• April 16, 2024, 02:11:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1.06 firmware, Xbox 360, and Upnp  (Read 19018 times)

pf

Re: 1.06 firmware, Xbox 360, and Upnp
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 04:10:53 AM »

I installed firmware 106 and am able to see the list of my videos on the 360.  The problem is when I launch a video error code 69-C00D36BE comes up.  For those wondering where the drive shows up just go into the my video tab on your 360 and you should see the DNS right away.

Hi,

I made intensive tests with the 1.06 official firmware (this time... lol...) and the Xbox 360 to try to replace my HD player connected to the Home Cinema with the Xbox 360.
The objective was to remove one box from the Home Cinema installation and using the 360 for games and decoding videos

Here are my first results:

1) Upgrading the DNS-323 firmware:

After an upgrade from the 1.05 to the 1.06 firmware to have the 360 finding the multimedia files you must do a hardware reset of the DNS-323 with the reset switch (on the rear panel of the DNS-323).

2) Xbox 360 viewing files:

On the DNS-323 I've approximatively 500GO of video files in several directories:
 Films:                200GO+ / 1000+ files / 5 levels of directories
 Concerts:          100GO+ /   200   files / 2 levels
 Clips:                   2GO  /      34  files / 1 level
 Documentaries:     22GO /      75  files / 4 levels
 Humor:                90GO /       90 files / 2 levels
 Karaoke:               7GO /      137 files / 2 levels
 Series:                 29GO/       70 files / 2 levels

I can see most of the files except the Film folder where I see  NO files at all .
 I presume the 5 levels depth or the number of files (or both) is not compatible with implementation of the 1.06 firmware (this is just an assumption).

3) Comparison of the Xbox 360 with an H&B DN8620 HD Divx/DVD media player:

Many AVI encoded Divx files cannot be seen with the Xbox 360 because apparently these codecs are not supported.
 This problem isn't related to the DNS-323 but to the 360 itself.
 The H&B DN8620 media player doesn't need the DLNA UpNP implementation but just the basic UpNP A/V protocol which was already implemented in the previous firmware version of the DNS-323.
The limitation (or bug?) seen in the 1.06 firmware within the Xbox 360 support isn't seen at all with the H&B media player.
I've also tested the 1.06 firmware with another media player, a DP600 from Kiss Technology, same results as with the DN8620 H&B Technology, no limitation in number of files and directories.
All the files can be seen within the tree and most of the video files can be decoded.

In Conclusion:

The Xbox 360 isn't suitable to replace a good media player due to these limitations within the DNS and the Xbox.

I hope these tests will participate to help the community.

And Many thanks to DLink having improved seriously the DNS-323.

And to finish Best Wishes to ALL of you.
 Have a great year end with a lot of fun.

pf
 (Pierre-Francois)

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 08:16:33 AM »

I installed firmware 106 and am able to see the list of my videos on the 360.  The problem is when I launch a video error code 69-C00D36BE comes up.  For those wondering where the drive shows up just go into the my video tab on your 360 and you should see the DNS right away.

Make sure you go back into your DNS-323 interface and click the REFRESH button and try again.

iampedro

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 08:47:35 AM »

Unfortunately I have followed all the suggestions that you have put forth and still nothing... In the shared folder and I know the video files that I have in there should work fine b/c if I copy it to a USB drive I can see them there so I don't know what the limitation is still..

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »

Error code 69-C00D36BE I believe is just the error code for an unsupported file format. Does the video play on your Xbox360 if you stream it from Windows Media Player 11? Let me guess .avi file?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

adrianstephens

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »

I have found that the same file will give me this error if I put it in some directories and not in others.
It looks like there's some problem with overall file path length (or depth) on either the xbox or the upnp server.
I found a similar problem with the PS3, which seems to have a depth limit of 8 directories - which seems like a lot until you realise that you need to browse to a depth of 5 (I think) before you even get to the files at all.

mrwinky

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »

I'm new to all of this, and have never set up anything media releated to my Xbox 360. I've set up my nas, i can see it on my ps3, but when I go into the Xbox and look at video content, I only see downloaded (local 360 hard drive) and Computer, when I go to computer it tells me I need to set it up by going to www.xbox.com/pcsetup... Am I doing this right? Any ideas help.

Winky

bobbyincognito

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 07:22:13 PM »

If your running over 2 routers and a bridge, I would suspect that's your problem.  I'd eliminate the variables, and move your 360 to test it plugged directly into the same router as your NAS drive.

I'll bet that fixes it.

Mike

Mike,

I have a VERY similar setup as the bartender, so I disabled the uPNP option on both my wireless bridge and my wireless router. I'm not sure what that does, but it worked.  I figured that I should try something weird first before dragging my 360 to the router upstairs. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

-Bob

iampedro

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »

Make sure you go back into your DNS-323 interface and click the REFRESH button and try again.

I have done everything that you have asked and I still can't see the video file that I can play via the DNS 323 to my windows media player + can play it when it is hooked up to a usb hard drive...

There has to be some type of limit to the firmware update b/c it should work if you say xbox 360 playable...

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »

Manually click the refresh button on your DNS-323. I've only seen this if the refresh button wasn't clicked after configuring the UPNP AV and adding content.

nightshocker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »

i do not see anything.... but TVersity works great. its free and converts unsupported files to supported files... the only problem is that i have to keep my computer on to use it.
Pages: 1 [2]