• March 28, 2024, 02:33:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DNS-323 iTunes Server w/ iTunes 10  (Read 42248 times)

dalesum

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 iTunes Server w/ iTunes 10
« on: September 02, 2010, 06:50:44 AM »

Word is starting to hit the apple forums that the iTunes server is no longer being detected with a NAS device in iTunes 10.  I just ordered one on newegg yesterday and I'm a bit concerned since this was my main reason for purchasing one. 

Here's the link to the apple forums about the discussion.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12196064&#12196064

logicbytes

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-323 iTunes Server w/ iTunes 10
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:42:23 AM »

I can confirm after upgrading to Itunes 10 I can only see the DNS323 listed and its playlists but they are all empty  :( D-Link May have to come out with a firmware patch or Apple will have to patch Itunes 10

CorporateOffRoader

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »

Same here, just upgraded iTunes and while it says loading the NAS list, it appears empty.

dalesum

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:35:36 PM »

Would be nice to see apple fix this, i have a feeling its' going to be left up to the vendors to resolve.

btm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 11:44:17 AM »

Upgraded one machine last night to iTunes 10 and noticed my DNS-323 visable but not connecting.  Figured I'd leave other machines on older iTunes and all would be well...this is not the case!  Might try disconnecting the NAS from iTunes on the iTunes 10 machine to see if this clears things up across the network. >:(

softbear

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »

Has anyone tried the Firefly App instead?
DNS-323 w/2x1 TB

Polian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »

Yes. That's what I use, same results.

I was going to try and install a new Firefly package from the Firefly website. It appears the last "stable" nightly build was in May 2007, and the last unstable "cutting edge" nightly was in October 2007.

I don't think this will be fixed anytime soon.

flighteven

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 05:33:11 AM »

I've got the same problem  :-[
So Dlink is asked to resolve the problem , please  :-[

Polian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 07:25:27 AM »

Someone over at the apple forums stated that their mt-daapd rewrite (forked-daapd) works with iTunes 10, but I can't confirm or deny because there's no port of the software for the DNS-323. It's not compiled, and I'm not smart or experienced enough to even try to make it work.

http://github.com/jasonmc/forked-daapd

A project for someone that's capable. You'd be the hero of a lot of people, heh.

ScottyyMac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 11:29:27 AM »

I thought it was just me.  I updated Itunes to 10 just before I enabled the Itunes server for the first time and thought I was doing something wrong.  Now that I know it is the new version of Itunes I am reverting to 9.2.1.  See link below.

http://appletoolbox.com/2010/09/how-to-downgrade-itunes-10-to-itunes-9-2-1/

BDX

• Level 1 Member
Thank God! I'm not crazy & iTunes version release Notes
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 10:22:51 AM »

You guys just restored my sanity and faith in the on line community.

I was going nutz, I had installed TuneUp 2010 to straighten out some registry issues and then the next night updated my laptop to iTunes 10.0....pfffffft my 323's music disappears..I spent like 4 hours checking permissions, did a restore from previous night and crap no luck.

Fortunately I kept my gaming machine at 9.2.x and its fine. I was looking at the release notes for iTunes on Wiki and, naturally there is no mention of anything that had to do with Home Share or file format security. I'll have some time to call Apple tomorrow and make an inquiry.

Apple did something in this release...I'm not so sure this entirely DLinks issue.

BDX

• Level 1 Member
Two Ideas
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »

IDEA#1 - has anyone tried making the 323 their default itunes location by mapping it as a network drive and saving or purchasing a song to it to see if iTunes will:

1) recognize it as a valid "save to" storage location, the DNS may not let this happen

2) if it does save to that location does it then see that song on the play list?

If sucessful that would indicate that v10 is saving files in a new storage format and its not the DNS's issue with the way its iTunes share server is presenting the files.

IDEA#2 - I'm also tempted to rename my iTunes folder on the DNS, then copy a v10 library to the DNS as the iTunes folder share it and see if iTunes sees the new v10 library on my laptop.

I would bet id it were possible to "authorize" the DNS as a valid account, iTunes would allow it.

Just a few random thoughts

kuban111

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:36 AM »

I have the same problems all have described here regarding using the DNS iTunes server feature. So I went a different route and tried connecting it as a share drive. If I go to files and add to library from any music files on the DNS. I am welcomed with the spinning beach ball of death every time. After a while it eventually finishes locating the file and it plays the song. then if I quit iTunes and reload again to play the file, it does the same thing all over again. But just yesterday I tried ejecting the DNS323 drive from shared drive on my Mac first, then started iTunes, selected a song file from music library and no spinning beach ball of death, everything works fine. iTunes is working fine recognizing the DNS323 as a share drive without any loading problems only if I have the drive disconnected from shared, then starting up iTunes. Has anyone else gotten this?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: Two Ideas
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 05:55:33 AM »

1) recognize it as a valid "save to" storage location, the DNS may not let this happen

I've always managed to hold down shift while launching iTunes and selecting a folder on the NAS to store the library. I found it painfully slow to use that way though. Much better to have the library on the local machine and just drag your music/media to iTunes and let it reference them from the NAS.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

BDX

• Level 1 Member
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:44:41 AM by BDX »
Pages: [1] 2 3