• March 28, 2024, 01:08:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Canīt reset my DCS 3420 to default settings  (Read 4890 times)

miroslav_s

• Level 1 Member
Canīt reset my DCS 3420 to default settings
« on: December 19, 2015, 05:41:26 AM »

I have this dlink dcs 3420 camera which has worked great so far as surveillance camera for my house. It was connected to my internet with ethernet cable. I wanted to see how it will work wireless. Before testing how camera will work wifi I changed my internet password (I do that from time to time).
So the first step before testing camera wireless I went to cameras webpage (192.168.0.191:1025) to set up all the necessary settings in order for wifi to work, as you can see from the link  http://prntscr.com/9fzkb7 . On that page I put the new password. Everything went fine and the camera started to work good wireless. So then I wanted to see what happens when the power goes OFF and then ON, will the camera reconnect back to wifi. And here is the problem, the camera is not online. In order to see the camera I have to reconnect Ethernet cable from my router to ip camera. What I find it strange is that the old settings are back (my old internet password is back in the camera settings). Why? I did press the save button. I tried to reset my camera in order to start from scratch but every time I do that nothing changes, camera is still on the same ip address with the same setting as before. Now I know how to do the reset (press the reset button, hold it while the led is blinking red-yellow for about 10 sec,then release)
SO my questions are:
1.   Why is my camera holding on the old password even after I change it in the settings? I am guessing that is why my camera is not reconnecting to my internet.
2.   Where am I doing wrong trying to reset my camera to default settings?
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Best regrads to you all!
Miro

Hard Harry

Re: Canīt reset my DCS 3420 to default settings
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 06:21:45 AM »

A couple things come to mind. First, what are your wireless security setttings? The screenshot shows you enterting in your password, but it also shows hex keys under. Hex keys are usually for WEP, but it looks like your camera is set to WPA. Is it possible the settings aren't saving because of a conflict?

If you reset your DCS, and change any other settings (non password) and save it, and power off/on the camera, does that save? Also, any change if you use the UI factory reset as per page 50 of manual? If not, there may be a issue with the flash that stores the config.  However, I think there is a key difference between a factory reset and a hard reset. I think a hard reset reloads the config on flash, while a factory reset restores config from RAM. I am a camera noob though, so feel free to correct me.

miroslav_s

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 09:18:42 AM »

A couple things come to mind. First, what are your wireless security setttings? The screenshot shows you enterting in your password, but it also shows hex keys under. Hex keys are usually for WEP, but it looks like your camera is set to WPA. Is it possible the settings aren't saving because of a conflict?
Answer:
My wifi internet settings http://prntscr.com/9g2tk9
I connected again my camera with Ethernet cable in order to get contact with it and it showed up on my network with the same ip address. But of course all my new settings I made before are gone, for example, the new password (http://prntscr.com/9g2vou) , audio settings and so on.
So here is step by step how I do it:
1.   http://prntscr.com/9g2wzy
2.   http://prntscr.com/9g2xmu
3.   http://prntscr.com/9g2y00
4.   http://prntscr.com/9g2yqx   PART regarding your questions about HEX KEYS and WEP. I donīt understand what you mean with conflict. I am not using WEP security so I donīt understand what those Hex keys are, canīt even make change there even if I wanted as you can see.

After I disconnect my camera from Ethernet cable the camera is not showing at all on my network. So I reconnected it to see if the changes are saved. NO. For example I connected external microphone to it and made changes in AUDIO settings http://prntscr.com/9g3ip6  but after powering OFF/ON camera nothing is saved 
I guess the new entries are not saved somehow. Why? Is there some place more I need to “click” save button before I disconnect the camera from Ethernet cable or power it OFF/ON?
Also, the link you gave me regarding Manual, it is not working.
Thanks for helping me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:30:53 AM by FurryNutz »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 09:32:57 AM »

Please enable hyper links when inputting URLs in to the forum text. Helps us select the link and go to the URL for review. Use the 2nd button over from the right 2nd row down on the forum icon tool bar for inserting hyper links.

Thank you.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

miroslav_s

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »

Please enable hyper links when inputting URLs in to the forum text. Helps us select the link and go to the URL for review. Use the 2nd button over from the right 2nd row down on the forum icon tool bar for inserting hyper links.

Thank you.

Sorry, will do that next time.
My apologies

Hard Harry

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 12:19:21 PM »

but after powering OFF/ON camera nothing is saved 
I guess the new entries are not saved somehow. Why? Is there some place more I need to “click” save button before I disconnect the camera from Ethernet cable or power it OFF/ON?
I think this is your main problem, forget the things I mentioned about the Hex keys. If settings aren't saving, then I think something might be wrong with your DCS 3420. Did you try the factory reset via the web UI?

Ahh, sorry about that. I used the Hyperlink function on the forum which doesn't work with FTP sites. Try this instead.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »

The FTP button is the 4th one over on the 2nd row if needed for FTP URLs.  ;)

I think this is your main problem, forget the things I mentioned about the Hex keys. If settings aren't saving, then I think something might be wrong with your DCS 3420. Did you try the factory reset via the web UI?

Ahh, sorry about that. I used the Hyperlink function on the forum which doesn't work with FTP sites. Try this instead.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member

miroslav_s

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 01:17:55 AM »

Yes, you are right, I do have problem trying to save the settings I chose. Nothing is saved despite that I click on the Apply button. You asked me if I tried factory reset via web UI. Yes I did try that after you mentioned it. But once again nothing happens, this is the text showing on the page after I press Apply button:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The connection was interrupted

Lost connection to server during the download page .

The place may be temporarily down or busy. Try again later .
    If you can not open any page at all , check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy , make sure that Firefox is permitted to connect to the Web.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I try it on internet explorer or internet edge page gets frozen and nothing happens. I am giving up. I guess I need to keep this camera connected with Ethernet cable. Thanks anyway for trying to help me.
Best regards to you all,
Miro