• March 28, 2024, 04:07:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Disable DCS-932L Infrared LEDs  (Read 65924 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Disable DCS-932L Infrared LEDs
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »

Just disable the LED's by following these steps:
1. Sign in to mydlink.
2. Click on 'Camera info'.
3. Click on 'Advanced Setting".
4. Log into this area.
5. Click "Live Video" button.
6. Turn "Night Mode" to 'off' position on bottom.
7. Logout of this area.
8. You are done; LED'd are now disabled.
Post here if this works for you!
If you lose power, or unplug the camera, the LED's will default back 'on'; if you want to turn the LED's on at a later time, follow stepsto #6 and turn "Night Mode" to 'on' position.

This procedure will not work. The poster wants to enable night mode while disabling the IR Illuminators. There are a number of DCS owners who want to use third party IR Illuminators with their DCS camera(s) while in night mode.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:03:12 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

rjmmoon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 12:15:11 PM »

This procedure will not work. The poster wants to enable night mode while disabling the IR Illuminators. There are a number of DCS owners who want to use third party IR Illuminators with their DCS camera(s) while in night mode.

OK, then the tape method will have to do.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »

Yeah, unfortunately night mode is an all-or-nothing proposition. This is a consumer grade camera and using a third-party IR Illuminator is not something the typical owner will use.

TME

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 11:59:10 PM »

I popped open the cam and cut the board traces which power the LEDs with a razor blade.  It's a better long term solution than covering from the front.. Or at least better looking.  The day filter still opens at night to increase sensitivity, but eliminates the LED reflection from a window.   LEDs can be re-enabled with a small solder jumper if necessary later.   Each pair of LEDs (top, bottom) are in series, so only two cuts were necessary. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:02:01 AM by TME »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 04:09:41 AM »

I popped open the cam and cut the board traces which power the LEDs with a razor blade.  It's a better long term solution than covering from the front.. Or at least better looking.  The day filter still opens at night to increase sensitivity, but eliminates the LED reflection from a window.   LEDs can be re-enabled with a small solder jumper if necessary later.   Each pair of LEDs (top, bottom) are in series, so only two cuts were necessary. 

Thank you for sharing your solution with us.

aljmc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »

I tried the putty over the icons idea, alot of the IR bleeds through, this is not a solution.
I then tried unplugging one of the wires going to the sub-board, this proved to be not a solution.
I used the method suggested by TME, cutting the board traces. I had to puzzle over where to cut the traces.
As TME mentioned, only 2 cuts are required, one on the top and one on the bottom. To identify where to cut, look closely at the board and you will see + and - near the IR LEDs. The cut needs to be made on the thin trace leading to the + side of the top pair of LEDs and to the + side of the bottom LEDs
Al
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:25:15 AM by aljmc »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 07:50:13 AM »

I tried the putty over the icons idea, alot of the IR bleeds through, this is not a solution.

Other camera owners have successfully used electrical tape.

aljmc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 08:37:17 AM »

I tried electrical tape first. I found that electrical tape is transparent to IR. Makes sense since IR is essentially heat, once the tape heats up it is a source of IR even if it doesn't let the original IR source through.

This whole topic need not even be discussed if D-Link would expose turning the IR off setting in it's web settings page. (I'm convinced that someone with telnet access to the camera could edit a config file to turn off the IR lights.)
1. We're asked to keep the camera out of the elements.
2. Logic dictates that many applications would place the unit behind a window.
3. This makes the unit useless at night unless the owner can choose to illumine the outside with his own IR source and turn off the IR lights on the camera.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »

I tried electrical tape first. I found that electrical tape is transparent to IR. Makes sense since IR is essentially heat, once the tape heats up it is a source of IR even if it doesn't let the original IR source through.

This whole topic need not even be discussed if D-Link would expose turning the IR off setting in it's web settings page. (I'm convinced that someone with telnet access to the camera could edit a config file to turn off the IR lights.)
1. We're asked to keep the camera out of the elements.
2. Logic dictates that many applications would place the unit behind a window.
3. This makes the unit useless at night unless the owner can choose to illumine the outside with his own IR source and turn off the IR lights on the camera.

Some of the more advanced Cloud cameras have the ability to disable the IR illuminators through the web UI, but not the DCS-9XX series. This item was added to our DCS-932 - Firmware Wishlist thread a long time ago.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:31:46 AM by JavaLawyer »

ReverendTed

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »

Perhaps we could use the "problem" from the add-on lenses as a solution here?

The small magnet ring that is used to attach add-on lenses to the camera prevents travel of the IR-cut filter.  Perhaps if the camera was set to Night mode, and then the magnet attached, then when the camera was set back to Day mode the IR cut filter would remain in place.

This way, you'd leave the camera in Day mode (which would turn the illuminators off) and still have the benefit of the IR cut filter, making it ideal for use at night with an external illuminator.  The drawback with this solution is that the IR cut filter produces a few strange color effects in full light.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 06:26:34 AM »

I'm sure it's possible to find an opaque material to put around the periphery of the lens to cover the IR illuminators (e.g. a shield fashioned out of aluminum foil should work).

FTLOSM

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »

I just got 2 932L's to add to my 2 daytime only 930's, I "planned" to use them indoors out the window to the driveway for night viewing, the 930's did the job but were dark even with outside lights on, well yeah i ran into the IR reflection problem described here :(

I ended up using the 932 day/nights indoors so now I don't have to worry if there is enough light on when I leave to catch someone going thru the house, and I just have the 930's back on the driveway for the best view possible at least they don't have any reflection (i did black electric tape then white ductape over the led).

Is there a way to disable the 932's green blinking light?

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 02:40:58 PM »

On the camera's webpage (cameraip/advanced.htm), Admin, middle of the page -
"LED Control" - Normal/Off

W6IRE

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 08:56:36 PM »

Can someone who has disabled the LEDs by cutting the PCB trace please post a more exact location (perhaps with a photo) of where the trace should be cut?

slvrscoobie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 02:25:22 PM »

On the camera's webpage (cameraip/advanced.htm), Admin, middle of the page -
"LED Control" - Normal/Off

Sorry this disables the LED on the front of the camera to show its on/recording. Does nothing (for me) for the night mode LEDs.

I think ill try the electrical tape - IR is NOT heat. (take a quick look at wikipedia at the EMS, IR has SWIR (750-2000nm, these LEDS are probably in the 800-850 range similar to the best response of the CMOS sensor) MWIR (2-7um) and LWIR (7-20um) LWIR is 'heat' and requires a FLIR camera (or Seek) to view it. LEDS emit almost 0 LWIR.
Pages: 1 [2] 3