• April 18, 2024, 11:25:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: regular drop connection  (Read 5680 times)

Sintetik

regular drop connection
« on: April 07, 2008, 01:36:33 AM »

I have such issue with my DNS-323
when i try transfer large file >1G by Windows explorer (copy to or from device doesn't matter),
I never finish it - connection dropped, after little delay 5-20sec, I can access to shared drive.

Any torrents tool doesn't work with files on DNS-323 - after 5-10min it looses connection to files.
I can transfer files only over FTP tools with function "auto resume file transfer"

when I look at network workload in system task manager during file transfer I see graph
transfer-lost connection-restore-connectio-resume transfer

/--------\      /---------\
  |        |      |         |
---         -------          -----

firmware 1.04
one HDD Samsung 750Gb
direct connect to my laptop by crossover cable or over D-link gigabit switch 8port - issue the same
static IP on DNS and laptop
all servers exclude FTP switched off on DNS
power management switched off

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: regular drop connection
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 05:37:57 AM »

It's not impossible for the DNS-323 to be the problem, but in my opinion it's unlikely, I've done numerous > 1GB files both to/from mine, I think the largest was around 70GB or thereabouts.

The first area I would look at is the network - and in this case since you have reduced it to just a single cross-over cable - try changing that cable for a known good CAT6 one - it doesn't have to be a cross-over cable - gigabit ports can sense and automatically handle the cross-over function.

You could also try a different computer - NIC drivers can cause this sort of problem, as can defective NICs and even the physical RJ-45 port itself

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Sintetik

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:03:12 AM »

cables are well, there arn't any problems in network or net devices

problem fixed

I changed IP DNS-323 and my laptops from 10.x.x.x class A to 192.168.x.x class C
no drop connection any more

I think this is BUG of DNS-323 firmware - it isn't support big subnetworks

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:52:27 AM »

Somehow - I don't think that was the cause - I will reconfigure mine for a class a subnet and try it.

You see - for the most part, ip addresses are not used in LAN communications - the originating host compares the destination ip address to it's own ip address and subnet mask to determine whether the host is local or not - if the host is local, it will then arp to get the destination MAC address and from that point onward, all further communication will be done using MAC addresses - tcp/ip plays a minor role in establishing the original link, but very little part in the actual file transfer.

By the way - the DNS-323 - is not required to go through these steps in normal operation, since in most cases, it is the destination host, and it knows what MAC address to respond to, because that information was in the data packet that it is responding to.

No - I doubt that the ip address and or subnet mask is the cause of your problem - but like I say, I'll try to duplicate it.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:44:39 PM »

Ever willing to test a theory ;)

Platform - DNS-323, firmware 1.04, 2x250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 disks in a RAID1 configuration - ip address 10.0.0.1, subnet mask 255.0.0.0 - Dell Inspiron i600m, 1.6 GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB disk, gigabit ethernet - ip address 10.0.0.2, subnet mask 255.0.0.0 - connected via gigabit ports on a NetGear FS728TS (sorry - I don't have a D-Link switch, but thems the breaks :))

Copying a gigabit file from the DNS-323 file takes just about 65 seconds, network monitor shows throughput at a consistent perhaps 13%, copying to the DNS-323 takes about 75 seconds, network monitor shows perhaps 11.5 maybe 12% - 120~130 mbps - a tad on the slow side, I can probably do better if I switched the laptop and used my IBM xSeries server, but that would mean taking the server off line, something that I'm not as willing to do - but based on previous tests, I'd expect 160~170 mbps.

Unfortunately I didn't have anything larger than 1GB on the system - so I tried a copy with 4x1GB files - it ran through flawlessly, so I'm pretty certain a >1GB file would transfer the same way - if you want me to create a >1GB file for test - do let me know.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »

I have 4.3 gig ISO files on my DNS-323 connected with a LinkSys gig switch and my IP addresses are in the 10.x.x.x with subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

I have not had a problem with dropouts or the like, in fact it all works from my two wired computers and my two wireless computers, I mount the ISO's and watch the movie from network share to all the computers, all is fine.

I either copy or create the ISO's directly onto the DNS-323.

Rodney