• March 28, 2024, 01:49:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Setting up a FTP Server on the DNS-323  (Read 7269 times)

PteJack

• Level 1 Member
Setting up a FTP Server on the DNS-323
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:33:56 PM »

I attempted to set up an anonymous FTP site through Windows7 IIS7 manager. What a flipping time that was.  I was getting 200 series connect messages followed by 500 series Errors. So I investigated the FTP protocols of the DNS-323. It was limited but very easy to setup.

I have a DLink DIR-825 router. Obtained a (free) DNS account through DLinkDDNS and set up the DNS-323.

Here's how I did it.

First I established a Folder (this become the root of the FTP Site) on one of the DNS drives. Then you build folders as requires inside that folder.

Open the configuration menu of the DNS and select Advanced then FTP Server

If you are going to limit access to users or groups check the user or group you want, if it is anonymous select All Accounts.  Point the FTP to the folder Root you just created and assign Read Only or Read/Write permissions.  You can secure your FTP to you SSL or TSL protocols in the next screen and assign whatever port you want the the FTP to listen to there as well.  I've noticed that most FTP clients broadcast on Port 21 for standard FTPs and on Port 22 for SFTPs (Secure).

Click apply and your finished with the DNS-323. It appears that the DNS-323 will only allow 1 directory to be added as a route, therefore you must add additional folders to the root assigned.  (Not sure if links to other folders in the root work outside the local network)

Now move to your router. And see next reply

PteJack

PteJack

• Level 1 Member
Re: Setting up a FTP Server on the DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:34:24 PM »

As I said, I have a DLink DIR-825, but most router Vitual Servers and port forwarding screens are the same,

Open the Router Setup Menu.

The tools you want are usually under the Advanced tab.

If you have a Virtual Server selection, this is where you will set up opening the FTP or Website server port. Port Forwarding is usually for passing port information for game servers (Like my TF2 Server)

Click Virtual Server

Using the application button select FTP and commit it. (most of the setup is done unless you use nonstandard port addresses.) Default is 21, You have to change the public and private ports to whatever you set up on the DNS-323.  Now select or enter the DNS-323 INTERNAL IP address. The one your router has assigned for your internal network and not your external IP address.
Protocol is usually just TCP.

You can Schedule your router to open and close the port at certain times or you can just leave it always open.

Click save changes and your done with your almost done with Router unless your are going to use a DNS service so people can find your FTP by typing in a Domain Name. 

To check if your FTP is active, first make sure the FTP service is started on the DNS-323, then open a WINDOWS Explorer session or a Internet Explorer session or a FTP Client.  In the address box type FTP://{your EXTERNAL IP Address}:{Port you put the FTP on} and hit enter and your standard FTP site should be accessible, for secure FTPs you need to log in with a password.

See Next reply for DNS Setup.

Pte Jack

PteJack

• Level 1 Member
Re: Setting up a FTP Server on the DNS-323
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »

Now If you don't already have a Domain Name (like ptejack.com) then there are DNS services out there that will allow you to tag onto one of theirs. One such service is offered by DLink and is available at www.dlinkddns.com

The web is massive and if you have what is known as a Dynamic IP address (one that changes as your provider sees fit or everytime you disconnect from your provider), it can be very hard to find your IP address to log into your FTP (or website).  The DLink DNS service let you create 1 domain Host name at no charge to make things easier for you.  The cost comes in the form of the name. Instead of being something short and cool, (like ptejack.com) you have to use their name, so the domain Host name you would use would be {whatever}.dlinkddns.com.  But you have to admit, it's easier than remembering something like 78.158.68.124 then 78.153.25.105 when the IP changes a week from now, and having to email friends and family with constant updates to your FTP.

The beautiful thing about using your Router Company's DNS Service is that they usually add a DNS Update utility to their router that will update the IP address on the DNS service as soon as the router sees that the external IP address has changed.

Now, to set this up, find a DNS provider and setup up your domain Host name on their website.
Once that is done, open your ROUTER's Setup Menu and find the tab called DNS or Dynamic DNS (Usually under the tools menu).  Set up the information then chech the enable button. If you've set it up correctly then the status should change to CONNECTED. If this doen not change to CONNECTED, then check your set up. If everything fails, the DNS provider usually has computer client software that will check the state of your external ip address and reports it to the DNS service.

To check if it has worked, open up a session of Windows or Internet Explorer or your FTP Client and type FTP://{your new DOMAINHostName.YOURDNS.Whateverextension} (like ftp://ptejack.dlinkddns.com) in the address bar and poof, there is your FTP site.   Your Done.  The same host name will work if you set up a website too. http://{your new DOMAINHostName.YOURDNS.Whateverextension} You just have to setup the virtual server for port 80 (and ensure your website server software is setup and is secure.)

Well there you have it, a fully functional FTP site visible on the WWW and a cool host name to find it by.

PteJack