• April 19, 2024, 12:14:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Internet access drops after laptop hibernates!  (Read 4057 times)

phsobmd

• Level 1 Member
Internet access drops after laptop hibernates!
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:09:25 PM »

I have a new HP desktop and a 10-month old Toshiba laptop, both running Windows 7 Home.  I was hoping to improve my wireless speed, so I upgraded my Linksys Wireless-G router for a D-Link DIR-655.

My desktop (wired) runs great.  My wireless printer, work laptop, and Wii all run fine, but they all use 802.11 G.  My Toshiba laptop with the N drops my internet connection almost every time I hibernate it (or it goes to sleep).  When I wake it up, it just keeps searching and searching.  Often it even says "Connected" but "no internet access."

A few times, I've managed to re-connect by disabling and re-enabling the wireless adapter, but even that doesn't usually work.  The only thing that always works is restarting it... which is really annoying if both my wife and I have several windows open that we were using.

The D-link customer support said my laptop's wireless adapter needs to be updated because it supposedly doesn't have the "saving capability" and it loses the router information when it hibernates.  I have a Realtek RTL 8191SE adapter.  My drivers are already completely updated, so I don't know what else to try.

Can anyone help?!  Thanks very much!

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Internet access drops after laptop hibernates!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »

I would agree with the Dlink support staff. This is not a router issue, since a router plays no part in this laptop waking up issue, besides providing a continuous wireless signal ofcourse. And that seems to work OK.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

phsobmd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:35:02 PM »

So.... any idea what can be done?  Why would this happen with this router and not my older one?
Any ideas for how I can reconnect without restarting?

Thanks

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »

Your wireless settings on your laptop may still be remembering the old network settings. Try clearing all network caches (or remove the NIC from Device manager and reinstall)
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

phsobmd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »

I'm giving it a try.  Uninstalled the NIC and it reinstalled itself after restart.  Thanks...  I'll let you know if it works!  (or if it doesn't)

phsobmd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 07:25:34 AM »

Removed and re-installed the NIC.
No change.  I used a Netgear N-router last weekend, and I didn't seem to have this problem, although I wasn't there very long.

Anybody have any other ideas?  It simply says there is an excellent connection, but no internet access.  This is driving us nuts.  Wish I wouldn't have bothered "upgrading."

alien

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 12:09:12 PM »

i had this problem with an ralink card, when i installed a new driver the problem was gone.
First Router Draytek Vigor 2310N for performance an VPN

Backup routers Dlink Dir855, DIR 655
Backup router ASUS WL500GP Premium en WL500g with DDWRT.

ryan200

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »

are you using the windows wireless client to connect or a thrid party utility, i can't say for windows 7 but i have had some better luck with one laptop and the wireless utility that comes with the wifi card instead of using the built in windows one.

also keep in mind you might be able to find newer drives for your wireless card than is listed on the website of the computer manufacturer.