• April 19, 2024, 06:10:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DNS 323 - Remote access  (Read 24741 times)

madcanuck

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS 323 - Remote access
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »

Nothing like making something simple so difficult. Scrap DDNS and filezilla and all FTP client apps. This is simpler and works from anywhere there is an internet connection.

This is on a Linksys router, but it should be similar for most of them. It is only the menu layout in a browser that may differ.

Enter the router's browser setup (192.168.1.1 for Linksys) and, under Applications and Gaming/Port Forwarding, open port 21 as both start and end. Name it and click enable. Now, port 21 is open.

You now need your router's ip address. Look under status or just browse through until you find it.

Once you find it and you are not at home, type your router's ip address followed by :21.

ie: ftp://oo.oo.oo.oo:21 or try it without the :21. It will probably ask for a password, too, so you

If that gives you access, then you go to mapping at the top of windows explorer and follow the instructions, using the ip address as the link when asked. You now have a "hard drive" mapped to "My Computer". Simple and straight forward.

--------------------------------

DNS-323 FTP:

Follow the instructions on pages 34-35 of the 323s user manual for FTP setup.

--------------------------------

Following the above is how, if I recall the ip address access correctly, works the best. I tried the DDNS crap and it was impossible to access. Then, an IT co-worker gave me the info above and it worked within a couple of minutes of remotely setting up of my router. Look under administration in your router settings for remote access. Set a password and enable it. Then, when you are not at home, just type your IP address (or mapping my work, too) followed by :8080 for a Linksys router (it tells what port will be used). Now, it just takes some playing with all these settings on both devices for fine tune what I have given you here.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »

There's one  problem with the procedure above  - it uses the router's WAN ip address, which, for most of us is dynamically assigned by our ISP, and changes from time to time - that's why we need to use some form of dynamic DNS.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
Re: DNS 323 - Remote access Web Interface Airport Extreme
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »

I am using an Airport extreme with PC and Apple computers

I want to access the web interface remotely so I can set up torrents to start when I am out of the home.

I think I got the airport extreme to open port 7022 but I am not sure as it has a bunch of drop down suggested connections.

I have a dyndsn.com forward set up which I beleive works as I would get an error on the setup if it didn't, eitherway I have tried to access from the dns link and the ip address with the port reference to no avail.

Any other suggestions on how to access the web interface?
DNS-323  2x1.5TB Seagate Drives Separate Volumes
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
Various computers and hardware, Win xp, Win 7,
1.07 firmware

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 04:45:37 PM »

The web interface is on port 80 - you either have to forward port 80 to the NAS, or, if your router supports port redirection you can forward the port of your choice to port 80 at the NAS.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »

Thanks fordem for getting back to me so quickly

I have an apple extreme router. I don't know how to set up the port forward or open the port.
My dns323 is 192.168.1.168 on my local network.

I don't know where and what I go into on my airport utility to turn these things on for remote access

Much appreciated.
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 03:51:27 AM »

I think I got this figured.

I went here for some help on AirPort Extreme
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3415
Directions are slightly different now.

Edit setting...goto advanced ......port settings....new entry.....
I selected windows Remote Desktop but it doesn't matter what you select as you can edit

Pick public port you want to use.  1234 for udc and tcp ,  then the local IP address of your dlink 192.168.1.168 or whatever yours is.
Then the ports you forward to.  Based on forem I chose 80 for tcp and udc

I had also set up a reservation by dhcp using IP address   I'm not sure if that is necessary but seemed to work with it.

I have tried to acces from within my own network and it works.
Ie mydlinknas.dyndns.com:1234 and it gives me the web access panel.
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 05:42:24 AM »

Sounds like you have it covered - make sure to use a strong password.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 05:54:44 AM »

Seems to work fine.  What are the security concerns.?  I suspect if someone get the ip right or the dynes forward right they will see my logon screen. 

Will the log file pick up multiple failed logon attempts?

Is FTP more secure than this?

Also to set FTP up can I use my same dns forward and just openanothe port on my router?
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »

If you're using a "non-standard" port (ie other than 80), the security risks are largely mitigated - the NAS will not be detected by a routine scan - however - if for some reason someone were to focus on you they could locate that port.

I don't recall if the unit logs failed logon attempts, and my DNS-323 died earlier this year, so I'm unable to verify that for you - you could try it yourself though.

ftp access would not permit you to set up torrents, which is what you said you wanted to do - as a service in it's own right, it's considered to have it's own security issues, primarily because logon credentials are transmitted in "clear text", visible to anyone who know where to look - personally - I don't see this is as a concern, since it not only requires someone with the know how, that person would also need to have network access at a level most don't - if I were the pentagon I wouldn't trust ftp, and because I'm not the pentagon, I don't have a bunch of Snowden wannabees scrutinizing my every move - I've actually run an ftp server, on the standard port, on a static address for over fifteen years without a single unauthorized access attempt being logged.

ftp is a little more challenging to setup, but yes, you can use the same dyndns URL and forward the appropriate ports.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 06:05:10 PM »

So on the FTP I can define a separate port in the dlink box. The. I assume I forward a outside port to the FTP port? Is that right?
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2013, 07:55:13 PM »

The DLink box (presumably the DNS-323) will expect a connection on port 21 after you have enabled the ftp server.

It might be a good idea to find some sort of a tutorial on ftp and how it works before you get started.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 05:25:00 AM »

i removed the port forward rule from my router as I read the apple airport express doesnt forward ports that well and now it works very good.

Since I have access to the web interface I can turn on/off the ftp server as needed.

Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware
Pages: 1 [2]