• March 28, 2024, 11:23:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-932L - Out Of Focus  (Read 24162 times)

m021478

• Level 1 Member
DCS-932L - Out Of Focus
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:51:07 AM »

Anyone have any idea why my brand new DCS-932L Dlink webcam appears excessively out of focus?

Here is a screenshot:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DCS-932L - Out Of Focus
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:35:26 AM »

From my experience, the DCS-932L maintains focus for objects up to approximately 6 feet from the camera, while more distant objects are blurry. The DCS-932L has a fixed focal point or sweet spot where objects are in focus. Objects either too close or too far will appear blurry.

The DCS-932L has a fixed lens with a fixed focal point, unlike more expensive cameras with a manual or auto focus setting. IMHO - the lack of an adjustable lens is likely one of the key factors keeping the DCS-932L at a low price point.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:43:31 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

mrsr71

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:35:08 AM »

Go into the camera settings and adjust the resolution and image quality to the highest settings. It worked for me (DCS-930L)  ;D

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:42:07 AM »

Go into the camera settings and adjust the resolution and image quality to the highest settings. It worked for me (DCS-930L)  ;D

Focus and resolution are two independent factors.  Maximizing the resolution and image quality settings increases the level of detail for near and distant objects (improving clarity), but doesn't improve focus.

mrsr71

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:47:08 AM »

Focus and resolution are two independent factors.  Maximizing the resolution and image quality settings increases the level of detail for near and distant objects (improving clarity), but doesn't improve focus.

Clarity = focus in my mind. It made a world of difference. I was going to send the camera back but now is very acceptable for the price I paid. As a matter of fact, I just ordered the DCS-932L  ;D

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »

Clarity = focus

Improving the resolution increases the level of detail available to the human eye, but has no impact on the focus of that detail.  The improved picture quality is real, but the focus remains constant.

As a matter of fact, I just ordered the DCS-932L

If you are happy with the DCS-930L, you should definitely like the DCS-932L. The night vision works flawlessly. The only issue is a crackling in the audio experienced by many users (not sure if this issue carries back to the DCS-930L as well). Audio is audible, but the crackling seems to be a nuisance for some users.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:02:22 AM by JavaLawyer »

m021478

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »

Go into the camera settings and adjust the resolution and image quality to the highest settings. It worked for me (DCS-930L)  ;D

This worked for me!

The mydlink.com web viewer (and the native Mac app I am using) display the camera's picture in a 640x480 window, but the camera's default settings have it configured to capture at 320x240.

When I changed the camera's settings to capture at 640x480, both viewers (Mac & mydlink.com) no longer had to up-res the image to fit a 640x480 window, and as such the 'focus' (or clarity or sharpness or whatever you want to call it) improved considerably.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »

I'm glad everything worked out (sharpness, resolution, clarity. . . and all)  :)