• March 29, 2024, 06:45:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR 855 stops routing but all status shows fine  (Read 17774 times)

ItsGr8

• Level 1 Member
DIR 855 stops routing but all status shows fine
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:02:46 AM »

Been using my DLINK 855 for years. Fantastic product. Now suddenly it stopped routing.
My Ipad and PCs suggests the connection between router and adsl modem is not functioning. When i connect to the wifi network from Ipad a dlink error page shows stating there is no internet connection possible.

Over wifi as well as over direct line connection I can access dlink firmware provided website. all status information suggests everything works well. There is a gateway server and dns assigned. WAN is shown as connected. Absolutely no error vissible anywhere.. When I ping the gateway server listed and the ispprovided dns.. than I do not get through. All packets are lost.

when I connect direct to the cable modem (a cisco device) than everything works... also status page on that device does show any problem.
When I ping the gateway ip and the ISP dns over this connection to the cable modem than i get responses..
It suggests my dlink does not function right.. but what can be wrong ?

I am not able to pinpoint it... already disconnected my DLINK from all cables and power for hours... after reboot I got it working normal again once for about 60 minutes and then it again stopped working.
dir 855
sticker on device states hardware  v A3
firmware v 1.23 EU
When i login to dlinnk router it states HW A2 firmware 1.23 EU

hope you can provide some suggestions
-- lennard

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR 855 stops routing but all status shows fine
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:35:33 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
FW Update Process
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.
  • If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Also check the routers DHCP IP address maybe conflicting with the ISP modems IP address of 192.168.0.1. Check to see if this is the same on the ISP modem, and if modem can't be bridged, change the DIR router to 192.168.1.1 or .0.254.
    Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on Router

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ItsGr8

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »

hi
thank you for the outline. Herewith the response , findings, considerations
my main concern is... nothing was touched - changed.. what happened is the question... how to pinpoint why the router stops routing.

What region are you located?   West Europe - he Netherlands
Are you wired or wireless connected to the router? Both. same problem on wired and wireless
Has a Factory Reset been performed? Not yet. Did not touch the router nor modem for many weeks.
Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
FW Update Process No firmware updates have been applied. latest firmware was onboard at time of purchase
Was the router working before any firmware updates? YES... never applied firmware update

What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have? Cable modem. Cisco EPC3212. Been working fine
Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing? seems to be dynamic
What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have? measured on modem Down 105 Mbps Up 6 Mbps
Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended. Done. not an issue
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values  NOT yet done
For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled. Always on indeed
If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: According to ISP UPC it is bridged already Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Also check the routers DHCP IP address maybe conflicting with the ISP modems IP address of 192.168.0.1. Check to see if this is the same on the ISP modem, and if modem can't be bridged, change the DIR router to 192.168.1.1 or .0.254.
My modem logon status page is reachabble on http://192.168.100.1 so this is supicious if this means it is not bridged... and my dlink operates on 192.168.0.1 /
Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on Router

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »

If this happens on both wired and wireless, I'd look more up stream at the ISP modem. Check to make sure if the modem is actually bridge or not. Usually if modems are bridged, you can't access the modems web page.

Ensure that when this happens, ask the ISP to review there logs during this time frame. If the router looses the connection sometimes means the modem has lost the connection too or something in between.

If anything, log in to the 855, save the routers config to file first, then do a factory reset, set it up from scratch and run a few tests. Power cycle the modem as well when you do this.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ItsGr8

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 02:55:00 AM »

Meanwhile it is clear that the ISP provided cisco modem is in bridge mode.
it apears to work fine. When I connect a pc direct to the modem, all works well
Have done a factory reset on the cisco modem (long press on button on back).. which made no difference
Have also now doen factory reset on the dlink855.. completely set+up the router again manually.
problem still the same, but new clue obtained. The router is not coming online to the WAN anymore. I can see it has DNS information but it does not have an IP nor gateway assigned.
When i disconnect the router from the modem, and connect the cable to the PC i now use.. i do get a IP etc assigned.
suggests to me that the router is not functioning well. the logs are not detailed enough to give more insight if the router is malfunctioning. wondering what I can do next...

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:51:31 AM »

If you still have access to the routers web page, I recommend doing the following, Factory reset update FW using IE or FF with out any browser add-ons, disable pc security temporarily, factory reset once more then set up again from scratch.
Please follow this:
FW Update Process

It's an extreme suggestion, however it would be a good test if you could take this router to a different location, say a friend, neighbor or family to see if it works with a different modem at a different location. I'm wondering if there is a problem either with the router or something between the modem and router.

Let us know how reload of FW goes...

ItsGr8

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »

Like you, i believe the router and the modem stopped playing nice together. My ISP considers it my problem as their modem behaves and when I use a PC directly connected to their modem.. i have no issues.
This router-modem setup worked fine untouched for years.. so something changed somewhere I think it is the modem behavior.. but have no way to prove it. the modem is locked by ISP so no detail log access. andon my dlink 855 i see symptoms but can not see anything either in detail logs.

