• March 28, 2024, 08:44:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Active directory support  (Read 39787 times)

stock

• Level 1 Member
Re: Active directory support
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »

Has anyone the 1.04 beta, or can help in in the AD Case?
Need it very urgently!

Kinds regards
Malte

stdio

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »

Has anyone tried the ADS in new 1.04 beta fw ?

tailslide

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 10:22:02 PM »

I've seen some postings on other sites saying someone got the 1.04 firmware and it helped him with his ADS issues, can someone please send it to me?

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 11:06:56 PM »

Send me a PM on the boards with your email if you want to try beta 1.04.

Dwaynem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 12:21:10 PM »

I'm really reluctant to try the AD support again, as I have a whole department working from this DNS 343.  Problem is, with SMB user/groups I have continual problems with users creating folders that no one else can access.  No way to reset permissions to what they should be? 
My setup is matched user accounts/passwords for all the graphics department, through a single share, giving all users R/W.  Still there are folders that get created Read only for all but the owner/creator!

Please Dlink engineers, let's have a way to control these permissions!

Dwayne Matthews
I.T. Director
Nood Furniture and Design Ltd

Jacques Amar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »

Send me a PM on the boards with your email if you want to try beta 1.04.

I have a question before I try a beta:

If I take off my current RAID with 1.03fw, install new drives and beta 1.04fw, decide I want to go back to 1.03fw and my old data, will this work? or will my old RAID and data be lost?

I don't want to beta with real important data, but have enough hard drives to experiment with a new set of drives and see if the AD issues is truely resolved with Win2K8R2

Dwaynem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »

Ok, so I had to do a work around as there was too much disruption to the workflow in the graphics/web department....
So I
1. setup my FTP client and saved logins matching ALL the teams user accounts and passwords to login to the DNS 343
2. I can use Windows explorer to browse a folder that someone's created and everyone else is either read only or no access at all... choose properties of the folder, security tab, and I can at least SEE who is the owner, even though I can't take ownership or change or access thecontents....
3. Now I use the FTP client to login as the "owner" of the folder in question, and view the properties of that folder... where I can change the properties to allow EVERYONE to read and write (777)!

Now everyone in my department can work on the files/folders.  I have sent a procedural email to all parties, to email me whenever they find a folder they can't access, then I will set the permissions.

NOw, all you network administrators out there...  Isn't this RIDICULOUS!   A product released on the market advertising Active Directory support, and this is what we have to do to keep USING IT!!!!!

I for one am not impressed with this company's level of professionalism in the marketplace.  Where's the leadership, quality assurance, etc?

Dwayne Matthews
I.T. Director

access

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »

Dwayne

Can't agree more
Although as the starter to this thread. they have reacted quite quickly for me in the release of version 1.04 firware.

So FTP in does allow the saving of permissions changes....
I tried in the normal way as the owner creator of folders to change permissions but it refuses to stick and reverts back to the creator as the only write read priveledge...

Interesting if the FTP module is correctly allowing permissions to be set. Or is it just allowing full read write priveldges - bypassing AD completely...

BTW.... I will be returnming my unit as its jut too unstable to trust with my companies and users data...

Hope FW 1.04 corrects the issue for all others that dont have the Return option.

IT Manager
Access

Dwaynem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 07:49:23 PM »

Yes, 'access', actually, the FTP program I am using is SmartFTP, and I am only really getting by on "fully opening" permissions to '777'.  EVen though I can use windows exporer and view the permissions in the security tab before I use the FTP program, AFTER I change to full access, I can't view any permissions, even though everyone can then access the folder. 
Essentially, this is a very 'temporary' way to make is work.  I wish I had the luxury of packing it up and buying a new NAS, something higher quality and proven, but the reason I bought this DNS343, is because is met a very tight budget.  The proven network solutions seemed much more costly.

access

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »

Must admit based mine purchase on the simple line supports AD....

Hmmmmmm next time I think more homework (look in  afew forums first)

I just dont belive that this problem has been around for so long
yet they (Dlink) continue to advertise and sell the product as supporting ADS

I love the computer industry,,the only place you can buy something not working
then pay through the nose for patches and upgrades :).

My time spent on this to date is ridiculous.....

I forgot to ask in my last post.....
Please anyone who has tried the BETA Firmware 1.04 for ADS post your findings

Im sure this forum has many lurkers wanting to know the answer..

The QNap has a good reputation..yes more expensive but least will do what it advertises..

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »

I've been monitoring the A/D related thread(s) for a while ... actually since my original post(s) ... in the hopes that resolution would arrive in a timely fashion.

Guess what?  Still waiting ...

What additionally confuses me is that F/W 1.03 was available in BETA, similarly to what is going on with F/W 1.09 for the DNS-323.  Yet; for F/W 1.04, a PM is required.  At the moment, I'm sitting on two DNS-343's which can't be put into service as the administrative nightmare of daily "folder level" and DNS specific account management is too time consuming ... not to mention ineffective.

IMHO, this issue should have been resolved many months ago.  As a result of the delays and lack of response, D-Link has lost potential revenue as I cannot recommend the unit to my SBS business clients.

:(

* EDIT *

I'm also getting tired of having to upgrade F/W on a regular basis as well as being an unpaid member of the QA, Alpha, and Beta departments.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:03:56 PM by hilaireg »

Dwaynem

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 08:02:21 PM »

Here, here!  ...beta trial guinea pigs, 1 year or often more after release to the market place!
I've come to accept that to some degree, but it's still not acceptable to advertise something that clearly hasn't worked for so long.  The AD point was a big selling factor for me.

My fantasy is to actually force the owners of companies like this to 'read' the forums and frustrations of their 'guinea pigs'

tailslide

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 09:02:09 PM »

Here are my findings with the 1.04 beta firmware. My big problem in both 1.03 and 1.04 is AD authentication stops working every couple days and I have to restart the ADS addon. If anyone has any suggestions for a fix I'd love to hear them. Maybe it's falling off the domain? I am seriously considering setting up our old DNS-323 again and backing the whole thing up and resetting it to factory defaults so I can go back to the built in security. 

AD Server: Win 2008R2, x64

Good:
- I can now map to a drive using the name of the NAS rather than the IP address.
- Before I had one workstation out of several that would not connect no matter what I tried, it can now connect

Bad:
- After it has been running for a few days, my drive mappings to the NAS still stop working. I have to stop and start the ADS addon then they start working again.
 (could the NAS be falling off the domain and then re-registering when I restart the addon?)

-If I uninstall the ADS addon, all the options to setup the onboard user accounts are still grayed out.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 05:09:21 AM »

After it has been running for a few days, my drive mappings to the NAS still stop working. I have to stop and start the ADS addon then they start working again.

(could the NAS be falling off the domain and then re-registering when I restart the addon?)

Noticed the same thing with the ADS 1.0 add-on.  When this occurs, I observed that trying to view any folders with a "working" user account (ex: corp\johndoe) ceases to function as well.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 07:36:23 AM »

Noticed the same thing with the ADS 1.0 add-on.  When this occurs, I observed that trying to view any folders with a "working" user account (ex: corp\johndoe) ceases to function as well.

Thanks will look into it to see where the issue is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4