• March 28, 2024, 02:28:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Suggestions for a new wireless router?  (Read 1706 times)

agalloway

• Level 3 Member
Suggestions for a new wireless router?
« on: September 24, 2022, 04:04:58 PM »

Since we are extending our work from home until the end of 2021 we have been allocated up to $300 USD to purchase any home networking equipment needed.

My networking setup at home is currently decent, no issues really to report, but I figured since my current router, an Asus RT-87U is EOL/EOS I may as well look into a replacement.

I have about 25 wi-fi devices at home connected to my router across 2.4G and 5G bands, a smart home, IoT devices, a few phones, tablets, laptops, and some wireless cameras. The Internet backbone is COX gigabit service. Wi-Fi 6 seems interesting to me, OFDMA, and wireless AX could be nice benefits long term as today only a few of my devices will support these features.

My main concerns are coverage and low latency throughput. I will gladly trade greater bandwidth in exchange for a lower latency connection. I also need the router to support DOH and Open VPN, though Wire Guard would be fantastic. House is a two-story, new build
10.0 0.0 1 portal, 3500 sq ft. The current RT-87U has zero issues penetrating the walls. In my office which is the farthest away from the router, I get 610Mbps to my laptop on 5G.

Any suggestions?

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
Re: Suggestions for a new wireless router?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 05:48:40 PM »

I went from a 655 to the DIR-X5460 a few years back.  It works well for me, I have about 12 clients using 2.4 and 5.