• April 18, 2024, 12:49:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: UPnP AV 1.06 issues  (Read 21858 times)

iampedro

• Level 2 Member
Re: UPnP AV 1.06 issues
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 10:08:09 AM »

Seems like I say this every few days :).

6. Change the directory to a folder with only a couple files and refresh. See if these files are accesible on your console. You could be having a corrupt file issue in your media library.

Why would a corrupt file be an issue with the scanning of the network?

I have this setup:

WRTL54GL with DDWRT firmware latest 24 sp2
It connects Netgear 1 gig 8 port hub the DNS 323 connects to that and so dose the xbox 360.

I don't know what the issue is with the xbox 360 seeing the files on the DNS 323... Shouldn't the code or os skip the corrupt files and go to the next one with out skipping all the ones that work?

nightshocker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 12:52:21 PM »

ya.. the problem is that the 360 is not seeing the 323 at all... not that the files are not showing. i can not even see the 323. i have the latest updates for the 360. maybe something has changed? this is why i like XBMC so easy to do everything no limits that companies put... (the limits im talking about is playing file type)
(on a different note why is the free stuff better then the paid?)

(ADDED)

ok, ok, after trying everthing else i saved my settings and restored to defaults. loaded my saved settings back on enabled upnp and it worked..... but why, i just loaded the same settings that i had, please dlink support tell me what "restore to defaults" really does.

bah, im just going to restore to defaults every time i do a firmware update like a good little pawn would :)

thanks D-Link support
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:51:12 AM by nightshocker »

nukedathlonman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 06:28:02 PM »

I just reset my DNS-323 to factory defaults, then configured up everything the way I had it, and presto everything started working with my 360 - thanks!

iampedro

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 05:52:12 AM »

I finally got it to work but it seems that code dose need improvement since the limitation of the UPnP AV server seems to be limited and not able to handle multiple file formats such as long name and if they consider it corrupt then that wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:02:45 AM by iampedro »

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 10:05:16 AM »

It seams the the auto refresh of server doesn't update the media list as it is added imediately. I usually have to wait until the next day to see the 2 or 3 files I added beofre the refresh. I even tried manually refreshing the server with the sme effect. I even began to wonder if it even worked.

I just reset the DNS as the Mgod suggested and will post my results shortly.

SYSTEM
PS3 + DNS-323 (it always worked fine until 1.06 - without or without massive amounts of pics and vids.)

Cheers,

Lucid.

dukephoenix

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »

It seams the the auto refresh of server doesn't update the media list as it is added imediately. I usually have to wait until the next day to see the 2 or 3 files I added beofre the refresh. I even tried manually refreshing the server with the sme effect. I even began to wonder if it even worked.

I just reset the DNS as the Mgod suggested and will post my results shortly.

SYSTEM
PS3 + DNS-323 (it always worked fine until 1.06 - without or without massive amounts of pics and vids.)

Cheers,

Lucid.

I have the exact same issue!

DLINK - What is the point of having this drive if it can't index new files copied to it straight away, even after the 20 minute refresh? It's getting extremely frustrating!

BluBear

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 07:57:11 AM »

Just purchased a DNS-323 and immediately loaded 1.06. The intent was to use the device as a media server with a PS3. The PS3 sees the UPnP server alright but the list of available JPEGs and MP3s is way too short. Manually updating the index takes forever and results in no improvement. I followed all instructions on resetting the unit and restoring factory defaults to the letter. Files are NOT located in root.
Very disappointing performance, and not at all what the product specifications promised. This after I converted my entire M4A music library to MP3 to suit the file support of the UPnP server which oddly does not support the M4A file type. There is a built-in iTunes server, yet no support for M4A files via UPnP? This is almost comical.

PS: Twonky media server has no issues with corrupt files and lists each and every one of them.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:59:43 AM by BluBear »

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 03:58:07 PM »

EXACTLY, AGAIN AND AGAIN!

Now that twonky will no be anymore supported for the DNS 323 we are at mercy of the AV UPnP that we were supposed to have when we bought the device and never had ...

Sorry to be pick again, but hey DLINK guys? why are we still requesting you guys sutff over and over.

I agree with BluBear, looks like you UPnP server is very badly implemented.

Today I just did another test, installed mediatumb in one of my DNS 323 (the test one) and voila, like twonky all my multimedia stuff apears UPnP on WMP11. Yes I use a laptop running Vista connect to my receiver to see streamed movies and listen my mp3 and wma stuff, I don't have a ps3 or xbox.
Continuing the test, now without mediatomb. I created a directory on my DNS 323, with just one single mp3 file and configured the DNS 323 AV UPnP server to use this folder (yes it allows ONLY one folder no matter ou requests). And .... the think does not appear as a UPnP server on my WMP11 as mediatomb (and previously twonky) was appearing.

Hey DLINk guys ... you sell this stuff aying you have  AV UPnP server  (and you do not put on the box that it is a broke one).

