• March 28, 2024, 08:37:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DSL-520B - dead - blinking LAN + DSL LEDs - don't throw it away just yet  (Read 10528 times)

lewekleonek

• Level 1 Member

Last night I lost my internet connection.  It was getting late so I thought that something popped on the ISP's end.  I started standard debugging by trying to reconnect; nope that wouldn't work.
Next on my list was to cycle the power on the modem (DSL-520B) itself.  Great!  It did come back but instead of the standard light show, I was getting synchronous blinks from LAN and DSL LEDs. This was pretty ominous.
In the next hour or so:
1. dug up my old speadstream 5200 - it does connect - great; google time - somone mentions that they've run into the same thing; dlink told them the modem is dead ;(
2. I popped the modem open and right away started suspecting the broadcom BGA chip, but let's be logical...
3. I've plugged in the power adapter, connected multimeter to the power terminals - lo and behold the voltage was all over the place... 2V... 5.6V...10.5V

So if you scrolled down right to the bottom because of tl;dr syndrome:
The power adapter may be fried.  Change it - your modem may still work.  YMMV.  I've used power supply that came with SATA/PATA to USB adapter, but you may use any computer power supply or any power supply that provides 12V DC and you can draw 500mA current from it.  If you're good with soldering, then you'll have it up and running in no time.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:51:19 PM by lewekleonek »