• April 25, 2024, 04:41:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Volume missing (FORMATTED?) after inserting replacement drive  (Read 3057 times)

hitchhiker

• Level 1 Member
Volume missing (FORMATTED?) after inserting replacement drive
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:24:00 AM »

My RAID 5 array was degraded, I removed the damaged disk, and reinserted a new one. Nothing happened so I rebooted the device.

When the thing began again, the system asked me if i wanted to format the new disk. I said 'yes'

Now I've lost 4.5TB of IMPORTANT DATA. The Volume is missing, and it's asking me to reconfigure the array.. pointing out now that i'd need to format them all?

Can I recover my volume in any way? Can I disconnect the disks and recover them in some other way?

madafriz

• Level 1 Member
Re: Volume missing (FORMATTED?) after inserting replacement drive
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:30:51 AM »

Did you ever figure it out? I fear that in 896 minutes I will be seeking the same answers.

TOR889

• Level 1 Member
Re: Volume missing (FORMATTED?) after inserting replacement drive
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 04:54:10 PM »

Did you turned off the unit before replacing the drive?
The unit is not hot-swappable.

I have a failed drive a few weeks ago. The procedure would be:
- turned off the unit
- Replace the failed drive
- turn the unit back on
- if I remember correctly, once I log-in to the config page, it will prompt me to format the new drive
- Then I proceed to select manual rebuild
- Once the rebuild complete, only volume 1 showed up
- then I realized all the user config were gone and I have to recreate all the user accounts for individual users to access corresponding folders

Other than the user account creation, the rebuild is quite plain sailing.

My rebuild involve a 5% filled, out of a total capacity of 6TB. And it took about 36 hours. If your unit is half filled of the same capacity, it would probably took 2 weeks!!! A 90% filled unit would took about a month to rebuild. At that point, rebuild simply becomes impractical if not impossible. A back-up will make every sense.