• March 28, 2024, 05:38:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Alt-F is an alternative firmware  (Read 58142 times)

bigwebb83

• Level 2 Member
Re: Alt-F is an alternative firmware
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »

I currently have a 2x2tb RAID1 setup.  If I were to install a 2tb usb drive with this alternative firmware, could I do a mix of RAID1 and JBOD?  What I mean is, can I keep my current RAID1 setup with the two existing drives and just add an additional usb drive and have it show as a second drive for more space as opposed to being in the RAID setup?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 02:39:42 PM »

You can achieve that without changing your firmware. Lookup Fonz Fun Plug.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

bigwebb83

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »

I have ffp installed...

bigwebb83

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 03:05:12 PM »

What do I need to do to enable the use of an external usb drive?  And will it perform as I described in my previous post?

On a side note, I'm worried that I may have bricked my dns-323.  I followed the instructions for trying alt-f firmware and when i went to execute alt-f.sh (remotely from work) the telnet session froze and then booted me and I haven't been able to access the web interface or the ftp server for about 20 minutes now.

krenkey

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »

What do I need to do to enable the use of an external usb drive?  And will it perform as I described in my previous post?

On a side note, I'm worried that I may have bricked my dns-323.  I followed the instructions for trying alt-f firmware and when i went to execute alt-f.sh (remotely from work) the telnet session froze and then booted me and I haven't been able to access the web interface or the ftp server for about 20 minutes now.

It might be doing a fsck if you see a heartbeat blue power light flashing its doing a fsck if you can ping it but cant access the box just wait

bigwebb83

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »

Ok so I've got it back working again.  So how can I use the external drive with FFP?

krenkey

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 04:31:46 AM »

Just plug the thing in and make a samba share done

brotherman38

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 09:06:11 AM »

Will using the Alt-F, increase the SAMBA, and FTP transfer speed, I'm currently getting 8 Kbits with SAMBA, and 15 Kbits with FTP on a GBit network.

Giammi_1963

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »

Hi to everybody, thanks a lot for support our device, d-link should not stop to support our device.
Just a question, if I install this alternative firmware, I'll lost all my data ? I read that it support an USB hard drive, but I may only make a back-up, no incremental or other ?
Sorry for my english
Regards
Gianni
...nobody can help me ?

krenkey

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »

I did not loose any data but remember any data that isnt backed up is considered data that you dont want<<<<<there are always risks to installing other firmwares read the faq's and understand the risks

Giammi_1963

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 04:52:48 AM »

I did not loose any data but remember any data that isnt backed up is considered data that you dont want<<<<<there are always risks to installing other firmwares read the faq's and understand the risks
Thanks a lot Krenkey, obviusly I already backupped my data in 2 different drive (PC + external USB)+NAS in mirroring means enogh security (...never said never...); my question was only because restore 1 tera of data need lot of time, so my second question is do you suggest to move to this custom firmware (improving transfer speed, direct back-up to drive USB, anything else )  ?
Thanks again
Gianni

bigwebb83

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 06:46:25 AM »

Just plug the thing in and make a samba share done

How do I do that?  I don't see anything about samba in the web interface and I don't just intuitively know how to do it through telnet

bigwebb83

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 08:35:11 AM »

Ok I have found a link on the dns-323 wiki page on how to do this.  Although its not nearly as simple as you made it sound, I think I should be able to manage.  My question is, how will this show up on a win 7 pc?  In other words how will I access it?  I'm not familiar with samba.  Is there a special client?  Or will it just be a separate volume under my current mapped drive?

Also, my intent is to probably get a 3tb usb drive and use it for storage of bd ISO files so I can rip my collection to a network storage and play it back over something like the netgear neotv 550.  Will the neo tv be able to see this drive as well?  Thanks in advance

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 09:17:35 AM »

For further details on using the USB port of the NAS to attach a hard drive, see the link below. The article assumes you are running Fonz Fun Plug (ffp).

You can also format your attached drives as EXT2 or 3 if you want (i.e. not just FAT32/NTFS).

http://www.horto.ca/?p=27
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:20:27 AM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

krenkey

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »

Dunno it took me literally 30 seconds to plug in drive use the alt-f webpage and create a samba share and then open my network places and there is the samba share ready to go couldnt get easier than that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3