• April 23, 2024, 07:09:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: After Rebuild, Total Hard Drive Capacity: -1 MB  (Read 5534 times)

R-D

• Level 1 Member
After Rebuild, Total Hard Drive Capacity: -1 MB
« on: August 27, 2010, 06:55:44 AM »

I have 2 1.5TB Seagate drives I have been using for about a year and a half with no problems, one of the was failing (array would go degraded and drive was clicking) so I got a replacement under warranty.

I inserted the drive and everything looked normal, it formatted the disk and prompted tor ebuild. The rebuild proceeded and when it finished the Sync status was Completed.

Unfortunately now all my data (about 1.2TB) seems to be gone so I hope you can offer some suggestions. WHen I try to access Volume_1 it is not accessable. When I look in the Status page it showes my total capacity at -1MB.

Please help! :)

R-D

• Level 1 Member
Re: After Rebuild, Total Hard Drive Capacity: -1 MB
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:00:45 AM »

Some additional info:

I powered down the unit completely, when I started it back up it shows the following:

HARD DRIVE INFO :

Total Drive(s):    2

Volume Name:    Volume_1
Volume Type:    RAID 1
Sync Time Remaining:    Completed
Total Hard Drive Capacity:    1474368 MB
Used Space:    1111910 MB
Unused Space:    362457 MB

Unfortunately I am still unable to open Volume_1.

Just tied Tools > Disk Tools > Scandisk,  it went through very fast and said Volume_1 failed and just showed a restart button.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:44:22 PM »

The -1MB was probably due to the NAS needing to be restarted, which you cured.

You probably need to create the share again to Volume_1 to expose it.

Have you got funplug or similar running on the NAS - that could be the cause of the failed scan disk if the drive is in use by one of the services it provides.

If you are really stuck, you should be able to shut down the NAS, remove a drive and insert and read it in your PC using a Linux filesystem driver. Let us know if you need details.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:47:46 PM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

R-D

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »

Well I pulled the second drive and I can again access the volume_1 share on the remaining original drive.

I did hook up the 2nd (new) drive to my PC and using Ext2 IFS for Windows, I was able to see all the data on the drive. So it looks like thre build finished, but when I put the drive in it keeps denying access to the Volume_1 share. Also I don't think it is just an issue with the share for two reasons, one as per above I can access it without the second drive, and two - the scandisk keeps failing, going back to -1MB, and prompting to restart.  If it was just the share I wouldnt expect the scandisk to also keep failing.

I deleted everything relating to funplug off the volume before I did the format as I had read of problems formatting with ffp installed.

I am looking for a solution rather than a workaround as I dont want to have to format and start a new array every time I have a bad drive.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 01:36:27 AM »

You could try erasing the new disk- removing all partitions, then reinserting. While you're at it check the drive is OK with the manufacturers diagnostics.

It's not normal to have to do this, but it's probably quicker and easier to just format the drives again as RAID1 and copy your data back. At least that way you know the drives will be configured correctly.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:39:14 AM by jamieburchell »

R-D

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »

I ran the replacement HDD through Seatools and there were no problems found. So I formatted the drive completely and let the NAS do another rebuild.

After the rebuild I had the same problem - unable to access VOlume_1.

I did a reset to factory defaults and after reconfiguring my settings, I was able to get back into the Volume_1 share.

Reinstalled ffp for sshd access and all appears to be good.

I have not re-run the Checkdisk utility from the web interface as it seems to want to keep failing. Are there log files stored somewhere for the checkdisk utility so I can see whats wrong?

Thanks for the ideas.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 05:16:04 AM »

The factory reset is the key here.  There seems to be a bunch of things the DNS-323 manages to store that screw up the works, this many times gets a malfunctioning NAS working again.

Clearly, this shouldn't be that way, but it is.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »

I have not re-run the Checkdisk utility from the web interface as it seems to want to keep failing.

If you've got SSH running on the NAS, the scan disk will fail instantly because the drive can't be unmounted to check it (since it is in use). The same might be true for other services such as lighttpd.

Code: [Select]
/ffp/start/sshd.sh stop
Then try again.

R-D

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »

As I said, I enabled SSH after the fact. FFP was completely gone during all my troubleshooting.

Just wondering now if there is somewhere to view any logs created by the scandisk utility.