• April 25, 2024, 06:00:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: not working anymore after new adding a new drive  (Read 1900 times)

Remdelyon

• Level 1 Member
not working anymore after new adding a new drive
« on: March 11, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »

Hi All,
I've been using a DNS 320 for two years wihout any issue; I had only one drive (1To) on the left slot.  To extend the capacity, I inserted a new drive (2To) in the second (right) slot. The nas was working perfectly one minute before the insertion.
With this second drive, the nas starts, the drive (or at least one of the drives) makes the usual noise when the nas is booting. Then everything becomes quiet - as usual after a reboot. The power light is on, but the nas remains inaccessible from the web UI. After a long wait, I only get a part of the log screen (only the boxes and fields to fill in, without any text -) and if I try to connect as admin or other user, the browser times out. Of course the nas is also inaccessible from my FTP client.

Do you think the second drive has killed my nas? or is there anything I could try?  perhaps with the CD? (if i manage to find it again...)

Thanks for your help.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: not working anymore after new adding a new drive
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »

A couple of things to try/check.

First check that you have the correct power supply and that it is supplying the correct voltage.  If the power supply does not supply enough current the voltage will drop and the unit will nor work correctly (you could test with another power supply that is 12volt at 4Amp minimum).

If the power supply is working correctly, power the unit off, remove the new disk, power on and check if you can access the web interface (you need to power off before removing or adding drives because the unit is not setup for hot swapping).

If that does nothing then you will have to try a 'reset to factory defaults' by holding in the reset button at the back for 10 seconds. 

Remdelyon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:50:32 PM »

Thanks for your help!  It was not the power supply, but probably something wrong in the drive connectors, (dust or something else?) As you recommended, I unplugged the second drive - without success, then the first, without solving the issue, then after a few new tries, I had again access to the web interface. Everything is working normally now, with both drives.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:02:58 PM »

Sorry that I forgot to mention cleaning connectors - I have drummed that into my service staff so we all do it without thinking.

The main thing is that your unit is up and working.