• March 28, 2024, 06:39:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Auto Power On  (Read 11576 times)

fmenard123

• Level 1 Member
Auto Power On
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:25:20 PM »

Assuming that power loss occurs, and the DNS-323 goes to never never land, is there any way to set-it such as to turn back one automatically upon power being restored?

F.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Auto Power On
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:39:11 AM »

The DNS-323 needs to be powered on manually. This is to protect data in case of rolling blackouts type instances to keep the device from being powered off improperly many times.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 01:38:14 PM »

How about a wake on lan option so that people that store all there data on this device can turn it on remotely and get access to there data.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:49:05 PM »

Well now I know you can have your post deleted for simply disagreeing with a moderator - I can understand such reasons as offensive language, copyright violations, general flaming, spamming, trash talking, promoting a competitors product or similar unethical behaviour but for simply having a different opinion - man that is small minded.

I think it is a valid point of view so I'll post it again - forcing the user to power the unit on manually will not prevent it from being powered off improperly many times, in the case of rolling blackout type instances.  Most users don't have a clue when the next instance will roll around and so will power the unit on because they want to use it - the instance rolls around and BAM - the unit is shutdown improperly.

Some form of UPS monitoring could be used to prevent improper shutdowns when power outages occur and allowing the unit to power up automatically when the UPS comes back on would be nice - these are fairly standard options in todays PC market
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »

Well now I know you can have your post deleted for simply disagreeing with a moderator - I can understand such reasons as offensive language, copyright violations, general flaming, spamming, trash talking, promoting a competitors product or similar unethical behaviour but for simply having a different opinion - man that is small minded.

I think it is a valid point of view so I'll post it again - forcing the user to power the unit on manually will not prevent it from being powered off improperly many times, in the case of rolling blackout type instances.  Most users don't have a clue when the next instance will roll around and so will power the unit on because they want to use it - the instance rolls around and BAM - the unit is shutdown improperly.

Some form of UPS monitoring could be used to prevent improper shutdowns when power outages occur and allowing the unit to power up automatically when the UPS comes back on would be nice - these are fairly standard options in todays PC market

Well said, I agree

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »

you go fordem  :)

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 09:41:29 AM »

Fordem, I agree the user can simply turn the unit back on and the power can go off again. I was simply stating that if not attended and the power goes out over and over for a period of time the unit will not power on automatically to be shut down improperly over and over. I also agree UPS support would be ideal on a device like this and has been requested as an added feature for this device but currently it does not support UPS auto power down features.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »

Perhaps an option in the firmware to restart after a power failure and let the owner of the device decide whether or not to risk using it.

For me I would turn on restart after power failure option as I do a lot of work remotely and once the device is off thats it I have to return to the device to turn it on again.

Rodney

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »

Had a power outage yesterday morning, I was unable to access the DNS-323 for the rest of the day (what a big pain).

I'll have to copy all the information that I need to access to another device so that I'm not left in the lurch again and use the DNS-323 as a backup device.  ???

:'(

andrey

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »

I also would love to see an option to auto-restart after a power failure occurs. Currently, all my other devices on the network restart (including d-link routers), but not DNS-323. Can we make a suggestion of adding this feature to 1.05 firmware? Or is this a hardware limitation at this point since, if I'm not mistaken, DNS-323 doesn't support WOL.

-- Andrey

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 07:25:50 PM »

Auto Power On is not possible on the current hardware revisions of the DNS-323. It is a hardware limitation and can not be fixed in a firmware.

andrey

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 03:51:40 PM »

Auto Power On is not possible on the current hardware revisions of the DNS-323. It is a hardware limitation and can not be fixed in a firmware.

Well, there is kind of a way.. but it probably voids a warranty:
http://www.waggies.net/Ken/dns323/index.htm

Do you think auto-power on can be implemented in the next version of DNS-32x? I personally would buy another unit in a heartbeat once I know auto-power on/restart is there.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »

Voids the warranty is an understatement.  Interesting hack though.
non progredi est regredi