• March 28, 2024, 03:42:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Feature Request for DCS-930L: Motion Detection on a schedule  (Read 22311 times)

TD99

• Level 2 Member
Feature Request for DCS-930L: Motion Detection on a schedule
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »

I realize that this is a new product, but nevertheless I have some feedback after running my 4 new DCS-930L camera over the past few days.

Currently, you can configure the camera to EMAIL/FTP images on a schedule or when motion is detected, but not both.

Why does it matter? Because I get flooded with email alerts after I get home from work and later in the evening every time I walk by one of the cameras or whenever a light switch is turned on/off.

If I could configured the motion detection to only alert during a specified schedule of days and hours, it would be great!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:51:54 AM by TD99 »

HanShot1st

• Level 1 Member
Re: Feature Request for DCS-930L: Motion Detection on a schedule
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »

I couldn't agree more. I came to this forum looking for this exact information. The Motion Detection feature is basically unusable unless it can be done on a schedule for the exact reason listed above. I would also love to see the ability to capture video to a machine on the local network.

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:51:58 PM »

Yes, ditto for me too.  For the exact reasons that the OP listed.

-J

TD99

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »

Yeah, because I really don't want 254 emails because I was outside washing my car (yes, this happened to me last weekend).

FWIW, I submitted a feature request to D-Link Support. It took 3 emails with 3 different reps before they finally understood what I was requesting.

Me:
This is a feature request for future use. I just bought 4 of these and like them. I do have a suggestion for a future revision of firmware. Regarding Motion Detection. You can either set the camera to email or FTP either on a schedule OR when motion is detected, but not both.

I would like the motion detection to only send alerts on a schedule I set. For example, I would like the motion detection function to email me when it detects motion, but only while I am at work Mon-Fri. I do not need alerts while I am at home. Currently, I receive an email alert every time I turn on or off the lights within my house while I am at home. Very unnecessary!

D-Link Support:
We do in fact offer the capability for the DCS-Camera to E-mail you motion detection shots based on schedule in our DCS-930L. Please download the manual form our support site to view how to configure Mail services.

Me:
I have reviewed the manual and nowhere does it say that the camera can be configured to email and/or FTP captured images using motion detection AND on a schedule. See pages 31-34. In fact, the manual doesn't even mention Motion Detection as an option in the "Time Schedule" sections. Please advise.

D-Link Support:
You will need to use the D-View Cam software to do schedule motion detection and email/FTP. The software will have to be continuously running on a computer to be able to record the motion detection and send it to email/FTP. The software and manual can be downloaded from the link given below. 
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DCS-930L&tab=3.addition

Me:
Thanks, I realize that. If you actually read my original email, you will see that is a feature request for a future revision of the firmware.

TD99

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »

I received 984 emails over a two-day period last weekend because the wife and I were outside detailing our cars, landscaping, etc.

This device sorely needs the ability to set motion detection to a schedule. How the engineers could leave that out is beyond me. I guess they were assuming 100% of the users would be using it to monitor an indoor room for employees, burglaries, etc.

pykr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »

i would like this feature as well.  i emailed cust support and they replied back after a few days:
"I will forward your suggestion to our PLM Team for future consideration."

sdhruva

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 02:38:58 PM »

I think this is a very valid request and Dlink should seriously work on this. Without the "both" feature, it becomes annoyance. Dlink....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take this on priority. Workaround to keep computer on should not be considered as solution.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 05:16:25 AM »

I agree with you 100%.

There are other D-Link products in these forums (the DNS series in particular) whose threads are actually monitored by D-Link. I've personally seen recommended changes work their way into firmware, including a few of my own. Unfortunately, I do not see any indication of D-Link representatives actively or passively reviewing the DCS series forum content.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

harrv

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »

Agree 100% with this thread. If I could choose what the D-Link team works on next, this would be it.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »

Agree 100% with this thread. If I could choose what the D-Link team works on next, this would be it.

Unfortunately, we don't know where/how D-Link obtains their approved list of changes and how they are prioritized for future releases.

zablalbaz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 09:53:35 AM »

Just want to add my vote in this thread to get this feature added to a future firmware update.  I just tried using the motion detection feature to send emails with picture caps to my gmail account via the gmail smtp servers.  I actually spammed my own account closed. :) Google thought I was a spammer and shut my email account down for 24hours.

The ability to set motion detection up with a schedule is a must have. It is absolutely useless in its current state.

zablalbaz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 10:25:12 AM »

I also just sent an email to their tech support to ask why this feature was not available in the firmware menu.  It seems silly to me that we can have scheduled pictures, and motion detection separately but not both together as an option.

Here is the link I found with a google search:
http://www.dlink.com/support/?pid=DCS-930L&tab=0

Maybe if enough of us send emails to them someone will listen. I'm not holding my breath though.

A buddy of mine did tell me that the Foscam FI8918W will do scheduled motion detection via the firmware interface.  Might be time to give that a try.

Good luck to everyone else with this issue!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 10:33:40 AM »

I also just sent an email to their tech support to ask why this feature was not available in the firmware menu.  It seems silly to me that we can have scheduled pictures, and motion detection separately but not both together as an option.

You're correct in that this is an obvious feature, and it's not all that difficult to program either. The real issue stems from the resources D-Link is willing (or able) to commit to firmware updates. The company seems to have lots going on with the DCS series, two new DCS models are making their way that look like successors to the DCS-930L and DCS-932L.

fecauk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »

I'm extremely sad to find this post :( I bought one of these the other day because I needed the option to schedule the motion detector to send images either by email or ftp every day between 9am and 6pm while I'm at work.

Please D-Link, update the software. That would be the perfect Christmas present for me :)

frian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »

Hi there,

there is a simple solution when you want to combine motion detection with a schedule:
Plug the camera to a time switch. Yeah, I know, it is a bit ridiculous but it works.

Hope that helps,
F
Pages: [1] 2