• April 25, 2024, 06:00:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-343 Performance issues  (Read 8033 times)

dssmonkey

• Level 1 Member
DNS-343 Performance issues
« on: December 17, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »

New DNS-343 here and having performance issues.. I can send data to it at approx 25MB/s via FTP transfer:
Response:   226-File successfully transferred
Response:   226 13.222 seconds (measured here), 26.55 Mbytes per second
Status:   File transfer successful, transferred 368,062,464 bytes in 14 seconds

Pulling data from the 343 to any device on my network will only run at 5MB/s MAX..  ???
Response:   226-File successfully transferred
Response:   226 126.664 seconds (measured here), 2.77 Mbytes per second
Status:   File transfer successful, transferred 368,062,464 bytes in 126 seconds

I have tried 3 different hard drives in the unit ..
1TB WD1001FALS – Western digital
2TB ST320000542AS – Seagate – on the compatibility list
500G – Seagate drive.. Don’t have the model # handy

Anybody else having these issues?  Any resolution? 
Thanks

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-343 Performance issues
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 07:29:53 PM »

What OS is the PC that's pulling 5 MB/s?  I've read somewhere on these forums that Windows 7 has some driver related issue that impacts throughput.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

dssmonkey

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:20:53 AM »

OS is windows XP .

Did a bit more testing last night and it seams to be slow transfers with FTP only ..  did a regular file copy in windows and it's much faster ... FTP was 46sec to transfer 400Meg file .. same copy with regular copy/paste in windows takes 15-20 sec. 

after all this testing now i have another issue .. when i put a drive back into the unit it wasts to format it ????? what a pain in the but  >:(

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »

now i have another issue .. when i put a drive back into the unit it wasts to format it ????? what a pain in the but  >:(

When a hard drive is removed from the DNS-343 and re-inserted, it must be placed in the same slot that you removed it from.

Hard drives in the DNS-343 are slot-dependent, meaning that if you remove a drive from "slot-2" you must re-insert the drive in "slot-2".  If you place the drive in another slot, the DNS-343 will not recognize the drive and attempt to reformat.

dssmonkey

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »

they were put back into the exact same slot !! I read a few issues about this on the forum already and made sure I put everything back after testing the other drives.

1 drive still shows the data under Volume_1 but it wants to format it everytime I boot the NAS up . 
The rest of them don't show any data and ask for a format ...

dssmonkey

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 06:39:21 PM »

Here is the file copy speed with teracopy .. 

Anybody know what the issue is with the Pure-FTPd server on the NAS? am I the only one with very slow speeds using the ftp service ?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:27:03 AM »

I'm assuming all of the drives are formatted as "Standard Volumes".  Any drive that was formatted on the DNS-343 will be readable in slot1 (regardless of what slot it was formatted in), but the rest of the drives will be unreadable if the drive in slot1 doesn't belong there.  You can use this knowledge to copy data from any drive to another location in the event you need to reformat.

Also, if you placed a drive in the wrong slot just once and booted the DNS-343, you still have to reformat everything and start over (even if you place the drives in the proper slots before reboot).  The unit is very picky in this way.

dssmonkey

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 05:00:10 AM »

Ahhhhh .. Thanks !  That explains why I was able to read volume_1 !!  And that also explains why I lost the rest .. during my testing I was using slot 1, i put 3 different drives in to test out performance ..

This would have been useful info before I started this !! lol
 ::)
Thanks !

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »

No problem.  My advice to you is that while the DNS-343 doesn't contain any real data, use this opportunity to play/experiment to see how the unit behaves.  Once things are setup the way you like and real data is stored, don't change anything - it's not worth the problems likely to occur.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:37:03 PM by JavaLawyer »

neosin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:36:35 AM »

Man you have got to be kidding me.

I set this up, format out a raid 5 and it's doing a whoopin' 12MB/sec sometimes it even hits 22MB/sec

I ditched a buffalo nas 2TB for this very same reason. Years went by, even had one of the techs in the forum telling me that it was the correct speed, etc, etc. 

Listen my grandmother can transfer data quicker than 12MB/sec over gigabit switch.... AND SHE'S DEAD!

I'm gonna have to call grandma and get her to sneaker net me 4GB of data over because I believe even with her walker it would be faster...

I am a big BIG d-link fan, i love the products and could NOT wait to get my hands on this dns-343 and to my very large disappointment this thing connects at gigabit just to transfer at 100mbit speed.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me it's something i'm doing wrong, some magical setting i've missed, some beta firmware that wakes it up... something please! This can't be all it can do!!! not for 400 dollars it has to be better than this!!!! Please someone wake me from the nightmare! I'm so let down; I'm looking at the box just thinking about packaging it back up and returning it. Say it ain't so d-link...