• April 24, 2024, 10:01:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Extending NAS services...  (Read 2576 times)

geolos

• Level 1 Member
Extending NAS services...
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:55:14 AM »

Hi all,

Currently I have firmware (NAS firmware ver) 1.01 with funplug. I used funplug in order to be able and have ssh access for installing additional goodies such as apache, php etc. but now after so much time I am unable of updating deployed components e.g. php as the current Linux distro (Squeeze) is deprecated. This implies that repos are difficult to find, and if you do so some components/libraries cannot be upgraded (e.g. latest php) due the OS which is now obsolete.

I have read that funplug support was ended long time ago and that in new fimwares ssh access is allowed. Hence my questions:
1.   does ssh gives full admin/root access i.e. can I install apache on DNS-327, tweak cron jobs etc. via ssh?
2.   if let’s say by mistake I use ssh and I erase everything on NAS, how can the latest firmware be uploaded to the NAS within GUI ?
3.   in 1.01 firmware the deployed Linux distro was Debian 6.0 Squeeze. In the latest firmware which distro is it provided ?
4.   is there by any chance a way to install Debian 8.0 Jessie ? – on my own risk of course & at no problem of losing the nicely GUI interface that is provided by the default firmware.

Thank you in advance
Christos
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:04:49 AM by geolos »

vtverdohleb

• Level 5 Member
    • Add-Ons for D-Link NAS
Re: Extending NAS services...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 10:12:11 AM »

Hi all,

Currently I have firmware (NAS firmware ver) 1.01 with funplug. I used funplug in order to be able and have ssh access for installing additional goodies such as apache, php etc. but now after so much time I am unable of updating deployed components e.g. php as the current Linux distro (Squeeze) is deprecated. This implies that repos are difficult to find, and if you do so some components/libraries cannot be upgraded (e.g. latest php) due the OS which is now obsolete.

I have read that funplug support was ended long time ago and that in new fimwares ssh access is allowed. Hence my questions:
1.   does ssh gives full admin/root access i.e. can I install apache on DNS-327, tweak cron jobs etc. via ssh?

Add-on OpenSSH - a full-featured sshd with "root" privileges. Apache is not done, there is a built-in "lighttpd" and add-on "nginx". Cron - add-on vtcron.

2.   if let’s say by mistake I use ssh and I erase everything on NAS, how can the latest firmware be uploaded to the NAS within GUI ?

I do not quite understand the question.
If you accidentally erase everything on the HDD - data recovery would be almost impossible.
Firmware is on NAND, and not on the HDD, so the HDD data erasure will not damage the firmware.

3.   in 1.01 firmware the deployed Linux distro was Debian 6.0 Squeeze. In the latest firmware which distro is it provided ?

In any firmware can run "Squeeze" or "Wheezy" using "chroot".

4.   is there by any chance a way to install Debian 8.0 Jessie ? – on my own risk of course & at no problem of losing the nicely GUI interface that is provided by the default firmware.

On this issue, I can not say anything, but I doubt very much that such a possibility exists.
Add-on Application questions and issues, please include the following minimal information in your post:
* ShareCenter Model
* Add-on Name
* Add-on Version
* Detailed Description of your Issue
Donate: http://dlink.vtverdohleb.org.ua/Add-On/donate.php