D-Link Wireless Routers for Home and Small Business > DIR-882

DIR-882 firmware v1.10B02 Released - Official KRACK/DNSmasq fixes

<< < (2/6) > >>

FurryNutz:
You'll find DD-WRT forum posts regarding this model over on there forum located here as well for additional help and information:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=50

Gattsu:

--- Quote from: Broly on April 16, 2018, 03:27:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: GreenBay42 on April 16, 2018, 02:28:25 PM ---D-Link does not support 3rd party firmware (i.e. D-Link  helping you setup/configure/fix 3rd party firmware). The source code is public and D-Link does not stop users from using 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT, but the user is always responsible for loading non-D-Link firmware. D-Link cannot control or be responsible for what a user does with the source code (obviously  :) ).

That being said, if you plan on using DD-WRT do not upgrade the D-Link firmware since DD-WRT will over-ride it. The bootloader is very rarely flashed on D-Link routers, only the firmware gets upgraded. I do not know specifically for the 1.10B02 firmware.

If you are looking for KRACK and DNSmasq fixes, make sure DD-WRT (or whatever 3rd party firmware) has it.

You may want to contact tech support if you have more concerns or need more technical information.

--- End quote ---

Hi GreenBay,

this makes sense, but i was curious as to why there are two firmwares. if the bootloader has not changed, i don't think D-Link would need to have two separate FWs that need to be flashed. I have never seen such a situation until now.

The reason I ask about the bootloader is because usually when the kernel is updated (which in this case would contain the driver/programs effected by the KRACK exploit), a two-firmware flash is hardly needed. It could be a single firmware and the root file system contained on the MTD could simply be updated to patch the files that are effected.

Is there any way users can find out what exactly changes when flashing to 1.10B2? If there is no bootloader update, why are two firmware flashes required?

It seems there is more than just a simple root filesystem (containing the stuff that would be effected by KRACK) update, and I was hoping you or someone could ask about it.

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

The "unencrypt" file will remove the overwrite protection to allow a firmware upgrade and nothing else.

GreenBay42:
I loaded DD-WRT without issues from v1.10B02 and then put the D-Link firmware back on (1.04 first then 1.10). Seems to be working normally.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=73607.0

Broly:

--- Quote from: Gattsu on April 17, 2018, 07:34:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: GreenBay42 on April 16, 2018, 02:28:25 PM ---D-Link does not support 3rd party firmware (i.e. D-Link  helping you setup/configure/fix 3rd party firmware). The source code is public and D-Link does not stop users from using 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT, but the user is always responsible for loading non-D-Link firmware. D-Link cannot control or be responsible for what a user does with the source code (obviously  :) ).

That being said, if you plan on using DD-WRT do not upgrade the D-Link firmware since DD-WRT will over-ride it. The bootloader is very rarely flashed on D-Link routers, only the firmware gets upgraded. I do not know specifically for the 1.10B02 firmware.

If you are looking for KRACK and DNSmasq fixes, make sure DD-WRT (or whatever 3rd party firmware) has it.

You may want to contact tech support if you have more concerns or need more technical information.

--- End quote ---

Hi GreenBay,

this makes sense, but i was curious as to why there are two firmwares. if the bootloader has not changed, i don't think D-Link would need to have two separate FWs that need to be flashed. I have never seen such a situation until now.

The reason I ask about the bootloader is because usually when the kernel is updated (which in this case would contain the driver/programs effected by the KRACK exploit), a two-firmware flash is hardly needed. It could be a single firmware and the root file system contained on the MTD could simply be updated to patch the files that are effected.

Is there any way users can find out what exactly changes when flashing to 1.10B2? If there is no bootloader update, why are two firmware flashes required?

It seems there is more than just a simple root filesystem (containing the stuff that would be effected by KRACK) update, and I was hoping you or someone could ask about it.

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

The "unencrypt" file will remove the overwrite protection to allow a firmware upgrade and nothing else.

--- End quote ---

First off, I want to thank GreenBay42, FuzzyNuts and Gattsu for their prompt and informative responses.

One last inquiry: Gattsu, does the firmware update the bootloader at all, or no? I am still wondering why the overwrite protection thing is needed. For example, why could users upgrade from 1.00 to 1.01 (using stock DLINK Fw) without the intermediate? What would require the overwrite protection mentioned in this post?

Surely there is some sort of bootloader update?

edit: sorry one more thing: when will the GPL code for the 878/882 (fw 1.10 be posted)? thanks.
edit2: went ahead and loaded 1.04->1.10 myself, and i can still use DD-WRT. phew. sorry for being paranoid. would like to know when the 1.10GPL code will be posted though! thank you so much for your help. you guys are great!

Gattsu:

--- Quote from: Broly on April 17, 2018, 03:20:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: Gattsu on April 17, 2018, 07:34:41 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Hi GreenBay,

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

First off, I want to thank GreenBay42, FuzzyNuts and Gattsu for their prompt and informative responses.

One last inquiry: Gattsu, does the firmware update the bootloader at all, or no? I am still wondering why the overwrite protection thing is needed. For example, why could users upgrade from 1.00 to 1.01 (using stock DLINK Fw) without the intermediate? What would require the overwrite protection mentioned in this post?

Surely there is some sort of bootloader update?

edit: sorry one more thing: when will the GPL code for the 878/882 (fw 1.10 be posted)? thanks.
edit2: went ahead and loaded 1.04->1.10 myself, and i can still use DD-WRT. phew. sorry for being paranoid. would like to know when the 1.10GPL code will be posted though! thank you so much for your help. you guys are great!

--- End quote ---

Sorry no known timetable but usually it will take them 2-5 months to release the GPL code after the firmware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version