The suggestion for firmware change and factory reset might do the trick.. but it is going to be time consuming. As we have no firm indication what is causinfg this failure.. am a bit hesitant to execute this path right now.  Is there no other way to access the low level logging on the IP/WAN configuration in the router ? I wish to find a clue that this would indeed be valuable effort.
Right now, i need to find a way to restore connectivity in the house. Probably wil have to purchase a replacement router.

Then i will try this router out somewhere else with a friend before I try the firmware reset suggestions.
Thank you for the advice thusfar.. and i will be back to share insight later for the potential benefit of others in the future.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 08:47:53 AM »

I'm also wondering if there was a FW update on the ISP modem that may have done something. This had been working up to some point.  ???

Let us know how it goes at a friends place.

I suggest doing the reset, reload FW, reset once again and test from scratch. You can save the currents routers configuration to file before starting this.

You can set up the logging for all options then do a reboot on the router. When it's ready review the log to see if you notice anything. Can collect the log file for review if you want me to look at it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:56:50 AM by FurryNutz »

Carlh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 09:07:14 AM »

Well, interestingly enough,the exact same thing happened to me yesterday.  I was upstairs with my sons and we were all online and all of a sudden, all of our links went down.  We proceeded with the standard: power cycle the router, then power cycle BOTH the modem and router/etc.

We have ComCast and are in New Hampshire.  If we plug any computer directly into the modem it works.

The router appears to be working.  It is able to get an IP address and the gateway, and primary/secondary dns servers, however, there is no  IP connectivity.  I am able to ping the external interface of the router, but I cannot ping the gateway machine (which is Comcast).

Interesting to note:  When I plug in the laptop directly to the modem, I actually get a DIFFERENT gateway than the router does.  I don't think this should be happening.  About 2.5 hours on the line with Comcast, after 4 hangups (they never called back when they said they would/etc), I finally got someone to work through it, but, the bottom line for them is that Comcast (like Lennard's ISP) said that since a computer plugged into the modem works, it's not their problem.

Other things I tried: Power Cycling Router, Reset to factory default (same results exactly), Reloaded configuration from saved file (same results exactly).

Nothing appeared to work with this router.  Always we can ping the external interface of the router but not the gateway IP.

I just happen to have a NetGear N600 on hand.  That plugged in and worked.  It's a bit strange setting up this router so it's not fully configured, but internet connectivity has been restored.

So, it's either:
1) The 855 is dead for some reason
2) Some type of protocol instability occurred due to a firmware push on Comcast's part.

Not sure else to think.

Oh, I believe I'm at V1.23 FW - never did a fw upgrade.  I might try this if I can find and download the new firmware.
Cat6 cable is used - a NEW cable.
MTU = 1500

Again - this was from a WORKING SYSTEM that had been up and working for at least 3 years (yes, with the occasional router reboot).

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?

• What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router. Besure to log into the Admin account on the router.

• Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable or Disable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) and test under Setup/Internet/Manual. Disable may help with speed performance on higher speed ISP services.
  • Turn on DNS Relay  under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only under Setup/IPv6.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. The DST setting is only needed in the NA region. Tools/Time.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.

If you update FW, Please follow this process:
FW Update Process

Well, interestingly enough,the exact same thing happened to me yesterday.  I was upstairs with my sons and we were all online and all of a sudden, all of our links went down.  We proceeded with the standard: power cycle the router, then power cycle BOTH the modem and router/etc.

We have ComCast and are in New Hampshire.  If we plug any computer directly into the modem it works.

The router appears to be working.  It is able to get an IP address and the gateway, and primary/secondary dns servers, however, there is no  IP connectivity.  I am able to ping the external interface of the router, but I cannot ping the gateway machine (which is Comcast).

Interesting to note:  When I plug in the laptop directly to the modem, I actually get a DIFFERENT gateway than the router does.  I don't think this should be happening.  About 2.5 hours on the line with Comcast, after 4 hangups (they never called back when they said they would/etc), I finally got someone to work through it, but, the bottom line for them is that Comcast (like Lennard's ISP) said that since a computer plugged into the modem works, it's not their problem.

Other things I tried: Power Cycling Router, Reset to factory default (same results exactly), Reloaded configuration from saved file (same results exactly).

Nothing appeared to work with this router.  Always we can ping the external interface of the router but not the gateway IP.

I just happen to have a NetGear N600 on hand.  That plugged in and worked.  It's a bit strange setting up this router so it's not fully configured, but internet connectivity has been restored.

So, it's either:
1) The 855 is dead for some reason
2) Some type of protocol instability occurred due to a firmware push on Comcast's part.

Not sure else to think.

Oh, I believe I'm at V1.23 FW - never did a fw upgrade.  I might try this if I can find and download the new firmware.
Cat6 cable is used - a NEW cable.
MTU = 1500

Again - this was from a WORKING SYSTEM that had been up and working for at least 3 years (yes, with the occasional router reboot).