• March 28, 2024, 04:09:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FIOS & DGL 4500  (Read 45166 times)

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
Re: FIOS & DGL 4500
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »

Got my new router.  Revision a2, firmware 1.12.....and still nothing.

Any chance it could possibly be the ONT?  Or some type of setting on their side when they changed me from Coax to Ethernet that they didn't change?  It just seems like it's a router setting because I can connect my PC directly to the ONT and get full speeds.  It's only with the DGL that this happens.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »

What I don't understand is that if you have TV, why switch to Ethernet?  Coax is what you SHOULD use.  You could have even set the AT in bridge mode, or move it behind the DGL-4500.

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 11:06:24 AM »

Why SHOULD I be using coax?  The reason I don't want to use the Actiontec Router first would be because plain and simple, the router sucks.  The Nat Table sucks, the options, port forwarding everything about it sucks.  I would have a lot more control of my network with my DGL.

EJeanmaire

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »

Any chance it could possibly be the ONT?  Or some type of setting on their side when they changed me from Coax to Ethernet that they didn't change?  It just seems like it's a router setting because I can connect my PC directly to the ONT and get full speeds.  It's only with the DGL that this happens.

Nevermind, confused your situation with the other person.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:25:16 AM by EJeanmaire »

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 06:28:33 AM »

Do the boxes have ethernet jacks?  If not, theres your answer.

Kind of confused what you mean by this?  What does Ethernet jacks on the STB Boxes have to do with it?  The STB boxes would still be connected by coaxial.  Just to clear up any confusion,  this is the setup I am trying to achieve.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15993

wired203

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »

Perhaps Multi Nat issues between the router and pc?

The person who spoke of bridge mode was something I actually did with my qwest dsl connection where I turned the actiontec into just a strait modem and then managed everything with the DGL which fixed some issues I had.

EJeanmaire

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »

Call Verizon and have them break the DHCP lease?

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 10:50:48 AM »

Call Verizon and have them break the DHCP lease?

Yep, done that.  Up to the point where I had them verify the IP address that my DGL had received.   Everything matched up.  Still nothing though.

Syaoran

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 12:01:09 PM »

Did you copy your modems MAC address to the router? 

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »

So far I've tried, setting the MTU to 1492 & 1500.  Copying the Mac Address, forcing the WAN port speed, turning off gamefuel, in all different combination's.  Releasing and renewing the lease with Verizon on the phone and the DGL connected & verifying my new IP address.  I've tried some other things that I can't think of off the top of my head.  It just doesn't want to work.  I was really hoping that it was something wrong with my original modem because it should work out the box.  From all my calls to Verizon I know that as long as the lease is released, I'm not mac bound.  Since I'm on DHCP my MTU should be 1500 which is the default on he DGL.  I had told them the reason that I wanted to change the router and they had told me they had received numerous calls because of the problems with the actiontec and that most of the time it should be a plug and play experience with a new router, specially something like the DGL 4500.  Now I'm back to step one and since Verizon won't really troubleshoot because it's not their router, I'm pretty much stuck.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:09:46 PM by jojorios »

wired203

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 08:28:57 AM »

Reconnect the actiontec and put it into bridged mode.  Then use the router.

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »

I was trying to find a faq to setup the bridge mode.  I'm not too familiar with this.  I found a few on DSLReports but they seem to be when the internet is coming in through the coax cable.  Does anyone have instructions on how to do it with the internet coming in through the ethernet?

d01100100

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »

If you have internet coming in via the ethernet, you don't need to setup bridge mode.  As long as you release the DHCP from the actiontec and either clone the MAC or sometimes the router will just work without changing it.  You only need to have the actiontec on the network if you're using FIOS TV for the guide or VOD.

Here's a link to the various configurations, including diagrams.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:58:32 AM by d01100100 »

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 02:35:45 PM »

If you have internet coming in via the ethernet, you don't need to setup bridge mode.  As long as you release the DHCP from the actiontec and either clone the MAC or sometimes the router will just work without changing it.  You only need to have the actiontec on the network if you're using FIOS TV for the guide or VOD.

Here's a link to the various configurations, including diagrams.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

Well I got FIOS and I wanted to replace the Actiontec Router that they gave me with my DGL-4500.  I have been reading DSL Reports forums and it shouldn't be a problem.  But for me, it's just not working.  I think I've narrowed it down to my DGL-4500.  This is the thread I had started on DSL Reports.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22678588-fiber-tech-Fios-Internet-3520TV-D-Link-DGL4500

When I connect my DGL to FIOS i get a new IP address.  I do get a connection to the internet but it's definetly not a good one.  When I ping yahoo.com and google.com i get 25-50% packet loss.  I'm running Firmware 1.15 and bought my DGL when it first came out.  Could it be possible there is a setting that I'm missing that I need to change to get it to work?  Or possibly I need to exchange my router?  Does revision A/B matter?

Thank you all in advance.

jojorios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 08:19:22 PM »

My friend let me borrow a D-Link WBR-1310 that he had lying around, so I connected it to the ONT directly, and what do you know I have full internet.  Put my DGL 4500 back on and 50-75% packet loss.  I think I'm just gonna buy a DIR-655 and pray to go that works, and use my DGL as a hub in another room. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3