• March 28, 2024, 10:52:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-313 and Win 7 Network  (Read 7227 times)

robertvk

• Level 1 Member
DNS-313 and Win 7 Network
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:54:30 AM »

I'm having the strangest problem with my DNS-313 - it's been working perfectly for ages, but last week I wanted to transfer a lot of data onto it, and it was quicker to do it via the USB connection, so I disconnected it from the network and transferred the data that way. But now I can't get it working on the network anymore. I can ping it successfully, it's got an IP address, but it doesn't come up in the Windows network, or the easy search utility. I can't even get to it via the Web interface. With one exception: when I reset it, it seems to work fine  - it shows up in the easy search utility, the web interface, and even in the windows network, but then it disappears after about 5-10 minutes. I suspect it's something to do with the router, but can't figure out what.
Any help would be very much appreciated!

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
Re: DNS-313 and Win 7 Network
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »

Master browser issue?

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=44009.msg159030#msg159030

See if that is relevant to you.

Regards,

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

robertvk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 03:28:20 AM »

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to be at first glance...if I re-set it, I can get to it for about 3 minutes, both through Windows and the web interface. But then suddenly I can't, and Windows diagnostics says:

"The remote device or resource won't accept the connection Detected 
The device or resource (DLINK-84D641) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".

I then also can't get to it via the browser interface. But I can still ping its IP.....

Still at a loss....

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 04:46:14 AM »

... But I can still ping its IP

Can you access the Volume by using the IP instead of it's name (ie: DLINK-84D641).  Did you set up the NAS to have a static IP or does it get its IP from your router?

Regards,

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

robertvk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 04:57:27 AM »

No, no difference....in the circa 3 minutes I can get to it via the browser after I've reset it, I've tried both a static IP address and DHCP, no difference. During those 3 minutes I can get to it either using the name or the IP, but then neither works. So the problem is, what happens 3 minutes after the reset..?

[I find the IP with Network Magic, which shows it as online...But, the Netgear router doesn't show it up as having a DHCP lease, which suggests it could be the router bumping it off for some reason]

Robert
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:03:24 AM by robertvk »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »

You could test your last suggestion by connecting your computer directly to the NAS by cable.  For this to work the NAS will need to have a static IP.

If it continues working in that configuration then there is a problem with your router.  If it doesn't then the NAS itself or the computer are suspect.

If the router is the problem then I would advise getting a switch to replace it or if is the unit that supplies DHCP for your network then just hang it off the switch as well.

We have a setup with a 48 port switch in the server rack and a couple of 8 port switches on different floors.  Each of those switches has a wireless router attached as well as various computers and other equipment.  DHCP is supplied by the main server with backup from the ADSL router.

robertvk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »

Ok, tried that ...same problem - appears in easy search briefly, but then disappears after a few minutes - so it doesn't seem to be the router (this feels like an episode of House!)...But then I can't think what it could be about the DNS-313...?

Also, I should mention that there's also a DNS-320 connected to the router which works perfectly...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:15:34 AM by robertvk »