• April 19, 2024, 10:52:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 questions  (Read 5066 times)

Jaybo700R

DIR-655 questions
« on: September 05, 2007, 01:48:31 PM »

OK, trying to get a Linksys WAP4400N access point to connect to the 655 and not having any luck. Not sure if it is the Linksys or the 655 with the issue but the Linksys shows wireless traffic from the 655, but is not connected according to the 655.  I can connect to the router with other wireless clients and the Linksys shows up as being in the wireless networks available.

I need the access point to go with the rest of my network of 6 computers and the router is at another location that has the connection to my WISP.

Now if the DIR655 can be configured as an access point, that would be MOST cool.  I see no options for it however.  I was going to go with the Buffalo N router, as it can be configured as a AP but the wired plugs do not support gigabit connectivity, so I am back to square one. 

ANyone have some feedback or suggestions or can tell me how to configure the 655 to be an AP that would be awesome...   ;D

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
Re: DIR-655 questions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 09:54:38 AM »

...The DIR-655 is an access point AND a router at the same time.

Make sure you are using WPA2 Only if you are using it with N client
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

Jaybo700R

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 10:06:15 AM »

OK, so from what I have read if I disable the DHCP server on the 2nd one, the first one will still give DHCP to the rest of the network behind the 2nd 655?  Basically I have to use wireless to get my WAN to my home network, as my net connection is in a building about 3-400' away.

What I am wanting to know is if there is any actual step by step instructions for making the 655 just an access point and will allow the first remote 655 to act as the router and give DHCP addresses.

Another thing I wondered was if giving all my network clients their own internal IP and not using DHCP, if that would be more helpful?

At this point I am going to the electronics store and picking up a second 655 and start working on it this weekend - so if anyone ;D has some more input I would be most grateful :)

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:49:59 AM »

yes shut off DHCP on the 2nd Router

and Static IP addresses on clients is always a good idea
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

laltj

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 08:52:56 AM »

OK, so from what I have read if I disable the DHCP server on the 2nd one, the first one will still give DHCP to the rest of the network behind the 2nd 655?  Basically I have to use wireless to get my WAN to my home network, as my net connection is in a building about 3-400' away.

What I am wanting to know is if there is any actual step by step instructions for making the 655 just an access point and will allow the first remote 655 to act as the router and give DHCP addresses.

Another thing I wondered was if giving all my network clients their own internal IP and not using DHCP, if that would be more helpful?

At this point I am going to the electronics store and picking up a second 655 and start working on it this weekend - so if anyone ;D has some more input I would be most grateful :)

Make sure to change LAN IP of the second DIR 655 to 192.168.0.2 (assuming 1st DIR 655 has a LAN IP: 192.168.0.1) and then disabling the DHCP and then connecting LAN to LAN on both routers. hope this helps.