CAN YOU PLEASE FORGET NEW FUNCTIONALITY AND GIVE US THE ORIGINAL PROMISED ONES WORKING!!!!!

It's nice that you continue to work on the firmware but I'm also tired to pay for stuff that do not does what advertises.

kiwikjh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 03:43:11 AM »

The 1.06 version seems to have an indexing problem. I have tried all the suggestions by Dlink support, refreshing after a restoring defaults has no effect on recently added files or directories.

I have my PS3 and 323 connected through a linksys WAG160N.
PS3 current firmware 2.53 - 192.168.1.108
Dlink 323 - 192.168.1.104
Subnet..normal 255.255.255.0

It was working fine for me after the new firmware version, I was able to add new files into my existing structure no worries. The problem of not recognizing new files or folders occurred only after I tried to rename an existing directory on the 323. Since then refreshing does not recognize the name change nor new files in any existing or new folders. 

BluBear

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 03:57:11 PM »

For me, the so-called UPnP server is no longer an issue.
I will
- declare the money I spent on this device a loss, as far as UPnP functionality is concerned
- take note of the amateurish SW development at DLink and spread my views in product reviews
- move on with my life and look for more professional solutions

I just don't have the time or inclination to chase after something that I feel is unlikely to materialize.
Good luck everyone.

Mongoose

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »

This is a disappointing thread for me, only because I spent over an hour yesterday on the phone to tech support who of course acted as if they have never heard of this problem. Finally they decided that I need to send my hardware in on an RMA. Of course, the website notes that if no problems are found with the hardware (and I am reasonably sure this is a software problem), I'll be charged a 10% re-stocking fee.

No wonder D-Link bugs never get fixed, if this is the way they are identified.

In the vague hope that my troubleshooting would not be in vain, these are the symptoms I am seeing.

1 - I see the same result on a Windows client, a linux client and an internet radio
2 - When I set the UPnP directory to be a directory, or set of directories containing a few tracks (one or two CDs, about 20 tracks). The tracks are indexed perfectly normally.
3 - When I set the UPnP directory to Root, or to the main directory housing my music collection (4,605 files) then once the index completes (waiting for the refresh to complete) no files are indexed and presented to a UPnP client.
4 - Waiting until morning (just in case there is additional indexing happening in the background) also makes no difference.

Mediatomb seems able to index the lot without an issue, but for some reason the "built-in" functionality cannot. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Mongoose

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »

... and it turns out to be this simple. I reset to factory defaults, re-enabled UPnP and it works. Indexed everything.

Wow, that would have been a simpler answer to get from tech support yesterday. Thanks to the person (I forget your name) on the board who suggested this.

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »

O.K. guys. Stop acting childish with the engies. They do a great job building and supporting their products.

That being said...there obviosuly is an issue with firmware 1.06. I will not reset my DNS-323 to factory defaults everytime I add files to the device. My PS3 sees the folders properly but the auto refresh just doesn't refresh at all. I tested this the other day by addding files to my UpnP DIR "Multimedia" Subdivided by 3 other DIRS "Photos" "Videos" "Music". Each obviosuly have many other subdirectories. These DIR structure never had issues in the past.

Router: DIR-655 IP:192.168.0.1
NAS: DNS-323 IP:192.168.0.104
PS3 (Latest firmware): IP 192.168.0.102
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

1) The upnp does not refresh any new items in any DIR.
2) Manual refresh does not update the media index until MANY hours later. (could be 1-12 hours later)
3) In firmware 1.05 a manual refresh refreshed the index no problem

One more thing: The release notes read that the PS3 is supported. It was always supported without issues (at least since I owned it (v1.03)). What changed?

If something supports PS3 I'd like the media server and the PS3 to work hand in hand. For example when selecting music from the PS3 instrad of browsing the video files I'd like to just "SEE" the music DIR. Browsing the DIR's beocme a bit of a pain. I'd like to see a transparent menu navigation with the DIR's.

Let me know if you require further info.

Cheers!

Lucid

BluBear

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 04:07:43 PM »

Just poking my head in to see whether anything had changed since I said my goodbyes to DLink UPnP. Doesn't look like it. I ended up running Twonky Media Server 4.4.11 on the DNS-323 without any problems. No refresh issues. Streams my 2300+ music files, as well as 5000+ JPEGs without complaint to my PS3. Updates the index in less than 2 minutes.

Not blaming the engineers at DLink for anything. Not being childish, either. I am an EE myself, so I know how things sometimes "work", or not, in R&D.

I blame DLink management, likely the Marketing Droids, for insisting to claim that the device is providing UPnP functionality, and particularly PS3 compatibility when all they allow R&D to deliver is some half-baked, homegrown solution. Other vendors choose to embed Twonky's solution into their devices. They know why.

But mostly, I blame myself for not having done my due dilligence before choosing the DNS-323. At least I was able to jump through a few hoops, spend some additional time and cash, and come up with a workable solution.

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 06:19:45 PM »

Funny...TWONKY stopped support NAS. Take is easy...
Pages: 1 [2] 3