• April 25, 2024, 06:21:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: questions RE: firmware upgrade and users/groups  (Read 6098 times)

scottatah

• Level 1 Member
questions RE: firmware upgrade and users/groups
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:02:23 PM »

Hey folks

I'm no expert, but vastly appreciate this device.  Network storage makes life much easier on a notebook with a not overly harddrive.

1.  I'm currenlty on the 1.02 firmware, and notice the system doesn't organize folders alphabetically, windows will, but if i load music into winamp, by default they're added in whatever order i created the folders.  Dlink has told me a firmware upgrade will fix it, but the firmware says i'll need to redo my dirves if I do.  I cannot afford to lose this data, nor do i have anywhere to move it for the time being.

Is it absolutey necessary to format the drives?  Could I format one drive, during the upgrade, then put them back in and copy the data from the old drive tothe formatted drive, then format the other drive and recopy the data?

2.  With users and groups, how do those work?  Do they work according to the computer name?  The logon to windows or what?  I never get the option to type in a username/password when attempting to access the NAS  It nearly always says guest.  I have managed to get myself setup with a password protected account, but I often work on other computers and would like to be able to access a certain area for backing up data, but more often than not I'm unable to.

Can someone explain that area to me of what those usernames validate off of?

Thanks for all your help!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: questions RE: firmware upgrade and users/groups
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 02:01:49 PM »

If you're on the 1.02 firmware and using the ext2 file system, there will be no need to reformat the disks after you upgrade to 1.03.

BUT - and - here's an important but - what would you do if the device failed and took your data with it?  If you value the data, you need to back it up.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:27:15 PM »

Hey folks

I'm no expert, but vastly appreciate this device.  Network storage makes life much easier on a notebook with a not overly harddrive.

1.  I'm currenlty on the 1.02 firmware, and notice the system doesn't organize folders alphabetically, windows will, but if i load music into winamp, by default they're added in whatever order i created the folders.  Dlink has told me a firmware upgrade will fix it, but the firmware says i'll need to redo my dirves if I do.  I cannot afford to lose this data, nor do i have anywhere to move it for the time being.

Is it absolutey necessary to format the drives?  Could I format one drive, during the upgrade, then put them back in and copy the data from the old drive tothe formatted drive, then format the other drive and recopy the data?

2.  With users and groups, how do those work?  Do they work according to the computer name?  The logon to windows or what?  I never get the option to type in a username/password when attempting to access the NAS  It nearly always says guest.  I have managed to get myself setup with a password protected account, but I often work on other computers and would like to be able to access a certain area for backing up data, but more often than not I'm unable to.

Can someone explain that area to me of what those usernames validate off of?

Thanks for all your help!

As Fordem mentioned if you are using 1.02 and EXT2 file structure then you will NOT have to reformat. If you are prompted to format the drives after login you can STILL copy data off of the drives as via Network share as long as you don't click the web GUI format button but this is worst case scenario.

Regarding Users/Groups,

The usernames and groups on the device are Separate from your Windows login credentials. They are usernames and groups created on the box only for network sharing and are created in the Linux operating system residing on the box itself. The reason you always see the greyed out Guest login is related to Windows Samba sharing and not specifically the device. The easiest way around this box is to go to the Map Network Drive option and map the drive with the username and password you have created on the DNS-323.

scottatah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 03:21:38 PM »

Excellent, I shall upgrade it now and let ya folks know how it works out.

Thanks for the help so far.

scottatah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:05:29 PM »

OK, I upgraded the firmware without a problem, however the device still shows folders in the order which they were created, not alphabetic.  For example, when setting access for the FTP site, it looks like such:

Anyone run into this issue or have a wonderful fix?