• April 16, 2024, 04:36:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How-to...distinguish between 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz for different media content  (Read 4267 times)

toyman61

• Level 1 Member

I might have overlooked something, but I don't understand how I can set up my DIR-855 so that High Definition (HD)-content, DivX-movies in SD, JPEG-pictures and MP3-music can be streamed over the 5 GHz frequency band, while all other traffic on the wireless network are using the 2,4 GHz frequency band.

Both are set up with the same SSID-name and the same passphrase. And of course IEEE 802.11n on both.. :-)

My setup is:
PC-A: 1 stationary PC containing HD-movies, SD-movies (DivX), jpeg-pictures and mp3-music. Uses the DWA-160 USB-adaptor for communication.
PC-B: 1 HTPC (Asrock ION 330) which is used to receive streaming content from PC-A and direct the sound to my Home Theater-box and the video-stream to my Full-HD LCD TV. Used the DWA-160 USB-adaptor for communication.
1 DIR-855 router which is also used for connecting to the Internet.. (of course!). :-)

Anyone ?

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member

With your setup and equipment you can't distinguish between both frequencies for different data types.
As the DWA-160 can only connect to either 2.4 or 5 GHz and you have only 2 clients.

It is more useful if you have more clients and media servers connected via wireless.
so you can for example internally use 5 GHz or streaming media from on server to a client  and at the same time all others can use 2.4 GHz for downloading and browsing the web.
They won't obstruct the media stream by reducing the available bandwidth.

What you can do is: assign different SSIDs and connect one client at 5 GHz and the other at 2.4 GHz.
So both can use the complete bandwidth of one frequency.

toyman61

• Level 1 Member

Quote from the D-Link homepage about DIR-855: "This allows you to check e-mail and browse the Internet using the 2.4GHz band while simultaneously streaming High-Definition (HD) movies and other media on the 5GHz band.".  (http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=681).

To be able to do this I will have to define to SSIDs, one for the 2,4 GHz bandwidth and one for the 5 GHz bandwidth (i.e. "network1" and "network2"). Then I will have to make the PC-B using "network2", and having two DWA-160 adapters on PC-A. But which network will PC-A use when I try to browse the Internet from it ?
Maybe the solution is to define an "ad-hoc" network between PC-A and PC-B ?  But then again I will have problems browsing the Internet from PC-B..

Anyone ?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:42:19 AM by toyman61 »