• March 29, 2024, 08:09:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless MAC cloning in Bridge Mode  (Read 17104 times)

hartlenb

• Level 2 Member
Wireless MAC cloning in Bridge Mode
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:44:36 AM »

I'm running the 1522 as a bridge with v1.21 firmware.  I have 2 devices wired to it. I have Wireless MAC cloning disabled (not checked). If I scan my network using a tool such as ipscanner (http://www.radmin.com/products/ipscanner/) the devices attached to the bridge are being listed with the 1522's MAC address - not their own.

The way I read the help file - the connected devices should be showing up with their own MAC addresses.  The 1522's address should only be displayed IF MAC cloning is enabled and IF the cloning mode is set to Auto.

So - is my understanding of this feature incorrect or is my 1522 not performing as spec'd?

hartlenb

• Level 2 Member
Re: Wireless MAC cloning in Bridge Mode
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »

I've traded multiple emails with D-Link support.  So far they won't acknowledge this as a problem.

ducktape68

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 05:45:42 PM »

I'm having the exact same issue here (v1.21 firmware). It's extremely frustrating because it means I can only have one device on the bridged segment of the network accessible from the non-bridged segment, and to do this I actually had to enable MAC cloning and clone the MAC of the device I want exposed. If I uncheck cloning, I would expect that a device like this would pass all MAC addresses through untouched, but as you said, it doesn't it just replaces the source MACs of outbound traffic with it's own (which means no devices are accessible).
I think I'm going to have to ditch this device.

hartlenb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:25:48 AM »

Unfortunately the support team don't appear to be interested at all in fixing this... If you find a product that works and is supported please post it here so others can make the switch.

mrman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:03:09 AM »

Hi folks,

I too am getting the same mac (of the DLINK 1522) sent out masking the MACs of my 2 devices on the DLINK LAN ports.  I was running v1.21 and just upgraded to 1.31... I can confirm 1.31 still has the problem and since this device is 3 years old, it probably won't get a fix.  In my job I test dozens of devices like this from all kinds of vendors.  This is by far the worst, most flaky product I have ever tested. Here are other issues I found just so folks may not feel like they are alone:
-(verified still a problem in 1.3.1) WiFi site survey does not always update showing no available access points when there definitely are some available
-(not verified in 1.31) In a congested WiFi environment, the site survey page only shows the first 20 or so APs.... so it is near impossible to get it to connect to any other APs not on the displayed page (no way to scroll down)
-does not automatically connect with wifi (when set as a bridge) unless one of its LAN ports is active... this was very troublesome during some of my tests and should be a configurable setting (maybe I missed the setting in the UI).
-Firefox 5 did not render the WiFi setup page properly so I was forced to use IE.

all in all... a huge disappointment and this mac cloning issue just topped off the cake...

Blurten

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 09:07:26 PM »

I've got 2 x DAP1522s one is running V1.10 (to be upgraded) and the other V1.40.

I tried other bridges from Netgear, Tenda and DLink and the DAP1522 is the best. Because I run a DLink DIR855 Dual Band Router, the DAP1522s are the only devices I've found that reliably connect at 5GHz.

I have set MAC cloning to Auto on both DAP-1522s, which then stops the DAP-1522 from NATing the attached devices MACs and allows theirs MACs to be forwarded.

Disabling MAC cloning on the DAP-1522s NATs the attached devices MAC addresses and only forwards the DAP-1522's MAC.

deweyii

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 06:39:54 PM »

This is still not working. Anybody know any workarounds.

lancemoreland

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »

My DAP-1533's exhibit the same behavior.  They are only good for a single connected device in bridge mode as you have to clone the mac of the device you need to see on the network.  The auto clone feature does not work.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:28:02 PM by lancemoreland »