• April 26, 2024, 08:06:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: dir-655 as an Access Point ARGH! Help please!  (Read 6463 times)

Jaybo700R

dir-655 as an Access Point ARGH! Help please!
« on: September 08, 2007, 07:48:21 PM »

OK, I have been messing with this for the past few hours and I am pulling out what little hair I have left! 

Here is a map:

Wireless ISP      300' line of site                wired house network- no wireless clients
     and ---------------------------------------------->     #2 DIR-655
#1 DIR 655                                         used as an access point to #1 655
192.168.1.1                                              192.168.1.2

OK, on the #2 655 I turned off the DHCP server, enabled WPA2 set it with the pass phrase as on the #1 655

The DHCP on #1 is set to .100 to .250.

Questions:
What should the settings be for my ISP, default gateway, etc be?
should the SSID of both 655's be the same? (they currently are)

I can connect to the #1 655 with my wireless laptop, but when I turn on the #2 655 I lose connection to the net and the #1 655 turns into an unidentified network with no Internet connection. I don't need the #2 655 as a access point  for wireless clients as my home is wired and prefer to keep it that way. only reason I am using my laptop was to set up the # 1 router while I get #2 working via the wired network and my desktop PC. 

I must be missing something here in the settings, and I am still looking around on the net and there is a fair amount of info about making a router an access point but nothing I can find so far specific to the dir-655. This should not be this hard!

Thanks for any help! 

..Jay

Jaybo700R

Re: dir-655 as an Access Point ARGH! Help please!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 08:13:43 AM »

OK, I got a reply on another forum that said that N class routers will not talk to each other wirelessly.  that it requires WDS?  Please don't tell me this....   

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 01:37:49 PM »

Wireless access points never connect to each other wirelessly without the help of WDS or similar bridging modes.  No applicable modes are available on the DIR-655.

You will need to run a wire to that bad boy if you want to have that area online.  Your only alternative to that would be to have some other sort of wireless bridge connected between the 2 DIR-655s.  Before you can even ask D-Link does not produce any N wireless bridges yet, there is one due out soon however I couldn't tell you when.
non progredi est regredi

fredibau

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »

Wireless access points never connect to each other wirelessly without the help of WDS or similar bridging modes.  No applicable modes are available on the DIR-655.

You will need to run a wire to that bad boy if you want to have that area online.  Your only alternative to that would be to have some other sort of wireless bridge connected between the 2 DIR-655s.  Before you can even ask D-Link does not produce any N wireless bridges yet, there is one due out soon however I couldn't tell you when.

I hope to se som WDS funktion on DIR-655
 :-\