• March 28, 2024, 03:50:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Setting up FTP  (Read 10546 times)

2haven

• Level 1 Member
Setting up FTP
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:14:31 AM »

Guys, anyone knows how to correctly configure FTP for this NAS? i followed the steps i found online but couldn't get it to work. Can only access it through local ip address at home, entered ddns host name at my friend's hse but can't get in, tried to ping from outside but can't get through also

My configuration is as such: NAS -> Singtel Aztech DSL1000ER Modem Router

Here's wad i did:
1. Create static IP for NAS 192.168.1.xx
2. Forward ports 20 and 21 on modem router to static ip
3. Register and create host at dlinkddns.com
4. Input my ddns login details and host name (username.dlinkddns.com) into NAS
5. Created user on NAS
6. Added user to FTP access list
7. FTP Server settings: Idle time-10mins, Port-21, Passive Mode-Use default port range, client language-western european, flow control-unlimited, SSL/TLS-unchecked
8. Started FTP server.

Is there any more steps that I missed out?

jrak

• Level 2 Member
Re: Setting up FTP
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »

You should look at this thread: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3476.30 before proceeding.  The setup described works, but there are security issues that you need to be aware of.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:52:57 AM »

You should enter this into your router, not the NAS. The NAS doesn't know what IP is assigned to your router by your ISP.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

2haven

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:57:35 AM »

You should enter this into your router, not the NAS. The NAS doesn't know what IP is assigned to your router by your ISP.

I added it to my NAS cos my router doesnt seem to have ddns feature. or does it have another name for it? cos I can't seem to find similar input fields in the router

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 03:52:49 PM »

The NAS doesn't need to know the router's ip address - think about this - if you're using a PC based DDNS client, does the PC know the ip assigned to the router by the the ISP?  No it doesn't.

Here's how it works - when the PC (or NAS) connects to DDNS server, via the router, the router's public ip address will be in the source address field in the packet, if it's not there, the DDNS server will not know where to send the response.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »

Guys, anyone knows how to correctly configure FTP for this NAS? i followed the steps i found online but couldn't get it to work. Can only access it through local ip address at home, entered ddns host name at my friend's hse but can't get in, tried to ping from outside but can't get through also

My configuration is as such: NAS -> Singtel Aztech DSL1000ER Modem Router

Here's wad i did:
1. Create static IP for NAS 192.168.1.xx
2. Forward ports 20 and 21 on modem router to static ip
3. Register and create host at dlinkddns.com
5. Created user on NAS
6. Added user to FTP access list
7. FTP Server settings: Idle time-10mins, Port-21, Passive Mode-Use default port range, client language-western european, flow control-unlimited, SSL/TLS-unchecked
8. Started FTP server.

Is there any more steps that I missed out?

Yes - you have two choices - either ...

a) Configure your ftp client for active ftp - or
b) Forward the passive default port range to the DNS-323's static ip address and check the box (and enter the correct ip address) to report the router's external ip in passive mode.

By the way - there's no need to foward port 20.

When using passive ftp - the ftp server (in this case the DNS-323) will send an ip address and port for the client to use to connect, and if the external ip is not sent, the client should return an error message to this effect, if the ports are not forwarded, it will not connect and in most cases there will be no error message returned.

2haven

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 11:43:26 PM »

Yes - you have two choices - either ...

a) Configure your ftp client for active ftp - or
b) Forward the passive default port range to the DNS-323's static ip address and check the box (and enter the correct ip address) to report the router's external ip in passive mode.

By the way - there's no need to foward port 20.

When using passive ftp - the ftp server (in this case the DNS-323) will send an ip address and port for the client to use to connect, and if the external ip is not sent, the client should return an error message to this effect, if the ports are not forwarded, it will not connect and in most cases there will be no error message returned.

hi, now I've got another problem. I forwarded the default passive port range. Upon checking the box to report router's external ip (obtained from www.whatismyip.com) I got my IP address as 220.255.XXX.XXX

So I tried keying in this IP i obtained into the fields and click apply. The the NAS gave an error saying that the second set of number should be between 0 and 254!

I tried ignoring this message and left the box unchecked and tried connecting with an ftp client. The error message is shown below:

STATUS:>     [4/11/2010 14:32:00] Resolving host name xxxxxxxx.dlinkddns.com...
STATUS:>     [4/11/2010 14:32:00] Host name xxxxxxxx.dlinkddns.com resolved: ip = 220.255.xxx.xxx.
STATUS:>     [4/11/2010 14:32:00] Connecting to FTP server... xxxxxxxx.dlinkddns.com:21 (ip = 220.255.xxx.xxx)...
STATUS:>     [4/11/2010 14:32:00] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
ERROR:>      [4/11/2010 14:32:21] Can't read from control socket. Socket error = #10054.

By the way, if I managed to input my external ip address into the "report external ip address" field, do I have to manually change it whenever my external ip address changes?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 11:48:52 AM »

OK - based on that information - it would seem that the ftp server in the DNS-323 does not fully support what is known as "classless addressing".

I'd say your only option (short of hacking the box and running your own ftp server) is to run active ftp (option a) in my earlier reply - active ftp can be problematic in some cases, especially if you attempt to use non standard ports.

2haven

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 09:27:45 PM »

OK - based on that information - it would seem that the ftp server in the DNS-323 does not fully support what is known as "classless addressing".

I'd say your only option (short of hacking the box and running your own ftp server) is to run active ftp (option a) in my earlier reply - active ftp can be problematic in some cases, especially if you attempt to use non standard ports.

okay..so how do I go about configuring for active FTP?Is it fully on the client side or do I have to make some changes to my FTP server as well?does other dns323 users experience this as well?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 04:56:25 AM »

Active ftp requires no additional setup on the DNS-323.

The basic steps are as follows, I believe you've done them already ...

1 - configure a static LAN ip or DHCP reservation for the DNS-323, if using static make certain that the gateway entry is correctly set
2 - forward port 21 to the ip set in step 1
3 - setup a dynamic DNS service to point to your public ip address

On the client side you will probably have to change a setting - some clients may default passive (internet explorer does this) so you have to tell it you don't want passive, others may default to active.

The potential problem with active ftp is that some NAT firewall/routers  may cause problems, you may also have a situation where your ISP blocks port 21, especially if they have a "no server" policy.

If you're interested, PM me the DDNS name and a temporary user/password pair, and I'll take a look.