• March 28, 2024, 06:02:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Button on side?  (Read 51801 times)

ScubaMedic

• Level 1 Member
Button on side?
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:02:39 AM »

What is the button on the right side for?  It looks to have a refresh symbol on it but I can't find any information in the manual about it.

Peaty

• Level 2 Member
Re: Button on side?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:57:04 AM »

OK it's not just me then.  I've been looking for the info but can't find anything either. Anyone?
Cheers,

Peaty

cheeze@sunflower.com

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »

It is the Push button for WPS (Wifi Protected Setup)
You can use it to connect WPS enabled devices with just one mouse click after pushing the button.

Peaty

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:36:46 PM »

Thanks, I'm not familiar with WPS I'll have to google it :)
Cheers,

Peaty

cheeze@sunflower.com

hellbringer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:47:01 PM »

WPS? Strange that there is a button 'Add Wireless device with WPS' in the webinterface then??
Why make 2 buttons, that I have yet to see actually work? (combined with a Canon MP620)
And why is there no mention in either the english nor the german documentation about this button?

The mysterious button on the DIR-825 has quite a bit of rumor's around it (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.)
It might be just a button that blinks the light that's under it for a minute or so and does absolutely nothing OR it could be a button that sends a log file to your mother with all the diry sites you visited. ;)
There is no way of telling what this button does without any clear documentation...

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:53:17 PM »

From the "Help" in the WEB GUI (DIR-855):

Add Wireless Station
This Wizard helps you add wireless devices to the wireless network.

The wizard will either display the wireless network settings to guide you through manual configuration, prompt you to enter the PIN for the device, or ask you to press the configuration button on the device. If the device supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup and has a configuration button, you can add it to the network by pressing the configuration button on the device and then the on the router within 60 seconds. The status LED on the router will flash three times if the device has been successfully added to the network.

There are several ways to add a wireless device to your network. Access to the wireless network is controlled by a “registrar”. A registrar only allows devices onto the wireless network if you have entered the PIN, or pressed a special Wi-Fi Protected Setup button on the device. The router acts as a registrar for the network, although other devices may act as a registrar as well.

All newer D-Link routers have this button.