• April 19, 2024, 03:44:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Backup of NAS Config is binary now  (Read 11210 times)

AndyB

• Level 1 Member
Backup of NAS Config is binary now
« on: August 21, 2009, 03:13:37 AM »

Since upgrading to 1.08 beta - the backup of the config is now in binary format.

Please fix / change this back to text config - changing the Share Mode for SAMBA is for some of us essential.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Backup of NAS Config is binary now
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »

Directly editing (or even simply viewing)the config backup prior to reloading it has been the source of heartache for more than a few linux neophytes - perhaps a better way to deal with this be to allow changing of share mode in the admin interface?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

kenyloveg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:55:09 AM »

Directly editing (or even simply viewing)the config backup prior to reloading it has been the source of heartache for more than a few Linux neophytes - perhaps a better way to deal with this be to allow changing of share mode in the admin interface?

We all know the built-in samba is a joke for those who need full functionality/control of it.
While D-Link insist to implement it in the easiest way, to reduce the complex of technical support?
Or would these gurus like fordem be interested to call TS for this kind of problem???
I really doubt it......
Come on D-link, Check out the posts number of DNS323 in this forum...we know you can do better.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:58:24 AM by kenyloveg »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 10:01:01 AM »

We all know the built-in samba is a joke for those who need full functionality/control of it.
While D-Link insist to implement it in the easiest way, to reduce the complex of technical support?
Or would these gurus like fordem be interested to call TS for this kind of problem???
I really doubt it......
Come on D-link, Check out the posts number of DNS323 in this forum...we know you can do better.

Personally - I see nothing wrong with the "built-in samba", and whilst I wouldn't consider the DNS-323 to be perfect, I am (right now) running it with fw 1.08b5 beta, and no further hacks or add-ins, and it does everything I need.

I believe those who have issues are those who are deploying the box in an environment in which D-Link did not intend it to be used - and I have a feeling, and I could be right or wrong, that this change was made in an attempt to reduce the number of neophytes getting themselves into trouble.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm no linux guru, and despite having used both unix and linux for over a decade, I still get tripped by the CR/LF issues - if it happens to me, what hope is there for the home user who never heard of it before he bought his (or her's)  DNS-323?

What do I think it needs to make it really complete?

Support for an external removable USB hard disk and backup-to/restore-from said external disk through the web admin. interface - how about it D-Link?

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:13:44 PM »

Quote from: fordem
What do I think it needs to make it really complete?

Support for an external removable USB hard disk and backup-to/restore-from said external disk through the web admin. interface - how about it D-Link?

Yes, USB HDD and perhaps rsync for backup/restore to/from another NAS.
That would be great.

rws8258

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:50:26 PM »

B I N G O !
1 x DNS-323 (BNS323A....B1), F/W: 1.07
2 x 1.5Tb Barracuda 7200.11, ST31500341AS, F/W: CC1H

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 08:04:49 PM »

I believe those who have issues are those who are deploying the box in an environment in which D-Link did not intend it to be used

+1  You said it.  The DNS-343 addresses some of this.. or a higher-end system from any vendor should be considered.  It never ceases to amaze me how people forget that "you get what you pay for."

AndyB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 04:58:37 AM »

Regarding Samba:
I think it should be made possible to change basic samba settings like the share mode - either via GUI or via Config File. We are talking about basic settings here ...

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 05:54:30 AM »

The design philosophy of this - and many other NAS units, both in the consumer & corporate markets - is web administration, where the user entry is parsed and checked for errors before it is accepted.

If the "feature" cannot be enabled through the web admin pages, then what you are doing is hacking the unit.

AndyB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:25:22 AM »

fordem - come on ...
hacking would be applying fun_plug but not changing the samba config.

Anyway - will be interesting to see the routines that migrate the binary config to new firmware. Hope we don't need to go back making screenshots to save and recreate a NAS config.
At least with text files, it was easy to resetup the NAS.

My Main Point here:
If the functionality with Public Access will be fixed, the config change is not necessary anyway.

See my other thread regarding this issue:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7502.0

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 03:11:20 AM »

I second that. Infact, the only reason I looked in to fun_plug was so that I could get this functionality. If I can add support with a single text file and a USB driver, I'm sure Dlink could easily add this feature.

I'm a Linux noob but for anyone who is interested in a script that will backup certain directories on their NAS on bootup to an external USB drive, here is a script. ** Please read the comments before using it!

* MODIFIED BY THE MOD*
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:00:52 PM by D-Link Multimedia »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 05:22:10 AM »

fordem - come on ...
hacking would be applying fun_plug but not changing the samba config.

The true definition of hacking, and this by the way, predates the use of computers and the current interpretation of the word, is the addition of a feature that was not provided by the manufacturer.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 12:01:37 PM »

I second that. Infact, the only reason I looked in to fun_plug was so that I could get this functionality. If I can add support with a single text file and a USB driver, I'm sure Dlink could easily add this feature.

I'm a Linux noob but for anyone who is interested in a script that will backup certain directories on their NAS on bootup to an external USB drive, here is a script. ** Please read the comments before using it!

* MODIFIED BY THE MOD*

Don't post scripts here, only warning.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 12:51:44 PM »

Sorry, didn't realise I couldn't. Was only trying to help people who may also want this feature and not have the know-how. :(
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »

Headings at the main section (stickies) should be read before posting to avoid these things. While the beta section is a 'unique' section to the forums, rules do still apply. Theres already boards out there for that which you have posted, the main reason for these boards is support, beta is secondary.