• March 28, 2024, 06:04:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: A few thoughts on the DIR-865L...  (Read 6789 times)

crocodile69

• Level 1 Member
A few thoughts on the DIR-865L...
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »

Vertical stand with larger housing = better cooling = good idea.

I only use it as an N router (I don't have any AC devices, nor do I really need that kind of speed at the moment.)

My wife's laptop is getting better speeds on the 2.4GHz, from 100Mbps before to 140Mbps with the DIR-865L.

Not sure why, but internet downloads "seem" faster. Maybe it's just my imagination!

I was very happy to see that the router can be easily accessed and set up just like in the past directly from a browser - I don't need/want any of that "cloud" cr@#.
In order to configure the router, I didn't need to set up any online accounts or register anything with anybody. Very nice, I hope they keep it this way in the future as well. That "cloud" thing can be included as an option for those who want it, but don't force everyone else to use it.

Network access settings allow for only 24 MAC ID registrations. People have a lot of network junk these days, and 24 entries can be maxed out relatively easy. This could be easily fixed in the firmware, I guess.

As mentioned by someone else already, admin password resets to blank after cycling the power on the router. BTW, same thing happened on a Linksys media bridge, so it's not just a DLink issue. But it is a big security issue. I know that if someone really wants to break into your network can do it, but come on, let's not make it THAT easy...

For the past few days, I don't have an internet connection when I first turn on the computer in the morning. The router shows an internet connection and shows an IP address, but I can't access anything outside of the network. I have to release and then renew the DHCP, and then everything works fine for the rest of the day - until next morning, when the same thing happens. It could be an ISP issue, I don't know yet. I'll have to do a little more troubleshooting on this and look at the logs to find out exactly what's going on here. 

Anyway, aside from these few issues, a very nice router, I am happy with it so far.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: A few thoughts on the DIR-865L...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:17:37 AM »

Vertical stand with larger housing = better cooling = good idea.

I only use it as an N router (I don't have any AC devices, nor do I really need that kind of speed at the moment.)
One day we can share experiences with this:
Wireless AC1200 Dual Band USB Adapter - DWA-182

My wife's laptop is getting better speeds on the 2.4GHz, from 100Mbps before to 140Mbps with the DIR-865L.

Not sure why, but internet downloads "seem" faster. Maybe it's just my imagination!

I was very happy to see that the router can be easily accessed and set up just like in the past directly from a browser - I don't need/want any of that "cloud" cr@#.
In order to configure the router, I didn't need to set up any online accounts or register anything with anybody. Very nice, I hope they keep it this way in the future as well. That "cloud" thing can be included as an option for those who want it, but don't force everyone else to use it.

Network access settings allow for only 24 MAC ID registrations. People have a lot of network junk these days, and 24 entries can be maxed out relatively easy. This could be easily fixed in the firmware, I guess.
Are you using Mac Filtering?

As mentioned by someone else already, admin password resets to blank after cycling the power on the router. BTW, same thing happened on a Linksys media bridge, so it's not just a DLink issue. But it is a big security issue. I know that if someone really wants to break into your network can do it, but come on, let's not make it THAT easy...
Try using IE. IE it suppose to work while managing the router. This issue was supposed to be fixed in v1.01 of FW and beyond. What FW version is currently loaded right now?

For the past few days, I don't have an internet connection when I first turn on the computer in the morning. The router shows an internet connection and shows an IP address, but I can't access anything outside of the network. I have to release and then renew the DHCP, and then everything works fine for the rest of the day - until next morning, when the same thing happens. It could be an ISP issue, I don't know yet. I'll have to do a little more troubleshooting on this and look at the logs to find out exactly what's going on here. 
Are you wired or wireless when this happens? Have you set up DHCP Reserved IP addresses ON the router?

Anyway, aside from these few issues, a very nice router, I am happy with it so far.

