• March 29, 2024, 04:51:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-160 Installation/Connection Issues  (Read 15138 times)

aviavy

• Level 1 Member
DWA-160 Installation/Connection Issues
« on: September 24, 2009, 12:38:19 PM »

Hi,

I just got the DWA-160 Rev A1. I went through the installation, which seemed to go through fine, however when I trying to connect to my DIR-655, it's like it doesn't know what to do and just sit there.
When I click connect, I put in my WPA2 Key and then press ok, but then nothing. No replies or error messages. It does definitely see the network and I know my network setup is good cause I had a DWA-142 working just dandy on it.

I've used both the drivers on the CD and the updated one on the dlink website.
I would call tech, but I'm outside the country where I bought it (left the Canada and went to Trinidad 2 days after I bought it), so I need some help.

If you need any more information, just give me a hollar and I'll post everything that I can.

Thanks,
Avi

***UPDATE*** So I just got my hands on REV B, but the samething also seems to be happening.
Also, to amend a bit more, I have my DIR-655 on N only with AES. I've also tried N & G, but the same thing once again.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 03:00:29 PM by aviavy »

aviavy

• Level 1 Member
Re: DWA-160 Installation/Connection Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:40:37 PM »

After 36 views and over 24 hours being posted, no one has anything?

BassMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 03:59:20 AM »

After 36 views and over 24 hours being posted, no one has anything?

If you've really got the HW:B revision, I suggest using the RALINK driver, rather than the D-Link CD.  I used a slightly older version of the RALINK driver when I got my HW:B revision several weeks ago, and it works GREAT!  Never even tried the D-Link CD.  See the thread here: http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/support.php?s=1

You want the USB version.  Assuming you have Windoze, here's the direct link: http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/support.php?s=1

Get the one dated 8/24 labeled "USB (RT2870 /RT2770 /RT307X /RT2070/ RT3572)"

Be sure to uninstall the old D-Link stuff first.  Don't use RALINK driver with HW:A.

aviavy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 04:29:01 AM »

Thanks Bassman! I'll definitely give that a try and give an update as to what happens.

Here's something that may change results. The system I am trying to install it on has Vista 64bit. Would that affect it at all? I've been reading up and notice there have been some problems with it. I just want to see if that's true and if so, if there are any work-arounds.

Avi
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:01:48 AM by aviavy »

BassMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »

The RALINK website link above says it works with Vista 64-bit.  64-bit Vista works pretty well these days, except for games and some niche products.

Note: When installing, it gives you a couple of prompts.  One is for how much stuff to install (I selected the one with lots of stuff; utility I believe).  The other is how connections are managed.  I opted for Windows management of connections.

aviavy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »

So here is an update as what has happened so far.

1. I still can't connect to my DIR-655. The same thing happens even with th RALINK drivers. Now I've tested both Rev A & B on 2 Vista 64 Bit systems with the same results.
2. I also tried the Rev B on XP Pro with the RALINK drivers and Linksys WRT54GS router and it worked beautifully. So I know the adapters aren't the problem and I'm not as big idiot as I initially though I was.

Was there any tweaking any you guys did to get the DWA-160 to work with Vista 64bit?

BassMan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 07:46:44 AM »

I'm using 32-bit XP.  No tweaking was needed: "it just worked".

So here is an update as what has happened so far.

1. I still can't connect to my DIR-655. The same thing happens even with th RALINK drivers. Now I've tested both Rev A & B on 2 Vista 64 Bit systems with the same results.
2. I also tried the Rev B on XP Pro with the RALINK drivers and Linksys WRT54GS router and it worked beautifully. So I know the adapters aren't the problem and I'm not as big ***** as I initially though I was.

Was there any tweaking any you guys did to get the DWA-160 to work with Vista 64bit?

jysnmat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:25:59 AM »

Dissable WMM support in the Ralink Utility and see if that works. WMM has to be supported by the router or otherwise it will not connect.

aviavy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 10:54:43 AM »

Ok, I figured out everything. Turns out it was my router. Somehow or the other MAC Address filtering was enabled. So unless the router had the MAC address for the adapter, it would just deny it altogether.
So I'm back to being just another idiot. Thanks Bassman and Jysnmat for the help.