• April 23, 2024, 06:47:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Suddenly, one of my DNS-323 NAS box will not boot. Help!  (Read 6129 times)

ConcreteBrew

• Level 1 Member
Suddenly, one of my DNS-323 NAS box will not boot. Help!
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »

Hi,

I have an issue with a DNS-323 that, along with several others, has given me great service for several years. Recently, I started the process of replacing my original NAS drives as they neared their MTBFs and they are running in a critical environment 24/7. I have already completed the process on a few, by installing new WD Red NAS drives, and did so effortlessly and without a hitch. The boxes are all using Firmware version 1.10 (I read version 10 is available, but don't know where to obtain it; any suggestions with this as well?) and installed them always following the correct procedures as outlined by D-Link, and used two identical drives in each instance.

However, on the last one, after replacing the NAS drives, I am now finding that in turning the unit on, the power light blinks rapidly (Blue) and never stops. The network indicator light (Blue) also flashes on and off, except nor rapidly; rather, if seems as though the box wants to connect to the LAN, but quickly disconnects (This supposition is based also on the fact that the port's light on the switch the DNS-323 is connected to, flashes equally). Finally, in running the D-Link search utility, the box does not show up and in trying to connect to it directly through a browser, Chrome and IE, it returns the "Page not found" message. At no time either of the drive indicator lights come on (Either blue or amber). The unit will remain will remain in that state for hours if allowed.

Neither of the drive light becomes illuminated at all and using D-Link's search utility, the unit does not appear online. I have a total of seven (7) units and the rest all function properly. I have taken the new drives out and replaced them with a different set and also have re-installed the originals drives, and I get the same results. When I first decided to change the drives, the unit worked fine and I powered it down correctly as I have for years with all of the other units. At first I deduced the drives were not compatible except I get the same results with the drives I had been using.

Now, the only way to power the box down, is by unplugging it. I have checked the power supply for the correct output and it is normal. This, for me, is an inexplicable situation other than by the drive lights never illuminating, I surmise the DNS-323 is not sensing them which also explains the rapid flashing of the power light as that is what it does when starting up under normal circumstances, until the drives are sensed and booted. While it may be coincidental that the unit would fail under such circumstances, I am hopeful that is not the case and that someone on this forum can provide with the answers I need and also continue using the NAS box. Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:49:05 PM by ConcreteBrew »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Suddenly, one of my DNS-323 NAS box will not boot. Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:55:45 AM »

Pull the drives & power the box on - if it does not boot you either have a hardware issue or corrupt firmware.

The early versions of the firmware (prior to perhaps 1.03 or thereabouts) would not boot without drives and would loop until the drives came ready, but with 1.10, it should boot without the drives in under five minutes and be visible, either at the assigned ip address or using the search utility.

You can also try a reset to defaults.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:35:19 AM »

Another thing, are you sure your power supply is supplying +12v and +5v under load.  Measuring yoltage off load tell you nothing about the state of the power supply.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:49:20 AM »

Measuring yoltage off load tell you nothing about the state of the power supply.
Well, not "nothing" but surely not everything. :)

It would tell you if you have it plugged in correctly, the fuse hasn't blown, etc
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 09:52:30 AM »

Note I said 'state' of the power supply.

If you have no power going to it that should be obvious.  What isn't obvious is the state of the capacitors on the switching circuit, if their ESR is out of range or they have started to dry out then the no load voltage may be correct but the moment you put a load on it the voltages drop to values where the DNS-323 will not work.

Fordem's suggestion to try the unit without drives is good because it reduces the load on the PS.

As an aside, we have had to replace capacitors in the power supplies of our two oldest DNS-323 and are running monthly checks on the power supplies of our clients units that are at almost the same age.

Yes, I do understand what you are saying, just remember I live with this sort of thing in the day job.