• March 28, 2024, 04:06:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: [Question] Way to test WAN port without other router or modem?  (Read 7255 times)

P3aK

• Level 1 Member

Hi!

Is there a way to connect a PC to the WAN port of the Router? It always shows me No Cable plugged in when I connect to my modem so I want to establish if the WAN port is in fact busted and I need to RMA the Router.

I've had DIR-855 for about 3 months now nicely working, but yesterday something strange happened. I lost the connection to the DSL modem.
But not just the connection, it says there is No Cable plugged in. After a few meager tries to fix it I resorted to a fresh start.

Modem -> Router -> 1 Wired LAN PC, nothing else.

No lights on the modem port and Router says No Cable plugged in.
Of course I suspect the cable and get my bunch of 15 cables and start trying. Not a single one of them works. Can't BE! So I tried 5 of the cables, PC  -> Router LAN only. They all work!
Now I tried PC -> Router WAN port, still says No Cable connected. Is this even possible to connect this way? I tried with both Cross cable and normal, no difference. I gotta figure out if the port is really busted before I RMA.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I did indeed power cycle the Router, I Factory Reset the Router and tried both with factory settings and loading my saved setting back. No difference at all, still No Cable connected.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 02:38:40 AM by P3aK »

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: [Question] Way to test WAN port without other router or modem?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 05:13:13 AM »

Seems the WAN port is defective.

It should at least show the physical connection with the Modem.
You can also try to connect the WAN to a LAN port of the router.
Both LEDs should light up.

If not, you should RMA it.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: [Question] Way to test WAN port without other router or modem?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 08:37:57 AM »

The only other test I would try is Router WAN to Router LAN, but it sounds pretty fried.  When you call in for an RMA they are going to go through the necessary troubleshooting with you so I would just call it in.

Time of Death: 00:12:34 7/7/2009, RIP
non progredi est regredi