• March 28, 2024, 01:39:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: QoS (gamefuel) not working correctly.  (Read 17529 times)

DAOWAce

• Level 1 Member
QoS (gamefuel) not working correctly.
« on: August 29, 2010, 02:11:36 PM »

And D-Link support is useless and wants me to pay for any help.  Trying here, but I doubt I'll get help either as these boards are incredibly dead.

============Begin of Original Message==========
I have QoS setup with GameFuel and am having an issue.

I've correctly (to my knowledge) setup the IPs and ports for the connection I want prioritized, however the router decides to do the exact opposite of what I want for the TCP connection.  It sets the UDP to my specification (50), but it sets the TCP to 255.  As such, the connection is hampered by other network traffic on the router.

Any idea what's wrong?
============End of Original Message============

They replied, and I replied back.

============Begin of Original Message==========
Here's my Gamefuel settings: www.daow.net/images/gamefuel.png  They were more restrictive and TCP only (priority 50 too), but I increased the port range dramatically and changed the type to 'any' to troubleshoot.  In doing so, I found the UDP connections actually took priority, but the TCP was still at 255.  Toggling automatic classification also did nothing.

Here's proof: http://www.daow.net/images/activesessions.png  This time there's no UDP ones, strange.  I'll open up the connections again tomorrow, see if I get them to appear.
============End of Original Message============

I never did re-test since support proved to be useless.

So, can anyone help? If not, can I be linked to a better forum where I can actually get real support?

PS: I may end up posting this in a different forum section if the DGL-4100 one is dead.

DAOWAce

• Level 1 Member
Re: QoS (gamefuel) not working correctly.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 03:11:50 PM »

Well, I just set a new rule for a new game and it's somehow working.. but still not working for the old.

I have no more logical guesses as to why this is happening.

DAOWAce

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »

This still isn't working, funny that.

Continues to set the priority to 255 regardless of what I set, causing latency issues when streaming.

I guess it's time to get a new router.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »

Link>Welcome!

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.
What region are you located?
Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
Has a Factory Reset been performed?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works.
To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged.
If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.

Please review this:
DGL-4500 Gaming and Gamefuel for XBL
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:22:59 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

DAOWAce

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »

Oh hey, you.

I just looked at a few other sources trying to troubleshoot this more.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=37089.0

http://www.jerrykindall.com/gamefuel.html

We can't set port ranges anymore with 'Any' protocol selected, and it doesn't seem this old router has support for 'both' TCP and UDP protocols (or at least the web UI doesn't allow it), which is quite ridiculous.  Funny that my screenshot has 'any' protocol with port ranges.. I can't do that anymore; it complains and disables port ranges. (Edit: Turns out the port ranges stay in the list if you change it to 'any' after having set them.  Whether still stick on the router's end I don't know)

To answer the questions, well.

Hardware rev: A3
Firmware: 1.8 (yes, I know about the issues 1.8 supposedly has, yet I've never seen anything wrong)

I don't think most of the questions asked are relevant for this issue, as it's with GameFuel prioritization, not connectivity issues outside the router.

I've not done a factory reset as I refuse to lose all the settings I've accumulated over the years.  Yes, we can save our configuration, but I don't know if it would load everything 100%.

I have all devices on my network IP reserved, so no issues there.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:25:45 PM by DAOWAce »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »

Oh hey, you.

I just looked at a few other sources trying to troubleshoot this more.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=37089.0

http://www.jerrykindall.com/gamefuel.html
Yes this link I initially found years ago and started to test them with my DGL-4500 not knowing what Gamefule was all about or how to configure it. All the new stuff is in the new sticky and should work for the legacy HW as well.

We can't set port ranges anymore with 'Any' protocol selected, and it doesn't seem this old router has support for 'both' TCP and UDP protocols, which is quite ridiculous.
Were dealing with out dated FW design what was at the time all that was probably needed.  :-\ We still use BOTH and does work for the XBL rule. Both should work for the others as well.

To answer the questions, well.

DGL-4100 (Edit: Oh yeah, this forum is for the DGL-4100, durp)
1.8 firmware (yes, I know about the issues 1.8 supposedly has, yet I've never seen anything wrong)
Hardware version.. ugh, I'll get back to that.
If it works, don't fix it. :-X

I don't think most of the questions asked are relevant for this issue, as it's with GameFuel prioritization, not connectivity issues outside the router.
It helps us to know some of the answers to the questions so we can get an idea of what you have going, anything can impact the router operation along with configuration.

I've not done a factory reset as I refuse to lose all the settings I've accumulated over the years.  Yes, we can save our configuration, but I don't know if it would load everything 100%.
It's advised to collect and record configuration information. I recommend doing a save configuration to file along with doing screen captures of all the configuration screens where you adjust settings. One use had a DGL-4300 and it died on him. Even though he had done a save cofiguration to file, there was no way to open the saved config file in an editor to see what his configuration was. The DGL series config files are in a binary format. So with out loading it on another 4300, he lost his configuration. ALL DIR series config files are in a more usable text format and can get viewed with a text editor. However I always do screen capture to a picture file so that I have a back up just in case router becomes non functional.

I have all devices on my network IP reserved, so no issues there.
Good
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

DAOWAce

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »

Okay, it seems that post is true, the invisible high port ranges we can't see without packet monitors or something.

Did more troubleshooting.

I set the source range to anything (0 - 255), no change.
Set the connection type to 'Any', no change.
Set the port range to 1-65535, the prioritization works.

Seems this hidden port ranges are the cause of the prioritization not working.

Then there's the fact that the UI was changed so we can't overlap port ranges anymore.  This appears to be an oversight by the developers.  Thankfully, due to that user who documented his stuff ages ago, we have a way to avoid that (javascript:function pageVerify() { return 1; })

It looks like I'll just have change the port ranges for all my codes to 1-65535.  I don't know for certain what issues this will cause (performance, compatibility, security, etc), but at least it stops my important traffic from being set to 255 for some ludicrous reason.

Still, I can't set 'Both' for protocol.  There is no option for this in the DGL-4100 menu.

What's your protocol number for 'Both' on your 4500?  Maybe it works on the 4100 too.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:21:48 PM by DAOWAce »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:00:32 AM »

I think I saw 267, I'll have to look and see.

I mainly use port 3074 for XBL rule and 0-65535 for ALL Other devices rules.

I'll have a look and see what the protocol number actually is.