Thank you for the info and sharing your experiences. I can't wait to get mine this week I hope. Do you still have the DIR-827?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

crocodile69

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »

I use MAC filtering, yes, and I already have 18 entries in there... They really should increase the max number of entries to more than 24.

I got the router last week and I immediately loaded the latest firmware, 1.03. The password reset happened once after selecting "reboot" from Tools>System. I just checked this again today, and it did not happen again, so I don't know.. Maybe it was just that one time.
With firmware 1.03, I had no problems setting the router from Firefox, everything went really smooth. I totally appreciate the fact that now you can save the settings without the router automatically rebooting every time you did that, as it was the case with previous routers. It saves a lot of time.

The disconnect issue, I would blame it on the ISP for now. This morning it did not happen again, but if it comes back, I'll look more into it to find out what's going on. (it was on my main PC connected to port 1 on the router, and yes I have DHCP reservations set on the router for all my network devices. I did not check if other devices on the network had internet access, I was just in a hurry to get my connection back, but as I said, if it happens again I'll do more troubleshooting).

I still have the DIR-827, I'm trying to sell it on Craigslist  ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:40:08 AM by crocodile69 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:15:15 PM »

I think FF was reported as having the problem. Let us know if you see it again and test it with IE.

See if any other devices still have access to the Internet before rebooting the router. Also during this time frame, do you still have access to the routers web pages?

Where are you located? Any interest in letting someone demo test the DIR-827?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

crocodile69

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »

See if any other devices still have access to the Internet before rebooting the router. Also during this time frame, do you still have access to the routers web pages?

Where are you located? Any interest in letting someone demo test the DIR-827?

Yes I could log in to the router's setup just fine. Once there, I had to release/renew the DHCP on the WAN side. That's why I think it was likely an ISP issue.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada. As I said, I'm trying to sell the DIR-827... If you happen to know anybody interested in buying it, I'd be more than happy to talk to them. That router works just as well as it did the first day I got it, BTW. The main thing I didn't like about it was that the built-in media server wasn't really working as it should - a firmware issue that to my knowledge they never fixed.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »

What ISP modem do you currently have?

Understand, if you were in the U.S. I might be interested. I was just hoping to get one on loan so I can check it out on my network. I'm visiting Victoria this coming month for the holidays.

Did you ever contact DLink support about the media server issue?

crocodile69

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »

I have a Thomson Speedtouch, modem-only.

I never contacted D-Link support about the media server on the DIR-827, there was nothing that the guys on the phone could do to help anyway. It was a firmware issue, and they never fixed it. I ended up spending more money on a WD Mybook Live NAS.
BTW, it looks like ASUS routers have some USB ports that actually work, with a good media server, and Samba. Unfortunately I found that out too late...

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »

Ok.

Well, I've never seen this on any other router that supports storage. My 857 seems to work well alone with a 645. My 865L arrived yesterday so will be delving into it this weekend. So far, I'm liking it. Haven't had a chance to to configure anything cept for wifi. I like the new QOS UI, like the 645 and does have higher UPlink settings so I don't think it's limited by the 2mb cap as seen on other routers.

I personally don't care to use USB. It will always be a bottle neck, technically speaking and wired Gb LAN is preferred. USB can handle some things however just when it come to performance and handling of large streams, file xfers and such, wired is the way to go. IMO, USB is good for small things, like mice, keyboards and printers or maybe a quick file xfer of documents and such. Using USB as main connections for anything else seems to be problematic considering the variety of USB drives and products and then having to deal with the multitudes of data types and sizes. Maybe other Mfrs handle USB better, then again maybe not. USB is a standard however it all comes down to how Mrfs implement it on products. I personally have never liked USB. Firewire was so much easier to use and it worked very well. Was shame it didn't get the market share enough.

Well maybe someone will snag it up or maybe you can keep the 827 for a back up router, maybe turn it into an AP if you need additional WiFi coverage.

I'll be testing the 865L out and be reporting what I find.