• April 23, 2024, 04:13:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-920 wireless flaw  (Read 4716 times)

rawbob

• Level 1 Member
DCS-920 wireless flaw
« on: September 01, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »

Hi Folks

Just tried out two new DCS-920 cameras into my local area network today, to go along with some existing 1000w's (!), 900s, 900w's, g900s, and a 910.  All are configured similarly, e.g. same wireless ssid, encryption etc. for the wireless models, but of course each camera has its own unique static 192.168... IP address. 

My wireless network is a little unusual in that I have TWO access points (APs), both set to the same ssid and encryption.  Unlike the other camera models, the presence of two APs with the same ssid appears to confuse the 920; here's what seems to be happening--

(1) the 920 shows both APs in its Site Survey (as it should)
(2) it connects to one of the APs  -- by this I mean after the 3 green blinks I get a solid green that flickers with traffic.  The AP confirms a connection.
(3) However, the 920 never makes it on to the IP network.  You can't ping it or browse to it.
(4) Both 920s behaved in exactly the same manner.  Note again my g900s, 900w's, and 1000w's do NOT have the problem.

I don't use DCamView (I have my own homegrown security software), but that's not really relevant anyway.  I do have an old install of IPView which works with all the above cameras; when I have it search for a new camera, it will "discover" the 920, display its IP address, and ask if I want to install it.  When I say yes, it responds by saying it could not connect (using the IP address it discovered!).

I had a long and productive discussion with a level 3 tech via the tech support 888 number (FYI case number ALR400495190).  We found that if I turned off one of my APs (or changed the ssid), the camera worked fine.

It seems to me that the camera is not locked in sufficiently to the specific AP it connected to (e.g. by MAC address); it seems to assume that any AP that presents the ssid that it connected to must be the right AP to communicate with, and as a result it is processing traffic to/from the wrong AP at least part of the time.

I consider this to be a serious issue.  My multi-AP configuration is not all that unusual, especially in commercial environments, e.g. hotels, airports, etc. (and in neighborhoods where nobody bothers to change their ssid's to something unique, as opposed to "default" et al.)

I suspect this will cause you D-Link folks some grief for awhile.  BTW other than the wireless glitch I love the camera!

bobraw

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DCS-920 wireless flaw
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:00:50 PM »

Are you running the latest 1.03 firmware for the DCS-920?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

unreal

• Level 1 Member
Re: DCS-920 wireless flaw
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »

Lol, is that the best you can do? Really? After 8 days? You guys are ridiculous. Did you at least forward the OP's post to the dev team, or did you just hit the Firmware 1.03 macro and move on to the next post?