• April 25, 2024, 09:25:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DNS323 gone flaky?  (Read 11519 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: DNS323 gone flaky?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 08:52:56 AM »

What he said. :D
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

emcee2

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »

Okay... Tried the switch both inline with the Cable Modem and also just now on the back end of a single port out of the router.  Still no go with the NAS.
Strange thing is that I have managed to get the NAS connect (at 100 Mbps) with the router on 2 occasions since this problem started but it doesn't stick if one happens to do anything that changes a setting.
Oh well, I shall continue my quest...
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 10:02:37 PM »

Flakey patch cable perhaps?

Littlefrog22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 11:08:09 AM »

Similar thing is happening to my 323 and I got a DIR 655. I have been using it lots for the last year with no problem at all and now, all of a sudden, it will not allow me to connect most of the time. Every once in a while I'll get lucky and I'll be able to get in for about 1min before it disconnects. I have everything connected through a switch (like the previous advice) so I tried resetting the switch with no luck. I also tried another switch with the same results. Tried accessing through FTP, no luck either. Lights are flashing as per normal for both hard drives and the network drive. When I use the search utility, it only finds my other NAS drive (which I have been using for a year with no problems or conflict too) MyBook. Weird. It won't map the drive obviously. I inspected the hard drives and they had no apparent damage. I'll try them individually on a external hard drive enclosure, hopefully they both work individually like yours so at least I'll be able to recover my 1Tb of music and movies!

emcee2

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 07:54:58 AM »

Flakey patch cable perhaps?

Well, possibly, but I've been swapping cables out as part of this exercise... still no go.

An update for those following along: I was busy with real life yesterday so I just left the thing sitting there.  I had previously set the DNS-323 to a static IP, and also fixed at 100 Mbps.  This morning, it's all fine and working.
So, since everything is (physically) a mess I shutdown the system, move some things around and plug back in and now it won't connect again even at 100 Mbps.  Maybe I need to take all my cables to work and meter them out....

Littlefrog22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 08:50:40 PM »

Problem solved! This may also explain why some DNS-323 would work on other network hen their original one (owner's fault in my case!) I too previously set my dns323 to have a static IP. I recently changed the settings in my router to give automatic IP addresses (DHCP). All my devices were fine except my 323. The problem was that another device (MyBook II external hard Drive) was given the same IP as the one I preciously set the 323 with. This means the 323 would not work on my home network (conflicting IP) but would most likely work on other networks. Try this: Simply log into your DNS 323 and change the setting to automatic IP (DHCP). if, like me, you can't log in or it is intermittent  (because of IP conflict), just go to your friend's house and plug your 323 into their home network or try this: have only one computer and your 323 turned on on your network and reset the power on your router and voilą!

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 01:20:15 AM »

Or...
Reset you DNS-323 with the reset button on the back....
And DON"T reload your Settings from a previously saved file...

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 05:20:11 AM »

This is a common issue with folks using static IP addresses.  You have to be cognizant of your configuration and any changes. :)

emcee2

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 08:00:15 AM »

Well, in my case I've pretty much given up.  I've tried virtually every combo of the NAS to 2 different Routers, with or without a switch.  I've tried multiple cables (which I took to work yesterday and ran through our LAN cable testing device - they're all OK and wired correctly).  I took the whole combo to work yesterday and hooked things up there and the results are the same.  It will not link to a gigabit enabled device.
At one point I (again) reset it, then connected the NAS directly to a computer using a direct connection (a cross over cable only, no router or other intermediary device).  "The light(s) were on but no-one was home".  Couldn't even access the default address (192.168.0.32).
Call D-Link; getting an RMA (even though the unit is just past 1 year old)... I'll update when I get a replacement.

emcee2

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »

Just and update for those out there who might be reading this thread:
I returned the DNS-323; Dlink sent me a (refurbished) replacement.  The new unit seems to have no problems at all with my gigabit network devices (such as my DIR-825).
It seems to be up and running again... fingers crossed.

Cheers!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 05:49:57 AM »

That's good, glad you got a resolution. :)
Pages: 1 [2]