.
Pages: 1 [2]