• March 28, 2024, 03:07:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: itunes Server & Itunes 9 Not Connecting  (Read 10349 times)

DarkStar1967

• Level 1 Member
itunes Server & Itunes 9 Not Connecting
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »

I just downloaded Itunes 9 and now am not able to connect to the itunes server on the DNS-323. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks!

DarkStar

Bullzie

• Level 1 Member
Re: itunes Server & Itunes 9 Not Connecting
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:39:15 AM »

Yep, same for me.

Bullzie

Camotec

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 03:16:30 AM »

I am also having a problem connecting with itunes 9. it is asking for username and password and nothing works yet before I needed nothing to connect with itunes? Why did Apple change this? I hope DLink do something about this. as I can't play my music now or sync to my iphone.  >:(

rcblackwell

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:54:31 AM »

I hope DLink do something about this.

Interesting  comment. Apple breaks iTunes and you want D-Link to fix it! That's like asking Ford to do warranty work on my Honda.
Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

AFTICARR.COM

bripab007

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 06:38:20 AM »

Interesting  comment. Apple breaks iTunes and you want D-Link to fix it! That's like asking Ford to do warranty work on my Honda.

Considering Apple makes iTunes and D-Link just uses a 3rd party software (or possibly licensed iTunes usage in some way?) to make a rudimentary iTunes service broadcast on their NAS device, you can't possibly expect Apple to ensure they don't break any of these 3rd party solutions when they update their own, native client and code?

So it's more akin to, say, your Honda has emulated and/or reverse-engineered the same functionality as Microsoft's Sync audio/iPod/Zune connectivity system in their own cars, then Ford or Microsoft updates the firmware or operating system of their own system and you bring your Honda to Ford to complain that you don't have the latest features of their system in your Honda.

Spalf

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 02:00:55 AM »

Out of curiosity... which Itunes are you using? Mac or Windows. I have Itunes 9 running on my mac and it seems to be working perfectly with my DNS-323.

bripab007

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 08:06:27 AM »

Just to be clear, we are talking about the functionality of the DNS-323's built-in iTunes/media server and the ability to connect to it as a shared library from the iTunes client (in Mac or Windows), correct?

amunoz_tico

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »

Try to install Firefly Server, it works with iTunes 9.

You can get the instruction here = http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:firefly

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 07:36:32 AM »

Not that I'm a big advocate of iTunes ... been burned by this application in the past, know to stay as far away from it as possible.

If the change significantly impacts the iTunes protocol implementation in the DNS-###, D-Link Engineering may opt to post a note that iTunes 9 may not be supported.  Assuming D-Link Engineering operates with the same software/hardware design practices that are used by many large companies, a review on the impact of implementing an update to support iTunes 9 will be required. 

IMHO, the lesson here is that upgrading to the latest version of an application is not always recommended as it usually "breaks" something else on one's system or network.  It would have been in Apple's best interest to ensure that their product remained backwards compatible (ex: Camotec 's iPhone) and continued to provided support for non-Apple servers such as the DNS-###. 

That said, Apple has never been very "friendly" to 3rd party vendors.

:(

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »

Yeah I currently only have the Beta code loaded on my unit..with the iTunes Firefly app running and it seems to work fine with iTunes 9
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

The_Mainlander

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »

I just downloaded Itunes 9 and now am not able to connect to the itunes server on the DNS-323. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks!

DarkStar

Same for me, God I just want this to work.

The_Mainlander

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 05:40:23 PM »

Try to install Firefly Server, it works with iTunes 9.

You can get the instruction here = http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:firefly

But this is only for Linux right, what about us not leet users... can this work on PC as well please?  ???

Thank you.  :)

dmnc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 06:03:15 AM »

Have you tried the same workaround you have to do with Snow Leopard + DNS-323? That is, setting your password to 0..9 digits only.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 02:04:59 PM »

Is anyone running the beta code 1.08 and still seeing this issue?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream