• March 28, 2024, 02:26:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DNS-323 iTunes Server w/ iTunes 10  (Read 42247 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: DNS-323 iTunes Server w/ iTunes 10
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »

Why people continue to buy Apple products continues to amaze me. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

starion

• Level 1 Member
Re: Two Ideas
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »

IDEA#1 - has anyone tried making the 323 their default itunes location by mapping it as a network drive and saving or purchasing a song to it to see if iTunes will:

1) recognize it as a valid "save to" storage location, the DNS may not let this happen

2) if it does save to that location does it then see that song on the play list?

If sucessful that would indicate that v10 is saving files in a new storage format and its not the DNS's issue with the way its iTunes share server is presenting the files.

IDEA#2 - I'm also tempted to rename my iTunes folder on the DNS, then copy a v10 library to the DNS as the iTunes folder share it and see if iTunes sees the new v10 library on my laptop.

I would bet id it were possible to "authorize" the DNS as a valid account, iTunes would allow it.

Just a few random thoughts

Yes, and yes.  We have our iTunes 10 pointed to the media folder on the 323 and it generally works.  We have noticed however that if the same machine has heavy traffic to the NAS drive for other purposes, the music sometimes doesn't play out the speaker (the equalizer bars bounce around as if they are playing the music, just no sound).  Network traffic reduced, music plays consistently.  Strange.

HSishi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »

It is no problem to map any NAS folder as a drive in Windows Explorer so iTunes just sees "[drive letter]:\[folder]" instead of "[network server]\\[network path]". This works fine.
I even managed to access the folder via VPN - I did this with an AVM 7170 and used an UMTS mobile phone for internet connection.

The Bonjour server just shared the files for streaming - if Apple thinks to make it harder for their customers to use the feature ... well ... at this point I agree with gunrunnerjohn :) .

//HSishi

Stork

• Level 1 Member
iTunes 10.0.1 Update fixes Re: DNS-323 iTunes Server w/ iTunes 10
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 08:51:13 AM »

iTunes update 10.0.1 is out and is reported to fix the compatibility problem with mt-daapd/FireFire.

• Addresses an issue where the iTunes library and playlists appear empty.
• Resolves an issue that created an incompatibility with some third-party shared libraries.

iTunes 10.0.1 can be downloaded from iTunes' update function or from here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1103

Check it and report your sucess or any problems.

btm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »

Thanks for the post Stork...but does it work???

I may update later on...but I would love confimation from someone before getting my hopes up only to be let down.

UPDATE:  NO!

Let's wait another month and see is 10.0.2 fixes things :(  If anyone happens to have success please post...as I may reinstall iTunes or something.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:47:11 PM by btm »

scotsgeezer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 02:42:40 PM »

10.0.1 works for me  :)

Listening to music streamed from DNS via itunes as i write this

Shows up as this

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 02:54:00 PM by scotsgeezer »

btm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 02:56:24 PM »

Hum...

I can still see the NAS,  however after a minute or so it just reverts back to my library...just as it has been.  Actually just updated all machines as well and still no luck...I had stopped updating to iTunes 10 after the 1st machine after seeing the NAS issue.  

I'll probably start simple, rebooting all machines, and see what happens.  

UPDATE:
Rebooted the NAS and we're back in business!!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 05:24:37 PM by btm »

BDX

• Level 1 Member
10.0.1 -----> Back in bidness!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 07:23:56 AM »

I did find a workaround but it was so heinous in nature i just didnt bother trying to post it..however
10.0.1 Fixes Untitled & Empty Play List, Okie dokie ;)

Addendum: You know, it almost seems to work BETTER under 10.0.1...but once then again maybe I'm just glad to have my NAS feeding my music again...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:49:56 AM by BDX »

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 08:51:21 AM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of the iTunes server in the 323? I enabled it once, and saw it in iTunes, but from what I can remember what you could do with the media on it at that point was pretty much nothing. I.e you couldn't add music from it to your iPod. I think possibly all you could do was play the music?
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

HSishi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »

Correct. The iTunes server in the DNS-323 is just a streaming server for iTunes clients (PC, MAC ...). If you want to add the music itself to your iPod etc., you have to manually add it to your library.

You do NOT have to copy it into your "Mediathek" folder (I have no idea how Apple calls this folder outside of Germany).

//HSishi

Niteman9

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 09:24:59 PM »

I'm just trying to figure out what the itunes server is for. I currently have all my music stored on my DNS-323 in the Music folder. I also have the library files stored on the DNS-323 (We have five users in the house). I then share this folder on the DNS-323 on each computer/user as the M: drive and can access the music from itunes on any computer in the house. I can add/remove/play music from itunes on any computer in the house. As a note I do not have any DRM songs in my collection. I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

So if anyone could explain what I am missing by not using the itunes server I would be grateful.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »

When you enable the iTunes server of the NAS, the NAS appears in iTunes as a server. From there you can play the content. I never use it either and as you say, you don't have to use it to play the music back through iTunes anyway. I guess the advantage is you don't need any library files containing references to the content stored on the NAS as it is simply streamed directly from it. Good for playing back, but you can't manage the library that way.

I found iTunes unusably slow when the library files were stored on the NAS. I gave up in the end and stored them locally.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 02:21:24 PM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

CCRider

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 05:01:16 AM »

Now, it's not really clear to me, so I'll ask it here:

With iTunes Server enabled on the 323, would one be able to stream the songs in it on an iPhone with Apple Remote installed?
.cc

bighill89

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 09:17:39 PM »

Is there any update on this? I miss my old music which is sitting on my NAS! My iTunes 10 isn't detecting my iTunes server anymore. I tried refreshing the iTunes server in the DNS323 > Advanced.

EdC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »

why should apple fix anything for D-link?
D-link should be the ones fixing their snail ware NAS to iTunes standards and while they are doing that maybe find a way to boast the transfers speeds from 20mbs to something in the real world time of a usb2.0 cable then they would only be a little behind the transfer speeds of usb3.0......

I am so sorry I bought one of these desk clutters
Pages: 1 [2] 3