• March 29, 2024, 03:02:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: constant disconnection  (Read 22591 times)

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
Re: constant disconnection
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 09:56:24 AM »

Sounds like the big bad internet is out to get you cs120.  I am going to assume the remote hosts wasn't one you were waiting on traffic from.  That is exactly why we have SPI firewalls.  Sounds like someone is randomly scanning you looking for a vulnerability.  Mayhaps if we look towards the black hats out there someone may have found one.  One of the D-Linker admins should take note of this and look and see if there might not be a report out there.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.

naughticl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »

On the phone with D-Link support (Canada) today, they suggested trying 2 things:

* change MTU from 1500 to 1472

* set WAN speed to 10 Mbs rather than Auto

Neither of these changes resulted in any improvement in the situation.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 02:43:03 PM »

try disabling the wireless, see if the dropping stops.

aglio

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 03:10:22 PM »

try disabling the wireless, see if the dropping stops.

if i plug into any of the network drops in my house, there is no issue

only wireless

only windows

ddwinell

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 11:50:04 AM »

What is your wireless client?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 12:07:14 PM »

If you are getting disconnected wireless, check your wireless channel. Also check the environment, look for things like 2.4Ghz cordless phones.
Also what type of wireless client are you using and what encryption?

naughticl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 03:16:45 PM »

Anyone making any progress on this? My 655 is disconnecting like clockwork every 30 minutes. Multiple calls to tech support are getting me nowhere. Haven't got anything wireless running, just a couple machines on the wired side, as well as a Vonage box.

Any more ideas?

<<<EDIT>>>

Solved. Hardware exchanged for a fresh one. D-Link Tech Support tried many possible tweaks and finally gave up and replaced it. New unit with 1.05 is doing great. Direct wired to 2 PCs for gig and one to Vonage box.  The last port goes to a 100 Mb/s switch for other machines and non-PCs. Connection is solid now.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:55:50 PM by naughticl »

aglio

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »

Anyone making any progress on this? My 655 is disconnecting like clockwork every 30 minutes. Multiple calls to tech support are getting me nowhere. Haven't got anything wireless running, just a couple machines on the wired side, as well as a Vonage box.

Any more ideas?

be happy you're getting 30 minutes

thinking it might be time to scrap it now that airport extreme has gigabit

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 03:30:15 PM »

be happy you're getting 30 minutes

thinking it might be time to scrap it now that airport extreme has gigabit

Are you using a D-Link 802.11 N card?  My DWA-552 Kicks the (&^%* out of any Apple Card

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

aglio

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »

nah just whatever internal card is in my work laptop and the airport extreme cards in my apples.

dogma

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 08:36:18 AM »

I think it's bugs in firmware 1.03 and 1.04.  I started with 1.03 and had very fast disconnects.  Then I switched to 1.02 and never had a problem for a few months now.  Recently I tried 1.04 and got disconnects after about 10 minutes.

When you downgrade to 1.02, you might have to do hard resets a couple of times.

I don't think heat is an issue.

lmrtz

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 02:03:12 PM »

Solved this problem by upgrading drivers for DWA-552. Explanation follows.

I've set up 2 of the 655's. For the first one, I did *not* upgrade the firmware of the router. It came from factory set at A.1 / 1.02. No problems getting clients online which include 2 desktops both using DWA-552, laptop using pre-installed wireless, 2 T-mobile hotspot phones, 2 PSP's, etc. This router has been up and running for about 10 days with no issues.

Then set up the 2nd router (different location, of course) and decided to flash the 655 to 1.05 first. Worked well for less than a day and then connection kept dropping. Router status showed that router could not stay connected to internet for more than an hour before it restarted itself. Exhausted every possibility I could think of and then returned the hardware for a new one.

I still believe first unit was defective. Got better results with the 2nd one, but could not overcome the issue of clients losing connection to router. On this router, clients are 1 desktop with DWA-552, laptop with DWA-652, Hotspot phone, WING cellphone. None of the clients could hold the signal.

Finally, updated the driver on the DWA-552 (desktop adapter). Rebooted the computer. The entire network 'settled down.' Every client gets and keeps the connection. If I turn off the laptop or the WING, they re-establish internet connection as soon as they are turned back on. Router has had steady internet connection for days.

My conclusion is that the driver that ships with the DWA-552 will work with firmware version 1.02 on the DIR-655 router (maybe 1.03 & 1.04 ... didn't try those). If updated to firmware version 1.05, DWA-552 must also have driver updated otherwise it causes 'wi-fi havoc'. Interestingly, I did not have to update the driver for the DWA-652 notebook adapter.

mv620

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 02:52:31 PM »

Glad it worked out for you, but that hasn't been my experience.

I started out with two DWA-652s (notebook adapters) and a DIR-655 (firmware 1.02). No problems, except I had to set it in hybrid mode (there was no choice for draft-N only).

No desktop adapters.

Updated the firmware to get the N-only feature and all of a sudden I'm getting the constant disconnects.

The router itself crashes during the disconnect, as shown in the log. It has nothing to do with my cable connection because I cannot see other machines on the LAN.

Julian Maytum

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »

Hopefully dlink will figure it out soon.. I went back to 1.02 again as I was constantly getting disconnected from my ISP with 1.05.

Hopefully they read these forums.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 10:37:56 AM »

The last I had heard of your problem Julian in another thread your ISP had fixed something on their side and you were reporting an "all fine after 24 hrs.".  Looking at your post history I can see I didn't miss anything stating you were having the problem again.  If you don't come back and tell us your still having the problem in that thread what can we assume, but that the problem was fixed.

Perhaps even more important is the fact that unless I misread something somewhere we are talking about 2 entirely different problems.  blairb666 is reporting wireless connections drops and Julian is reporting WAN connection drops.  These are 2 entirely different problems with 2 entirely different sets of possible causes and troubleshooting steps.

This is not a matter of "acknowledging problems" or of bad firmware.  The experiences of users above and other users point to not having your problems and I have confidence that if we all work together instead of trying to fling mud underhandedly then we might all be able to help each other.  This thread is a wonderful example of many people with seemingly similar issues and completely different causes.

As examples (both come from recent posts in this thread):
lmrtz fixing the problem via drivers for his wireless card.
naughticl had bad hardware which he called in with and we were able to replace his router to fix the problem.

In the future I advise that you will get the most out of the forums if you create a new thread with your problem and include as much information as possible, you can never have to much information available.  This helps prevent seemingly similar problems from having the same name and solution applied.  Finding a thread like this and jumping in with a "me too" without a lot more background only muddles the original call for assistance.

The corollary to this is that when you have an applicable step for another to try, don't be bashful just jump in and give suggestions.  And when another attempts to help you, kindly attempt what they request (or else whats the point of asking), or explain why that is not relevant or has already been tried (to what effect).

This is a place to come together so we can ALL help each other, if you are just looking for a place to vent your frustrations then perhaps this isn't the place.  By no means however mistake that this is an attempt to have all of you seen by a D-Link Technician, that is not the point, the point is we can all discuss our problems and theories and in the end help each other.  The D-Link staff, while certainly here to help, are not here to take names and numbers but rather to nudge people in the right direction.  If you need assistance with your product in the immediate term or believe yourself to have defective product then by all means call our 24 hour line, these are 2 different paths to assistance and should not be confused as being synonymous.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 04:44:45 PM by We Are Many »
non progredi est regredi
Pages: 1 [2]