• April 18, 2024, 02:50:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How can they sell "wireless" cameras with no way to setup wi-fi?  (Read 6240 times)

stevec50

• Level 1 Member

The DCS-930L, which is supposed to be able to work over 802.11N doesn't have any way to configure the Wi-Fi's IP address or even see what it is!  Isn't that consumer fraud?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: How can they sell "wireless" cameras with no way to setup wi-fi?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:35:21 AM »

Adding more detail to RYAT's reply, log into your router web UI using a browser on a PC located in the same LAN as your router and DCS-930L. The router user interface should have a page listing the IP address of all devices currently connected to the router along with the device MAC address, and in some cases, the product name, if it's broadcast by the device.

Please post back if you have any issues identifying your DCS-930L IP address.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:17:27 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

stevec50

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:18:01 AM »

You're kidding me, right?
No.
 Actually consumer not knowing how to use his router.
Before we get anymore smart**s remarks from the peanut gallery I'd like to point out that I'm using a Linksys WRT160n and it doesn't list who is connected.  I checked the DHCP Client Log but it's not in there.  Since there's no way to check the IP address or set it I have no idea if it's even using DHCP. It might have a default address that's on a completely different subnet for all I know.  Maybe I could install DD-WRT on the router to check it but I shouldn't have to do that and there's no way for the average person at home trying to use the camera to do it.  D-Link should have provided some settings for the Wi-Fi besides just the channel no. and SSID!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »

I just scanned through the WRT160N user manual for your router. You need to reference the "DHCP Client Table". Here's an excerpt from the user manual:

DMZ > DHCP Client Table

The DHCP Client Table lists computers and other devices that have been assigned IP addresses by the
Router. The list can be sorted by Client Name, Interface, IP Address, MAC Address, and Expired Time (how much time is left for the current IP address).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:41:29 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

stevec50

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »

It does say that but it's not true.  There is nothing under DMZ except buttons for Enabled or Disabled. I finally found the DHCP Client Table under Status, Local Network, DHCP Server but it only shows the Ethernet address for the camera, not Wi-Fi.

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »

That router has WPS, and the cameras set up very easily using that.
RTFM: <url>http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=17336</url>

And, by the way, the camera IP address is the *same* whether connected via wireless or wired.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:17:13 PM by acellier »

stevec50

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 08:36:22 AM »

WPS, where have you been hiding that you don't know anything about security?  Also, wired and wireless CANNOT have the same IP address for 2 different connections!  Is that why it doesn't work, because D-Link engineers don't know how IP addressing works?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:05:24 AM »

WPS, where have you been hiding that you don't know anything about security?  Also, wired and wireless CANNOT have the same IP address for 2 different connections!  Is that why it doesn't work, because D-Link engineers don't know how IP addressing works?

We have no problems.  You seem to be an expert though.

Did you even follow the instructions in the manual on how to setup the camera? If yours is missing they are available at the dlink site for download in pdf format.

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:52:39 AM »

WPS, where have you been hiding that you don't know anything about security?  

Who was complaining about " smart**s remarks from the peanut gallery"? You can't even find the DHCP client list on your router. FWIW, I spelled out the steps you need to take in another thread you started about the same problem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:54:40 AM by Notworried »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »

Post was removed. Lets move along now and keep on topic. No need to dredge up the past.

Thank you.

Who was complaining about " smart**s remarks from the peanut gallery"?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.